Bengals OC Jackson calls out A.J. Green for quitting on near interception

Bengals OC Jackson calls out A.J. Green for quitting on near interception

110214-FSO-NFL-CIN-Green-PI.vadapt.620.h
Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson did not like what he saw from A.J. Green during one play in Sunday's win over San Diego, and he let him know about it. 

It happened early in the fourth quarter with the Bengals inside the Chargers' 5-yard line. Quarterback Andy Dalton was looking for Green on a quick screen, but his pass was tipped by linebacker Melvin Ingram. As corner Jason Verrett went for the interception, Green didn't exactly hustle to make a play for the ball, although it looked like he also may have slipped on the play. Luckily for Green -- and the Bengals -- Verrett didn't come up with the pick, and the Bengals scored on the very next play to go ahead 24-13.

Regardless of whether Green slipped, Jackson had a simple message for Green. 

"It's as simple as that: There's the ball," Jackson said via the Cincinnati Enquirer. "See ball, get ball. It's just what we do. I think the mindset of how we go about things is starting to change, and it has to continue to change as we ratchet this thing up as we keep going." 

Asked if he spoke with Green about the play, Jackson responded in the affirmative. 

"Yes I have," Jackson said. "I don't miss anything. We need to continue to grow. We're not there yet. We're still a work in progress. But it's fun to have a lot of work to do and be 2-0. To have a lot of work to do and have some of the success we have had. Because what you're selling, guys buy. It makes sense. So we'll just keep chugging away at it and continue to get better."

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cincinnati-bengals-aj-green-hue-jackson-quits-on-play-san-diego-chargers-092215

Like I mentioned in another thread, AJ almost seemed to think that the pass may have been headed to Sanu and that's why not only did he not actively go after the catch, but actually appeared to pull back from it.  In other words, maybe he didn't notice the tipped pass and assumed Sanu was the target.  Just a theory, and I'm generally not one to make excuses for AJ since I think he does exhibit lack of effort on some occasions.

:shrug:

Like I mentioned in another thread, AJ almost seemed to think that the pass may have been headed to Sanu and that's why not only did he not actively go after the catch, but actually appeared to pull back from it.  In other words, maybe he didn't notice the tipped pass and assumed Sanu was the target.  Just a theory, and I'm generally not one to make excuses for AJ since I think he does exhibit lack of effort on some occasions.

:shrug:

AJ was the intended target, Sanu was blocking his man for him, but had to pull up on his block because he can't block before AJ catches the ball.

maybe Hue can fight him at halftime?     Gets kinda old, IMO, of Hue's tough guy approach knowing  Chad Johnson went off the rails under his watch.      Now we are looking for faults?  OK.     Whatever Hue just get the points on the board and STFU don't need the weekly infomercial for your candidacy for the next open head coaching position.

All offseason it was we didn't win in Indy because we didn't have these players available now we are calling them out on this, OK? 

Yes Hue is calling out the Bengals supposed 'best player' who sometimes plays like he is afraid to get his uniform dirty. I got zero problem with it. If AJ played the physical part of the game the way he did his rookie season it would be a moot point. If that ball would have been picked off and cost us the game many here would be whining about how Dalton threw the pick that cost us the game...when in fact Green would be to blame. Kudos to Hue for recognizing that our suppossed stud doesn't always give a stud effort.

Yes Hue is calling out the Bengals supposed 'best player' who sometimes plays like he is afraid to get his uniform dirty. I got zero problem with it. If AJ played the physical part of the game the way he did his rookie season it would be a moot point. If that ball would have been picked off and cost us the game many here would be whining about how Dalton threw the pick that cost us the game...when in fact Green would be to blame. Kudos to Hue for recognizing that our suppossed stud doesn't always give a stud effort.

BS.   How  many passes has Andy gotten batted this season?  Are we up to 4 or 5?     A coach can call anyone out on anything inside PBS walls.    Make it public and it sounds like hot air, IMO.

D-linemen seemingly knowing when to jump and time the jump doesn't indicate an issue with predictability or telegraphing and that doesn't need to be addressed? 

He called another play out last season to deflect away that it was a predictable call. 

BS.   How  many passes has Andy gotten batted this season?  Are we up to 4 or 5?     A coach can call anyone out on anything inside PBS walls.    Make it public and it sounds like hot air, IMO.

D-linemen seemingly knowing when to jump and time the jump doesn't indicate an issue with predictability or telegraphing and that doesn't need to be addressed? 

He called another play out last to deflect away that it was a predictable call. 

I agree that calling out players in public isn't usually a good thing.  Hard to tell what has happened behind closed doors or if Hue knows Green well enough to know saying something in public would be effective.  

I also see a difference in execution and effort.  Dalton does have a problem with tipped balls, but is it an execution issue or an effort issue?  You work on execution, but what good is it to scold someone because they don't do something well?  Not even trying, as in the Green case, seems to be an effort issue to me. He should be called out, but most likely behind closed doors.

I agree that calling out players in public isn't usually a good thing.  Hard to tell what has happened behind closed doors or if Hue knows Green well enough to know saying something in public would be effective.  

I also see a difference in execution and effort.  Dalton does have a problem with tipped balls, but is it an execution issue or an effort issue?  You work on execution, but what good is it to scold someone because they don't do something well?  Not even trying, as in the Green case, seems to be an effort issue to me. He should be called out, but most likely behind closed doors.

I don't know if it's a good or bad thing.    I think it's self promotion that he's done since Hard Knocks because he has a bug up his ass about not being a head coach.

I think very little of this has to do with improvement of the team.      Issues on execution or effort, if you were going to harp on something publically(offensively) it would be Hill's fumbles and tipped passes.

More established coaches have burned through their rope with players by doing this.    He's walking a thin line, IMO for self promotion.   The downside will be when they truly need a public ass chewing that players don't really care because they've been in the headlines before what's the 5th or 6th time Hue playing that card going to do?  

Might want to play this card the week up to the playoffs. 

He called another play out last season to deflect away that it was a predictable call. 

2015 top ten balls hit at the line

Cam Newton 7

Dalton 4

Ryan Tannehill 4

Peyton Manning 3

Matt Ryan 3

Matthew Stafford 3

Carson Palmer 3

Drew Brees 2

Alex Smith 2

Jimmy Clausen 2

Archived