The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - Chargers

The Good

Andy Dalton, great game

Hue Jackson, after a slow start where I thought he was being too cute, he called a good game. That Fisher play was sweet

Gio Bernard - way to come in and beast it like you did your rookie year

Marvin Jones - what a pretty playe

Tyler Eiffert - great TD route

AJ - his TD was toes down

Geno - He's back!!! Man among boys.

The rest of the DEs - Gillbery, Carlos, and Clarke all had good games, even MJ looked better as the game went on in run containment

2ndary - other than Dre losing that TD I thought he had a good game, Leon in the slot and Adam Jones both had good games

Vinnie Ray - not the best out there but ended the game for us

Huber - that deep punt was nice

The bad

Dre K's giving up the TD

The Ugly

Jeremey Hill's fumbling 

Linebackers in the short pass game and in the running game 

GOOD
Geno Atkins being held and still gets an 8 yard TFL on Gordon
Andy Dalton’s in stride hook up with Marvin Jones
Gio Bernard
Jake Fisher 1st Down reception
Kirkpatrick’s Tackling
Crowd Noise
4th Quarter Punt by Huber to pin the Chargers on their first possession
Pass rush

BAD
Nugent Miss
2 Hill Turnovers
Dalton and Green still look off on the deep ball
Run defense

UGLY
Vinnie Rey’s tackling

Its absolutely crazy the impact that Geno has in the middle of the line. But Peko's play is more and more aggravating. If we had a player with a BIT of talent next to Geno, that line could be fucking dirty.

Jeremy Hill....I don't know. What the hell is going on there?

Dalton has earned some faith. His touch on the long ball was a bit off later in the game, but goddamn he was throwing some darts.

I personally thought Hue called a mostly terrible game. I don't think he understands the weapons that he has. Eifert NEEDS to be targeted more. You cannot have a guy who simply catches everything and not throw the ball to him. I want 10+ targets a game, because he has elite talent.

Hmmm....besides that TD where there was some obvious miscommunication, I thought Kirk played well. Leon's resurgence continues. That 2 pt conversion stop was huge.

The linebackers, though. Interception aside, I honestly think we need to do something. Kick tires on somebody. I don't know. Make a move. Those underneath crossing routes will kill us all year.

Not much to add to the above so few random thoughts.

Dunno what was up with Gio last season, but this year he's getting it done.

Pacman is ridiculously good/important this year.

I think the two seasons spent making up for Geno's injury/sucking has meant Peko is completely spent. I love him, but his time has passed.

Geno is back. Unf.

Andy with some zip!

Good:

- Dalton sharp again (sure he missed a couple deep balls down the side, but that's his M.O.)

- Pass pro was almost dominant again, and the run blocking was better than last week

- Gio rejuvenated

- Corners played well

- Marvin Jones starting to heat up

- My boy Geno!

Bad:

- Run defense/tackling was quite poor early on.

- Mid-level pass coverage was brutal at times.  Without Geno in there Rivers would have shredded us.

- As many said, the general LB play has to improve.  We can't beat teams like Pittsburgh doing that, they'll just chip away until it's convenient to go over our heads to Brown.

Ugly:

- Bad turnovers from Hill (hard to trust him after that, at least for the rest of this game - the coaches did the right thing)

- Really bad miss by Nugent - 36 yards with little wind, ball in the middle of the field?  That really made a difference in how the game was planned/played late and could have been a back-breaker.

The Good:

Gio looks much better now than he did in the preseason speed/movement wise

Dalton has played well and smart

Eifert/Jones helping out AJ

The DL (for pass rush) until they got gassed

Our CBs in coverage

Geno is fully back

The Bad:

Reggie Nelson not being over top and giving up the long TD to Floyd

Tackling for everyone

Our LBs

Our DEs containing the run on the backside

Our DBs tackling in run support was terrible this week compared to last week

The Ugly:

Nugent's miss

Jeremy Hill dropping the pitch he was focused on the run because the edge was blocked pretty well. He would have ran for a while.

Our punt gunners falling for the fair catch punt signal. We got lucky with a great bounce one time and the other time we should have downed it easily and instead it went into the endzone

The refs. That was one of the worst ref'd games I've ever seen. Multiple times we had OL without helmets due to hands to the face by their DL never called. 2 block in the backs and a hold on stevie johnsons TD and not a flag. A few of Gordon/Woodheads big runs were big time assisted by our DEs and outside corners being held like no other to set up the runs. Leon Hall about got his arm yanked off on the one play by a WR to pull him away from a tackle that sprung a 17+ yard run in a key spot of the game. There were so many missed calls in that game it was unreal. We also got flagged for a ton of penalties way after the play. Even when the refs got the calls right they took forever to actually do it and missed a ton of obvious play altering calls.

I don't mind Jeremy Hill's first fumble because 1) he was down 2) his momentum was WAY beyond stopped and should have never been ruled a fumble and 3) it looked like his season was about to be ended by a knee injury and I'd stop worrying about trying to squeeze the death out of the ball when I feel my knee starting to bend the wrong way.

Archived