Able Danger - 9/11 commission losing credibility

Guest bengalrick

Guest bengalrick

[url="http://www.nbc4.com/news/4829718/detail.html"]nbc.com[/url]

[quote][b]Potential 9/11 Hijackers Identified Year Before[/b]
Identities Of Possible Terrorists Never Given To Law Enforcement

POSTED: 4:32 pm EDT August 9, 2005
UPDATED: 4:56 pm EDT August 9, 2005

WASHINGTON -- A Pennsylvania lawmaker says the ringleader of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and three other hijackers had been identified by intelligence officials more than a year before the attacks.

However, Republican Rep. Curt Weldon said the information showing that Mohammed Atta and the three others might have terror connections was never forwarded to law enforcement.

Weldon serves as vice chairman of the House Armed Services and Homeland Security committees. He said the hijackers were identified by a classified military intelligence unit that determined the four could be members of an al-Qaida cell.

Weldon said the unit recommended the information be given to the FBI, but the Pentagon rejected the idea because the four were in the country legally.

A Pentagon spokesman said members of the commission on the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks looked into the matter during their investigation but chose not to include it in their final report.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.[/quote]

now the 9/11 commission wants to be reunited to check out this claim:

[url="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165268,00.html"]foxnews.com[/url]

[quote][b]Commission Urges Investigation Into 9/11 Claim [/b]
Wednesday, August 10, 2005

WASHINGTON — Lee Hamilton (search), co-chairman of the now-disbanded Sept. 11 commission, wants to know whether U.S. defense intelligence officials knew that four of the hijackers were part of an Al Qaeda cell but failed to tell law enforcement.

Hamilton said members of the commission could issue a statement by the end of the week after reviewing claims that more than a year before the 2001 attacks defense intelligence officials had identified ringleader Mohammed Atta (search) and three other hijackers who were inside the United States.

"The Sept. 11 commission (search) did not learn of any U.S. government knowledge prior to 9/11 of surveillance of Mohammed Atta or of his cell," said Hamilton, a former Democratic congressman from Indiana. [b]"Had we learned of it obviously it would've been a major focus of our investigation."[/b]

Hamilton's remarks Tuesday came after the findings of Rep. Curt Weldon (search), a Pennsylvania Republican who serves as vice chairman of the House Armed Services and Homeland Security committees, made front-page news.

In June, Weldon displayed charts on the floor of the U.S. Senate showing that a classified military intelligence unit known as "Able Danger (search)" identified the men in 1999. That unit repeatedly asked for the information to be forwarded to the FBI but apparently to no avail. Various news outlets picked up on the story this week.

Weldon told FOX News on Wednesday that staff members of the Sept. 11 commission were briefed at least once by officials with Able Danger but that he does not believe the message was sent to the commissioners themselves. He also said some phone calls made by military officials with Able Danger to the commission staff went unreturned.

"[b]Why weren't they briefed? Was there some deliberate attempt at the staff level of the 9/11 commission to steer the commissioners away of Able Danger because of where it might lead?" Weldon asked. "Why was there no mention of Able Danger?"[/b]

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said the Sept. 11 commission looked into the matter during its investigation of government missteps leading to the attacks and chose not to include it in the final report.

The commission's report on the terrorist attacks, released last year, traced government mistakes that allowed the hijackers to succeed. Among the problems the commission cited was a lack of coordination across intelligence agencies.

With the Sept. 11 commission disbanded for a year under provisions of the legislation that created it, some of the panel's members have said congressional committees should investigate Weldon's assertions.

Weldon told FOX News on Wednesday that several committees are investigating what happened.

"I can tell you right now, there are investigations going on right now … trying to get answers," Weldon said.

According to Weldon, Able Danger identified Atta, Marwan al-Shehhi (search), Khalid al-Mihdar (search) and Nawaf al-Hazmi (search) as members of a cell the unit code-named "Brooklyn" because of some loose connections to New York City.

Weldon said that in September 2000, Able Danger recommended on three separate occasions that its information on the hijackers be given to the FBI "so they could bring that cell in and take out the terrorists." However, Weldon said Pentagon lawyers rejected the recommendation because they said Atta and the others were in the country legally, so information on them could not be shared with law enforcement.

"Lawyers within the administration — and we're talking about the Clinton administration, not the Bush administration ... said 'you can't do it,'" and put post-its over Atta's face, Weldon said. "They said they were concerned about the political fallout that occurred after Waco ... and the Branch Davidians."

But Able Danger was largely using open-source information that was available on the Internet and other public mediums, Weldon said, adding that there was no law prohibiting such information from being passed on to law enforcement.

Click here for FOXNews.com's story on open-source information and the War on Terror.

Weldon did not provide details on how the intelligence officials identified the future hijackers and determined they might be part of a terrorist cell.

Bob Graham, former chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, told FOX News on Wednesday that Congress not only needs to investigate the Able Danger claims but also needs to investigate other related issues, such as how German intelligence agencies alerted the United States that members of the Hamburg Al Qaeda cell were coming to America. What also needs to be investigated further, Graham said, is how two Sept. 11 terrorists were living in a building in San Diego where their landlord was actually an FBI informant. The FBI is not saying what the informant told the agency about those terrorists, he said.

"I anticipate they'll [Congress] be getting on to their job with a great deal of commitment and expertise in this area. I hope it doesn't end with this one instance of why we didn't know about Atta," said Graham, author of "Intelligence Matters."

"There's not just one mystery here — there's a series of mysteries about why we didn't learn about this plot early enough to break it up," he added.

Defense Department documents shown to an Associated Press reporter Tuesday said the Able Danger team was set up in 1999 to identify potential Al Qaeda operatives for U.S. Special Operations Command. At some point, information provided to the team by the Army's Information Dominance Center pointed to a possible Al Qaeda cell in Brooklyn, the documents said.

However, because of concerns about pursuing information on "U.S. persons" — a legal term that includes U.S. citizens as well as foreigners admitted to the country for permanent residence — Special Operations Command did not provide the Army information to the FBI. It is unclear whether the Army provided the information to anyone else.

The command instead turned its focus to overseas threats.

The documents provided no information on whether the team identified anyone connected to the Sept. 11 attacks on New York City and Washington that killed nearly 3,000 people.

If the team did identify Atta and the others, it's unclear why the information wasn't forwarded. The prohibition against sharing intelligence on "U.S. persons" should not have applied since they were in the country on visas and did not have permanent resident status.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said he was unaware of the intelligence until the latest reports surfaced. But Weldon said Able Danger was disbanded shortly after the Sept. 11 attacks.

Hamilton said commission staff members learned of Able Danger during a meeting with military personnel in October 2003 in Afghanistan, but that the staff members do not recall learning of a connection between Able Danger and any of the four terrorists Weldon mentioned.

FOXNews.com's Liza Porteus and The Associated Press contributed to this report.[/quote]

two things to remember...

1. the patriot act could have stopped this.... we had enough information, but different organizations had the information and couldn't talk to us

2. SANDY BERGER[url="http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_2726143.shtml"]click here[/url]

yeah, this sandy berger who blasted bush for security failure... [url="http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/7/31/213142.shtml"]click here[/url]

fucking clinton... <_<

Guest bengalrick

i'm not saying that this is sound evidence, but many conservative blogs are hammering this story, and i'm not letting it go... i'll say this... if there is a link ... :mellow:

[url="http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/005188.php"]captainquartersblog.com[/url]
[url="http://www.redstate.org/story/2005/8/11/155343/851"]redstate.org[/url]
[url="http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050811/ap_on_go_co/sept_11_hijackers"]ap is also reporting that we knew...[/url]

this story is really gaining some steam... there COULD be a clinton administration cover up... there COULD be a 9/11 - iraq connection... yeah, i said it :o wow, would that change things... well, not really... wmd's, right?? -_- can't ever win...

just put two and two together and read the article and make your own presumptions... i haven't made up my mind if there is a 9/11 iraq connection, but after watching the 9/11 commissions credibility get flushed down the toliet, its hard to not consider it...

[i]Even without the possible Berger theft as part of the story, this constant shifting of the story underscores the massive credibility deficit that the Commission has now earned. First they never heard of Able Danger. Then, maybe a low-level staffer told them about the program but not the Atta identification. Next, the military met with the Commissioners but didn't specify the Atta identification. Now, we finally have confirmation that the Commission itself -- not just its low-level staff -- knew that military intelligence had identified Mohammed Atta as an al-Qaeda operative a year before 9/11. Instead of reporting it, the Commission buried it.[/i]

------------

[i]And please, let's remember what Commission co-chair Lee Hamilton had to say about this less than 48 hours ago:

"The Sept. 11 commission did not learn of any U.S. government knowledge prior to 9/11 of surveillance of Mohammed Atta or of his cell," said Hamilton, a former Democratic congressman from Indiana. "Had we learned of it obviously it would've been a major focus of our investigation."[/i]

------------

[i]The consistent denial of Atta meeting in Prague with Iraqi intelligence always stuck in the craw of those who followed the case closely. [b]Czech intelligence insists to this day that Atta met with the IIS in Prague on those dates.[/b] However, the Commission finally decided not to endorse it (Chapter 7 of their report). Why? Because it would have implicated Saddam Hussein in the 9/11 attacks -- and provided another, more immediate reason to invade Iraq, just when half of the committee wanted to avoid any such conclusions.

With that in mind, the correlation between the deliberate dumping of the Able Danger data from the report makes more sense. If Able Danger identified Atta correctly, it could have corroborated the timeline that fits with Czech intelligence on Atta's visit. [b]That meant that the Iraqis at least had contact with the local 9/11 mastermind, if not actively supported it.[/b] [/i]

------------------

i'll just leave it there... i'm sure that i'll get flamed by the left here, but oh well... i'm just wanting to know the truth...

[b]did we know about Atta before 9/11?[/b] (certainly appears so... matter of fact, this may be a fact at this point...)
[b]did Atta meet w/ saddam in Prague?[/b] (i have no fucking clue... but if they did, this would hurt the anti-war folks a little, considering i've heard this a thousand times... hell i even conceded that there was none... now, i'm not so sure...)
[b]does the 9/11 commission have zero credibility for changing their story 4 times in 3 days?[/b] (duh!!!)

lets hear it folks...

Guest BlackJesus

[i][b]So let me get this straight....

that would mean that we armed Saddam to fight Iran then armed Al Qaeda to fight the Soviets .... then told them both to go to hell after we were done using them as cannon fodder.... and then they could have met up and talked to eachother :o [/b][/i]

Guest steggyD

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Aug 12 2005, 10:58 AM'][i][b]So let me get this straight....

that would mean that we armed Saddam to fight Iran then armed Al Qaeda to fight the Soviets .... then told them both to go to hell after we were done using them as cannon fodder.... and then they could have met up and talked to eachother  :o [/b][/i]
[right][post="129321"][/post][/right][/quote]
Oh my god, for the millionth time, USA did not arm Iraq. :rant:

Guest bengalrick

bj... :blink: i can't believe you took what i posted and the reports that are coming out, and changed the topic to something that presidents 20 - 25 years ago maybe did (though steg had proved that that story was bullshit..) oh well, i guess we can't talk about how we knew about 4 terrorists and could have stopped the murders of 3000 americans... great....

btw, i have been trying to figure out why this is finally coming out... considering it was a bipartisan panel so it should have been fair... well it was... the dems' didn't want to hurt clinton, and the rep's didn't want to hurt bush...

in other words, if clinton knew, bush also knew... this able danger will change much of what we know about clinton and bush in consideration w/ terror...

either way, the 9/11 commission is useless now... time to open up the investigation...

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Aug 12 2005, 10:14 AM']bj...  :blink: i can't believe you took what i posted and the reports that are coming out, and changed the topic to something that presidents 20 - 25 years ago maybe did (though steg had proved that that story was bullshit..) oh well, i guess we can't talk about how we knew about 4 terrorists and could have stopped the murders of 3000 americans... great....

btw, i have been trying to figure out why this is finally coming out... considering it was a bipartisan panel so it should have been fair... well it was... the dems' didn't want to hurt clinton, and the rep's didn't want to hurt bush...

in other words, if clinton knew, bush also knew... this able danger will change much of what we know about clinton and bush in consideration w/ terror...

either way, the 9/11 commission is useless now... time to open up the investigation...
[right][post="129327"][/post][/right][/quote]

After reading the foxnews article and the ap article, i didnt see where it said the commision itself lied. I didnt bother reading the blog or redstate.org....... I can only guess which way they will slant the story. The foxnews one didnt seem to partisian though, the articles on there website are usually better than there Newschannel.

Guest BlackJesus
[i][b]for the millionth time we did arm Iraq..... and we aided them in the War against Iran.... but we also aided Iran..... [/b][/i]

[quote]1979: Saddm Seizes power with US approval; moves allegiance from Soviets to USA in Cold War.

1980: Invades Iran, then the [u]with US encouragement and arms.[/u]

1982: Reagan regime removes Saddam's regime from official US list of state sponsors of terrorism.

1983: Saddam hosts Donald Rumsfeld in Baghdad. Agrees to "go steady" with US corporate suppliers.

1984: US Commerce Department issues license for export of aflatoxin to Iraq useable in biological weapons.

1988: Kurds in Halabja, Iraq, gassed.

1987-88: [u]US warships destroy Iranian oil platforms in Gulf and break Iranian blockade of Iraq shipping lanes,[/u] tipping war advantage back to Saddam.[/quote]

Guest BlackJesus
[url="http://www.freedomunderground.org/memoryhole/pentagon.php#Main"]http://www.freedomunderground.org/memoryho...ntagon.php#Main[/url]

[i][b]sounds like Bengalrick.... might want to get this looked into [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img]

kidding,

maybe [/b][/i]

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Ben' date='Aug 12 2005, 10:17 AM']After reading the foxnews article and the ap article, i didnt see where it said the commision itself lied.  I didnt bother reading the blog or redstate.org....... I can only guess which way they will slant the story.  The foxnews one didnt seem to partisian though, the articles on there website are usually better than there Newschannel.
[right][post="129329"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

of course they are slanted... and lying might be a bad word... different members have changed tehir stories, or had different stories... the spokesman for the panel finally came out, and admitted that they knew all about able danger...

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050811/ap_on_go_co/sept_11_hijackers"]ap.com - posted on yahoo[/url]

[i]Al Felzenberg, spokesman for the commission's follow-up project called the 9/11 Public Discourse Project, had said earlier this week that the panel was unaware of intelligence specifically naming Atta. But he said subsequent information provided Wednesday confirmed that the commission had been aware of the intelligence.[/i]

later in that article - [i]According to Weldon, a classified military intelligence unit called "Able Danger" identified Atta and three other hijackers in 1999 as potential members of a terrorist cell in New York City. Weldon said Pentagon lawyers rejected the unit's recommendation that the information be turned over to the FBI in 2000.[/i]

[url="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165268,00.html"]foxnews.com[/url]

[i]"The Sept. 11 commission (search) did not learn of any U.S. government knowledge prior to 9/11 of surveillance of Mohammed Atta or of his cell," said Hamilton, a former Democratic congressman from Indiana. "Had we learned of it obviously it would've been a major focus of our investigation."[/i]

-from AP article again:

[i]Felzenberg said an unidentified person working with Weldon came forward Wednesday and described a meeting 10 days before the panel's report was issued last July. During it, a military official urged commission staffers to include a reference to the intelligence on Atta in the final report.

Felzenberg said checks were made and the details of the July 12, 2004, meeting were confirmed. Previous to that, Felzenberg said it was believed commission staffers knew about Able Danger from a meeting with military officials in
Afghanistan during which no mention was made of Atta or the other three hijackers.[/i]

many inconsistancies...

Guest steggyD
Give me proof of USA arming Iraq. Stop with your silly timelines. They make no sense. Iraq flew Russian and French jets. They were armed by Germany, Russia and France. Wow, the countries who opposed the war. Were they afraid to lose a customer, or were they afraid to be shot down by their own weapons? USA supplied support items, such as trucks, computer technology, etc. Early on in the 80's they supplied them with defender helicopters, the closest you'll get to weapons. If anything, we supplied Iran with weapons, when Iraq was getting close to victory. We couldn't allow the Iraqis to win, now could we?

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Aug 12 2005, 10:20 AM'][url="http://www.freedomunderground.org/memoryhole/pentagon.php#Main"]http://www.freedomunderground.org/memoryho...ntagon.php#Main[/url]

[i][b]sounds like Bengalrick.... might want to get this looked into  [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//23.gif[/img]
kidding,
maybe [/b][/i]
[right][post="129332"][/post][/right][/quote]

[url="http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warriorshtm/artfuldodger.htm"]click here[/url]

[img]http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/Assets/artfuldodger.jpg[/img]

[i]Artful Dodger is a nimble and elusive Warrior. When strongly attacked he changes the subject with a diversionary counterattack. For example, if in a moment of pique his opponent refers to him to him as a "sonofabitch", Artful Dodger will not only demand a public apology for the insult to his own mother, but will castigate his opponent on behalf all mothers everywhere. Knowing full well that staying on topic works to his disadvantage, Artful Dodger will not allow himself to be pinned down.[/i]

:whistle:

Rick;

I've noticed this story, too. I am not sure what to make of it yet. However, I would suggest that you look into Curt Weldon's background, especially his contacts with Gorbanifar and ilk. Gorbanifar was given a burn notice by CIA many moons ago. I'd want substantial independent verification of this outside of the old Iran-Contra networks and their intersection with Chalabi networks before I thought of it as more than a speculation/manipulation.

Guest steggyD
Here you go, BJ, a pretty fair and unbiased opinion:

[url="http://web.amnesty.org/pages/ttt4-article_7-eng"]amnesty international[/url]

They even give addresses to different embassies, so that you can ask which companies supplied technology to the Iraqi chemical, biological and other weapons programs. Then you can come back with better ammo.

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='Aug 12 2005, 10:43 AM']Rick;

I've noticed this story, too. I am not sure what to make of it yet. However, I would suggest that you look into Curt Weldon's background, especially his contacts with Gorbanifar and ilk. Gorbanifar was given a burn notice by CIA many moons ago. I'd want substantial independent verification of this outside of the old Iran-Contra networks and their intersection with Chalabi networks before I thought of it as more than a speculation/manipulation.
[right][post="129343"][/post][/right][/quote]

finally, a leveled headed opponent of the war... i will do just that homer :)

but he is just the one that brought out the story... it is now being confirmed by others in the commission... we'll see where the story goes though...

remember, i'm not giving bush the clear on this... i'm pissed it happened and we're finally hearing about it... if clinton and bush both knew about this at some point, the blame needs to be given to both... it sounds that the "wall" was the problem... we'll see though...

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Aug 12 2005, 10:46 AM'][i][b]Rick I never ask for apologies [/b][/i]
[right][post="129345"][/post][/right][/quote]

it wasn't a perfect analysis... actually, you fall into many categories in there, but nothing to a tee...

i was just making a point ;)

Guest steggyD
Isn't it your birthday BJ? Is this how you wanna spend it? Sit on the computer hatin' on your country, arguin' with a bunch of bull-headed patriots? Go have a drink, get laid.

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='steggyD' date='Aug 12 2005, 10:50 AM']Isn't it your birthday BJ? Is this how you wanna spend it? Sit on the computer hatin' on your country, arguin' with a bunch of [b]bull-headed patriots[/b]? Go have a drink, get laid.
[right][post="129353"][/post][/right][/quote]

damn right :D

Guest BlackJesus
[i][b][u]Here is one of the main problems I think Americans have when it comes to foriegn policy --- Short Memory[/u]

Things do not happen in a bubble. In the United states because of our fast pace and rampant consumerism we have short attention spans and forget things quickly. Hell most people gage the years off of which Survivor island we are competing on. However other nations without all the glitz, tabloid bullshit, and worries of a new prada bag remember things much longer. A good analogy is a rapist (US) who rapes 100 women. He may not remember all 100 women that he raped, his memory over time may even skew the details of the rape... but the woman (Other nations we fuck in the ass) remembers every single detail, when it happened, how long, how the guy smelled etc.

Thus you have people with long memories - Osama Bin Laden fighting a nation of people with ADD (America) and when he brings up the fact that he fought alongside us as comrades in Afghanistan, and his men spilled blood with us as allies.... and then aterwards we turned over his men to be tried in their home governments... and got him barred from his homeland in Saudi Arabia so he couldn't visit Mecca.... he remembers all that shit. The betrayal is very real to him and his followers. This is also multiplied by the fact that America does not teach our children "proper history" or Geography.... thus they don't understand timelines.... and the geo political order of why things in the world happened when they did.

To the reat of the world we are an inconsitent, hypocritical, war mongering, self righteous, bunch of self absorbed shit bags who drops bombs from the clouds and claim that we are there to rescue everyone. Our people claim we are the greatest nation on Earth, (most of these people have never traveled to even make that claim), and we keep backing dictators, and then when we are done having our hand up their ass we bomb the people who live in the country and tell them we are here for Democracy which is our gift to the world.... just not the nations like Pakistan, Israel, Uzbekistan, Most of Latin America, China etc etc where we have geo political and economic interests.[/b][/i]

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]Isn't it your birthday BJ? Is this how you wanna spend it? Sit on the computer hatin' on your country, arguin' with a bunch of bull-headed patriots? Go have a drink, get laid.[/quote]

[i][b]it is still early... plenty of time for that [/b][/i]

Guest bengalrick

me - "but we could have stopped 9/11 if we would have followed up w/ the intellegence of able danger"

bj - "we would have never been in this spot, if we didnt' help bin laden 30 years ago... so it doesn't matter"

:crazy: like i said, artful dodger...

Guest steggyD
Yeah, BJ, and all those other countries are so fuckin' innocent. Give me a break. You ever look up the history of other nations. France? China? Come on, give me a fuckin' break. Seems you have ADD and you can only find things wrong with the USA. Of course we can find what Osama did wrong and punish him for that. Just the same as someone in our own military, a US citizen, that fights with other US citizens, can be found guilty for something he did wrong and be thrown in jail. We don't excuse people for their wrong doings just because they fought alongside us against a common enemy. According to your logic, I shouldn't even punish my own children, because they live in my house and are my blood.

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]Of course we can find what Osama did wrong and punish him for that. Just the same as someone in our own military, a US citizen, that fights with other US citizens, can be found guilty for something he did wrong and be thrown in jail. We don't excuse people for their wrong doings just because they fought alongside us against a common enemy. According to your logic, I shouldn't even punish my own children, because they live in my house and are my blood.[/quote]

[i][b]Steggy Osama didn't do anything to the US after the Afghan War to deserve us turning on him as an allie..... he fought as what he was.... a staunch muslim who believed in lieralist interpretations of the Qur'an and Islamic Law. What did he do after the Afghan war to deserve going from Allie to Foe. He got pissed with Saudi Arabia (his home naion) for them letting us use what he deemed holy land as a base for attacks on Iraq in Bush War I. That wasn't our business.... then because of that we labeled him a terrorist against us.... And don't say the Coles attacks etc... those were much later after we turned over all his deputies to their home nations to be tortured for years.

as for other nations doing bad... of course they do.... but we are having a discussion on America.... if you would like to discuss the bad things China does we can also [/b][/i]

Guest BlackJesus
where things went bad with Osama ......

[quote][u]Gulf War and start of US enmity[/u]
After the Soviet union withdrew from Afghanistan, Osama bin Laden returned to Saudi Arabia, while training operations in Afghanistan continued. Once the gulf war began Saudi Arabia appeared to be under a very real threat of invasion from Iraqi forces. He offered the services of his mujahideen (holy warriors) to protect the Saudi Arabia from the Iraqi army. After careful deliberation the Saudi Monarch (King Fahd 1923-2005) opted to allow United States (and coalition forces) to protect his country.

Bin Laden considered this a treacherous deed; allowing infidels to set foot on the soil of the land of the two mosques. He spoke against the Saudi government during the Gulf War for harboring American troops on Saudi soil and was exiled from Saudi Arabia with the renunciation of his Saudi citizenship. The presence of foreign troops in the "land of the two mosques" (Mecca and Medina) was perceived by many extreme Islamists as profaning sacred soil and exemplified the corruption that they believed typified Arab governments.

From these roots Al-Qaeda formed.[/quote]

Guest steggyD
Yes, and this is what he did:

[quote]Bin Laden's first strike against the United States was the December 29, 1992 bombing of the Gold Mihor Hotel in Aden, Yemen that killed a Yemeni hotel employee, an Austrian national and seriously injured his wife. About 100 US soldiers, part of Operation Restore Hope, had been staying at the hotel for two weeks but had left two days earlier for Somalia. Bin Laden and the Indonesian militant known as Hambali allegedly funded, then aborted Operation Bojinka conspiracy when police discovered the plot in Manila, Philippines on January 6, 1995.[/quote]

He should be commended for his actions.

Archived