The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - Chargers

Dre was actually a big reason the running D suffered.

I ain't mad.

Kirkpatrick made a great saving tackle on one of Gordons runs. They never showed an angle showing where the safeties were so I can't say for certain Gordon would have scored, but that's the way it looked from my couch.

IMHO the running game suffered because the Bengals kept crashing their DE's inside. Dunlap and Johnson both surrendered the edge far more often than normal and Gordon routinely beat the coverage to the outside.

I ain't mad.

Kirkpatrick made a great saving tackle on one of Gordons runs. They never showed an angle showing where the safeties were so I can't say for certain Gordon would have scored, but that's the way it looked from my couch.

IMHO the running game suffered because the Bengals kept crashing their DE's inside. Dunlap and Johnson both surrendered the edge far more often than normal and Gordon routinely beat the coverage to the outside.

And a lot of holds. I'm not saying that the run D wasn't crappy, but there was a lot of missed holding. I agree about the edge, DE's were getting sucked in for no reason. Gordon doesn't require that much of a mob.

And a lot of holds. I'm not saying that the run D wasn't crappy, but there was a lot of missed holding.

Yeah, I just waded through a 136 page game thread on Chargers.com and one thing stood out. A surprising number of Charger fans admitted they got the benefit of plenty of non-calls, including a bunch of holds.

Some of them seemed to be in a mild state of shock about how badly both of the Chargers lines were outplayed. Their pregame thread was filled to overflowing with predictions of blowouts and forcing Dalton to make mistake after mistake, but on the few occasions where they got heat it was mostly due to a player being unblocked, and Dalton was able to throw the ball away on all but one of those. The exception was the tuck rule play, and even there most Charger fans admitted the refs got that one right. 

I agree about the edge, DE's were getting sucked in for no reason. Gordon doesn't require that much of a mob.

Bengals weren't getting sucked in IMHO. Definately gameplanned that way from the start. Bengals had plenty of coverage on the edge even after the ends crash inside, but Gordon kept beating all of those guys to the outside.

Just guessing, but against a familiar foe like Baltimore I'm guessing the go back to having their DE's set the edge more often.

Somebody is still supposed to have contain when the DEs are stunted inside. Especially when the DEs are stunted inside.

I agree that Dre saved some TDs on blown run D. But look at him on the first long run by M. Gordon (12:46 1st qtr).  I still for the life of me can't understand why he appears to be blocking the DB away from the los.  It's as if he decided to play role reversal for one play.  

Can anyone throw a vine or clip up? 

Do you have a quote from someone saying so?

Otherwise I tend to believe it was Dre getting beat on a double move like he is susceptible to.

Reggie said it to whoever the local Fox 19 reporter is. Joe something. I heard it on 1360 this morning during Chick Ludwig's monday morning show while I was driving to work.

I mean honestly that late in the game they aren't going to put their corners on an island knowing SD needs to go deep and score fast. When the play happened Dre started with him and as Floyd passed him he put his arm out behind him like he was signaling to Reggie Nelson and turned around and his reaction when he saw Reggie wasn't in position was kinda funny too.

Nelson had a really bad game yesterday which is very uncommon for him. He's usually one of our most reliable. I know he was injured last week so I wonder if he was a little more hurt because it was his worst game in the last couple years probably.

Reggie said it to whoever the local Fox 19 reporter is. Joe something. I heard it on 1360 this morning during Chick Ludwig's monday morning show while I was driving to work.

I mean honestly that late in the game they aren't going to put their corners on an island knowing SD needs to go deep and score fast. When the play happened Dre started with him and as Floyd passed him he put his arm out behind him like he was signaling to Reggie Nelson and turned around and his reaction when he saw Reggie wasn't in position was kinda funny too.

Nelson had a really bad game yesterday which is very uncommon for him. He's usually one of our most reliable. I know he was injured last week so I wonder if he was a little more hurt because it was his worst game in the last couple years probably.

Do you have a link? Id like to hear it.

FANTASTIC
Being at the game with great seats

IMG_1048_zps4puzs9df.jpg

BEAUTIFUL
Having Katherine Webb-McCarron 5 rows in front of us

IMG_1237_zpsu7tmajq8.jpg

GOOD
Toe-tapping TD by Green
Dalton

Eifert TD
Geno & Gilberry

Gio Bernard....shutting up the haters

Pacman is a tackling machine this season

BAD
1st half run defense

UGLY
Vinnie Rey...minus his INT he was awful

Hill's ball security (& sideline pouting after being pulled)

Props to BigDawg on the Footballpros wesbite for making the vine.  You have to admit, Dre is doing some wacky stuff here:

https://vine.co/v/ePvIEiHH5ug

Haha I knew exactly what play you were referencing. That one had me cracking up.

For how good our entire team tackled, contained and played the run last week. They all sucked this week. Especially the safeties, DEs, LBs and corners. The only guys that seemed to play well vs the run were the DTs. It was ugly but they toughened up in the redzone at least.

Somebody is still supposed to have contain when the DEs are stunted inside. Especially when the DEs are stunted inside.

Agreed. The defenders were there. Gordon just beat them.

Props to BigDawg on the Footballpros wesbite for making the vine.  You have to admit, Dre is doing some wacky stuff here:

https://vine.co/v/ePvIEiHH5ug

Well, you can't accuse him of peeking into the backfield on that play...or even acknowledging the RB for that matter.

Seems totally focused on taking Keenan Allen out of the play...and lets the back run right by him. 

Is it possible he was trying too hard to get physical early in the game with a WR known for being inconsistent?

Agreed. The defenders were there. Gordon just beat them.

https://vine.co/v/ePnPjX26XIF

This isn't a perimeter play but it is a fine example of Vinny Rey not doing his job. Rey M ably fills the whole and, for some reason, Vinny gets right behind him -- rather than plugging the lane that's in front of him. 

(I could nitpick here that ideally you'd like Peko to get some push to narrow that lane, or at least throw an arm out, but...)

At least Rey fessed up to his poor play post-game.  I wonder if that will result in any fixes?

FANTASTIC
Being at the game with great seats

IMG_1048_zps4puzs9df.jpg

BEAUTIFUL
Having Katherine Webb-McCarron 5 rows in front of us

IMG_1237_zpsu7tmajq8.jpg

GOOD
Toe-tapping TD by Green
Dalton

Eifert TD
Geno & Gilberry

Gio Bernard....shutting up the haters

Pacman is a tackling machine this season

BAD
1st half run defense

UGLY
Vinnie Rey...minus his INT he was awful

Hill's ball security (& sideline pouting after being pulled)

Nice, thanks for sharing.  Look at the club seats behind that and you'll see a few others.

I ain't mad.

Gordon is a very talented RB and we'll will see that as the season goes on. I'm impressed we held him to what we did because other defenses won't.

Gordon is a very talented RB and we'll will see that as the season goes on. I'm impressed we held him to what we did because other defenses won't.

I concur.  I watched both Sd Games and he is the total package...speed, agility, escapability, power, vision.  Kinda reminds me of that RB SD used to have years ago....Anderson...first name eludes me...Gary?

Archived