So who's going to get cut...

Hmm!.  Not sure why ESPN is showing Mark Weisman at QB.  I think he was a full back that was waived after the pre-season and a short stent pn the IR list.  If an LB is cut when Burfict returns, then it could be Carter or Hawk.  (neither is eligible for the PS).  Hunt is a possibility, but I think he would actually be a good trade option for a future draft pick.  Derron Smith is a rookie who could go to the PS, but I think he is progressing well enough to keep on the 53 man roster.  Dawson is another option, But even though we are not seeing this rookie progress as much as Smith, its unlikely that the Bengals move him to the PS with what he got in his contract.   Another problem with moving players around in the PS, is that the current PS is actually a group of solid players that we are going to need as the season progresses.  You might end up robbing Peter to pay Paul with a PS move.  So, IMO, I think its Carter.  He has enough experience where he would land on his feet with another team who needs a hybrid LB/DE. (Chicago?, Buffalo?  Miami?)  who knows.   

THEN there are the concussion issues with Burfict....................................................????

Hmm!.  Not sure why ESPN is showing Mark Weisman at QB.  I think he was a full back that was waived after the pre-season and a short stent pn the IR list.  If an LB is cut when Burfict returns, then it could be Carter or Hawk.  (neither is eligible for the PS).  Hunt is a possibility, but I think he would actually be a good trade option for a future draft pick.  Derron Smith is a rookie who could go to the PS, but I think he is progressing well enough to keep on the 53 man roster.  Dawson is another option, But even though we are not seeing this rookie progress as much as Smith, its unlikely that the Bengals move him to the PS with what he got in his contract.   Another problem with moving players around in the PS, is that the current PS is actually a group of solid players that we are going to need as the season progresses.  You might end up robbing Peter to pay Paul with a PS move.  So, IMO, I think its Carter.  He has enough experience where he would land on his feet with another team who needs a hybrid LB/DE. (Chicago?, Buffalo?  Miami?)  who knows.   

THEN there are the concussion issues with Burfict....................................................????

They aren't cutting Dawson he was a 3rd round pick.

Burfict's concussion "issue" isn't a concern right now. He got an initial concussion from hitting a guy and then hit his head on the ground...1 year ago. He had no effects from it soon after and has had no recurring problems.

Burfict's concussion "issue" isn't a concern right now. He got an initial concussion from hitting a guy and then hit his head on the ground...1 year ago. He had no effects from it soon after and has had no recurring problems.

You're kidding yourself if you think it was one concussion.

From a insider I know,

They are more concerned with the multiple concussions he had last year, starting in pre-season and continued into the regular season.Five I think.

It was so bad that he was out on the slightest blow (hit Flacco in the stomach) and was twisting players ankles on the field and didn't recall it moments later.

The knee was initially used to cover the concussions but later learned he needed micro surgery.

There is a thought he may never play again as he couldn't shake it off (concussions) after months of recovery.

From a insider I know,

They are more concerned with the multiple concussions he had last year, starting in pre-season and continued into the regular season.Five I think.

It was so bad that he was out on the slightest blow (hit Flacco in the stomach) and was twisting players ankles on the field and didn't recall it moments later.

The knee was initially used to cover the concussions but later learned he needed micro surgery.

There is a thought he may never play again as he couldn't shake it off (concussions) after months of recovery.

Seriously???

First Odell, who was sensational and then flamed out so brillantly that he didn't come back, and now there is issues with Burfict and concussions??  I am thinking that we really are jinxed at Mike.   What in the hell did the Bengals did so long ago that make MLB always a problem spot???    Is this from Takeo going somewhere else instead of staying in the Nati when Marvin first got here.    I could believe that Marvin would want to make Takeo the Bengals version of Ray Lewis, and considering the time between his stint in Baltimore at the time and when he first came to Cincinnati.

For real though,  I really hope Vontaze is gonna be alright.  I want to see him playing again.

Seriously???

First Odell, who was sensational and then flamed out so brillantly that he didn't come back, and now there is issues with Burfict and concussions??  I am thinking that we really are jinxed at Mike.   What in the hell did the Bengals did so long ago that make MLB always a problem spot???    Is this from Takeo going somewhere else instead of staying in the Nati when Marvin first got here.    I could believe that Marvin would want to make Takeo the Bengals version of Ray Lewis, and considering the time between his stint in Baltimore at the time and when he first came to Cincinnati.

For real though,  I really hope Vontaze is gonna be alright.  I want to see him playing again.

It goes back a lot further than Odell Thurman...

Armegis Spearman was the All-Rookie MLB in 2000.  He tore a pec the next year and was out of the league by '03.

In '04, the Bengals traded for Nate Webster.  He led the team in tackles for three games before - of course - tearing his patellar tendon.

#SnakeBitten

It goes back a lot further than Odell Thurman...

Armegis Spearman was the All-Rookie MLB in 2000.  He tore a pec the next year and was out of the league by '03.

In '04, the Bengals traded for Nate Webster.  He led the team in tackles for three games before - of course - tearing his patellar tendon.

#SnakeBitten

I wonder if they may have thought of having a stock base defense where we have a heavy nickel (meaning that the nickelback--currently Leon Hall) is actually another safety.  It would take a LB off the field, and who knows, maybe the jinx would be just on the MiKE LB spot...so if we have our LBs not really considered as MiKE, maybe the jinx will rest for a bit.

.....seriously, I'm a little spooked now with that information...And Taze is our Pro Bowl man in the Middle.....freaks me out!!

From a insider I know,

If this is true it begs the question, what in the hell were they doing letting him play? 

If this is true it begs the question, what in the hell were they doing letting him play? 

Many of us wondered the same thing, with some of us calling for them to shut him down long before the knee became an issue.  The knee might never be right, but I would personally be incredibly surprised if his head can overcome the concussion history. Once it becomes a easy recurrence you're pretty much done.  Of course, I don't have a lot of examples of guys getting a full year off to "rest" either, so take that FWIW. 

He had just signed a new deal and was eager to show Marvin and Brown family they did the right thing.

He told them he was fine and denied he had the first few.

Really sucks if it cost him his NFL career and has lasting effects.

its been hush-hush since last year so hopefully he has made a miraculous recovery.

We need him this year.

its been hush-hush since last year so hopefully he has made a miraculous recovery.

Which is really weird to me because I thought it was painfully obvious that he was getting his bell rung every time he made a tackle, stumbling around & generally acting punch drunk enough to where I could see it at home.  I mention that here though & people want to argue, so maybe it wasn't so obvious.  Maybe it's because I've been concussed before myself, IDK, I'd assume everyone has at some point in their life unless they live in a bubble.  Could also be a case of having the blinders on because yeah, it totally sucks so a bit of denial is understandable.  I've been saying since he went on IR that the knee was the least of my concerns but I sure would've been happy to be wrong about this one.

I, too, was yelling at the TV for Marvin to shut him down immediately but you know what a joke the NFL's concussion protocol really is, er I'm sorry I mean "concussion-like symptoms".  Like it might actually be a sprained elbow causing him to hold his head and stumble to the wrong sideline. He'll be back out for the 2nd half though, no worries, the independent doctors say he's fine.  This league needs an enema but that's a different topic & a pointless one at that, so long as the money keeps coming in.

And finally, as I've said before, I'd feel a lot worse for him if this didn't happen because he was actively trying to spear people with his helmet.  Crazy to me that someone can make it to the NFL level tackling like that, but I guess not every coach beats the "eyes up!" stuff into their players the way my HS coaches did, or that it's the other guy's momentum that actually creates a big hit.. I just assumed that was standard, as much of an issue as they made about it.  Hell just show them tape of Hall, that dude is textbook AFAIK.  Could probably count the # of broken tackles against him on your fingers.

if he's activated, we will find out in a couple of games if he's ok, if he gets concussed again in that short time, I would guess it's over and they medically release him.

He may be the difference between a good team and a superbowl champion.

If they don't activate him, he gets released obviously.

Archived