Notes: Jones appeal: I won't change the way I play; Iloka rests

Notes: Jones appeal: I won't change the way I play; Iloka rests

Posted 2 hours ago

Cornerback Adam Jones began his group interview before Wednesday’s practice with, “C’mon, let’s get this over with,” and he ended it 14 minutes later with, “Now that was a great bleeping interview.”

Jones allowed that he’d been fined $35,000 for hitting a defenseless player when he ripped the helmet off Raiders rookie wide receiver Amari Cooper and threw his head on the helmet during Sunday’s 33-13 Opening Day victory in Oakland.

He also said he was going to appeal it.

“Too much,” Jones said.

He said he realized he let his temper get the better of him, but he also said it could happen again.

“Hopefully it won’t happen again,” Jones said.
“I can’t tell you that in the heat of the moment that it won’t happen again. I’ll do my best to keep my composure and not hurt my team.”

He also said a few times, "I won't change the way I play."

Jones didn’t delve into what ignited the play, although it appeared Cooper illegally blocked him by shoving his hands illegally under Jones’ face mask. But Jones was as defiant as contrite. He believes his past off-field transgressions have shaped reaction to his play on the field and while he expects it he’s frustrated his play on Sunday didn’t get noticed. In addition to helping stop Cooper, he logged a game-high 10 tackles on day defensive coordinator Paul Guenther said Jones played his best game in six seasons as a Bengal.

“Everybody is trying to make something way more bigger than it is,” Jones said. “It’s always going to be magnified when I do it, too.

“Everybody is talking about No. 89 (Cooper). He had four catches for 40 yards. If you want to talk about something, let’s talk about the game instead of everything else.”

INJURY UPDATE:  Starting safeties Reggie Nelson (groin) and  George Iloka (foot) didn’t practice Wednesday but they did take robust turns in the stretching line. Nelson played 85 percent of the snaps on Sunday and appeared to be fine after missing Thursday’s practice last week. Iloka played  19 snaps on Sunday before he got got hurt, but he was doing some running  on the sidelines in the second half.

Rookie backups (cornerback ) Josh Shaw (groin) and (defensive  lineman) Marcus Hardison (knee) didn’t work after being inactive Sunday.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Jones-appeal-I-wont-change-the-way-I-play-Iloka-rests/80ed550f-f594-4edb-9037-901e91b8d80b

I think Nelson and Iloka both play.

The Bengals DL will likey make defending the run a priority so the secondary needs to be the difference in the game.

They don't have to be perfect, just deeper and better overall than the Charger counterparts.

Won't be easy.

Verrett is a pocket sized badass I liked just as much as Dennard.

Archived