Chargers Tailgate Bourbon Question...

Numbers

Went to the distillery today.   Picked up some stuff unavailable outside the distillery.  Two different bourbons with two distinct taste.

Old Tub :   Can't buy outside the distillery.  Beam was called Old Tub at one point in time.  Somewhat similar to Jim Beam Bonded. 

Knob Creek Single Barrel :  Can buy outside in a liquor store but this one I bottled myself.  From the start to the final wax seal that I have my thumb print embedded.  Stronger taste than Willett but has a similar sweet taste.

Two very good bourbons that I will leave up to the board to decide which one to bring to the Chargers game and which one goes to the Chiefs game.  

Went to the distillery today.   Picked up some stuff unavailable outside the distillery.  Two different bourbons with two distinct taste.

Old Tub :   Can't buy outside the distillery.  Beam was called Old Tub at one point in time.  Somewhat similar to Jim Beam Bonded. 

Knob Creek Single Barrel :  Can buy outside in a liquor store but this one I bottled myself.  From the start to the final wax seal that I have my thumb print embedded.  Stronger taste than Willett but has a similar sweet taste.

Two very good bourbons that I will leave up to the board to decide which one to bring to the Chargers game and which one goes to the Chiefs game.  

f07fddf63c9ca34d48172a449b5c50fd.jpg

Is Creek considered a sweeter bourbon?  To me it has a kind of smoky flavor & is less sweet than some others in that range (Maker's, Woodford, etc)

To me, Knob Creek has a definite bite and is a shade or two sweeter than Bookers. Depends kinda upon which variety you pick up but it all to me has a smokey taste to it. Probably the charred barrel I'd guess.

Quote unquote, according to my most recent " tour " the more a bourbon ages, the less proof it becomes and also becomes sweeter tasting from the natural sugars in the wood barrel.

Mila Kunis no longer has her barrel in the rick house at the Jim Beam distillery. However, I think a portion of the barrel exists in management's office.

I would be inclined towards Old Tub. Hopefully I will get there in time to inspect.

Old Tub it is. The bottle is small. However, a little goes a long way. I had Elijah Craig 12 and 23 year old last night. 23 year old solid winner but the 12 was more potent. Now have limited edition Wild Turkey... It will make it's appearance this year. Never had the Turkey like this before so it will be a surprise to me too.

• 4 weeks later...

So while we're on bourbon..  Seems like some of y'all know your booze - what should I try next since I like Creek? I've been working my way through similar tier stuff, pretty heroic sacrifice on my part I know, but Knob Creek is my favorite so far out of Maker's, Rare Breed (prob #2), Bulleit, Craig, Woodford, 4 Roses.. 

Is Ancient Ancient Age (that's not a typo) still a thing?  Bang for the buck, it's a good deal.  It's still in the lower reaches, though.

I went on a distillery tour at several places one year, Four Roses was one of the stops.  They let you drink the white dog, which is the stuff that comes right off the distillation column.  Dangerous.  There was the sweetest old woman who did part of the tour, and she pointed out a nook underneath one of the columns, where an in-her-words "lazy colored boy who used to work for us" used to hide and take naps.

• 2 weeks later...

So while we're on bourbon..  Seems like some of y'all know your booze - what should I try next since I like Creek? I've been working my way through similar tier stuff, pretty heroic sacrifice on my part I know, but Knob Creek is my favorite so far out of Maker's, Rare Breed (prob #2), Bulleit, Craig, Woodford, 4 Roses.. 

Jim Beam Bonded.  Comes out of the same source as Knob Creek.  ...or if you are in Las Vegas there is a pretty tasty craft distillery there.  Elf can give you directions.

Jim Beam Bonded.  Comes out of the same source as Knob Creek.  ...or if you are in Las Vegas there is a pretty tasty craft distillery there.  Elf can give you directions.

Cool, thanks. I like standard-issue Beam well enough.  I'm in SW Ohio but Kentucky is close so there are a lot of options.  Unfortunately I've read that the vast majority of "Craft" sellers are buying the same liquor from one of maybe 3 sources and then aging it to their own spec.  Not quite the same thing.

Cool, thanks. I like standard-issue Beam well enough.  I'm in SW Ohio but Kentucky is close so there are a lot of options.  Unfortunately I've read that the vast majority of "Craft" sellers are buying the same liquor from one of maybe 3 sources and then aging it to their own spec.  Not quite the same thing.

Willett is considered a craft distillery. It is distilled, barreled, aged, and bottled all within the company grounds. The smell of a barrel house in summer is awesome unless you have a hangover...

Willett also has an off shoot called Rowan Creek that might be worth a try. I haven't found ANYTHING from Willett that is not some of the best. I am warning up a bit more to Jim Beam lately. It's closer to the house and they now have a BBQ joint on the company grounds. Willett is currently building a Bed and breakfast housing area which is also just down the street from Heaven Hill distillery... ( Elijah Craig )...

Most, if not all, distilleries give military discounts and that sometimes makes it free.

Archived