Cheat Sheet: Bengals will beat Seahawks, improve to 5-0, and make us all believers

Cheat Sheet: Bengals will beat Seahawks, improve to 5-0, and make us all believers

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me three times, fool me four times, and well, you can go fool yourself.

That's how the football-viewing public feels about the Cincinnati Bengals. Trust me, I get it. You don't want to hear about a 4-0 team that has downright dominated its opponents and has trailed for less than two minutes total all season. You don't want to hear about a loaded roster that's filled with so many first- and second-round picks that the names read like they came from a college all-star game.

You don't want to hear about a team that is as healthy as it has been in the past four seasons. And you don't want to hear about an offense that just had its first game in franchise history with both four rushing touchdowns and a quarterback throwing for more than 300 yards.

You don't want to hear about it because you've been burned. Or, at least you've seen this team get burned. Time and time again.

What sticks out is 0-4 in the playoffs the last four years with Andy Dalton inevitably withering away in January games and 0-6 under Marvin Lewis in the postseason. Football fans have had their share of seeing the Bengals win big games in the fall, only to drop them in the winter. There are five other unbeaten teams in football right now. Mention any of them in a neighborhood saloon, and you'll get a healthy discussion about their Super Bowl odds and upcoming schedules. Mention the Bengals and you'll get a blank stare or a roll of the eyes.

But maybe that's just what the Bengals are thriving on this season. They know this. They know you don't want to hear about them. "Ho hum. Just a 4-0 start," tackle Eric Winston told reporters as he walked into the locker room on Sunday.

But they also know they're a different team. That Bengals squad that lost in the wild-card round a season ago didn't have A.J. Green, Jermaine Gresham or Marvin Jones. It didn't have Vontaze Burfict. It didn't have a first-round bye or a home game, something that's looking very possible a month into the season this year.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-picks-week-5-cincinnati-bengals-seattle-seahawks-andy-dalton-marvin-lewis-100815

Part of me hopes we will be disrespected all season and the refrain of "yeah, but" continues all season. Mostly because a) I want our team to have the edge you feel when you are being disrespected and b) it will feel oh so much sweeter when we can achieve the thing everyone doubts we can achieve.

The other part thinks it's also quite nagging and cheap journalism, and needs to stop. But I can live with that part to achieve the ultimate goal. So, please, ESPN, AP, Yahoo, whoever, please continue to write doubter articles, even if we go 16-0.

EDIT: Of course I realize this article is not a doubter article.

I hate nail biters , but I'd love to see Nugent win it with a game winning field goal at the end. I think it could go a long way in boosting his level of confidence.

If it comes down to that, I certainly hope they're tied instead of trailing.  My level of confidence in Nugent needs a considerable boost, as well, and has for a couple seasons now.

*** Don't want to start a whole new thread for this but I like the way this sounds and I am knocking on wood LOUDLY.  Threw in the Carson Palmer thing just for gits and shiggles and the amusement of the anti CP crew.  As far as the Bengals... I don't care if they win by a point (actually I do and would prefer it was by more) but just win, baby, just win.  :icon15:

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/5_outrageous_predictions_for_week_5_of_the_nfl_season/s1_13132_19680202?ref=yfp

2. Cincinnati Bengals will hand the Seattle Seahawks their worst loss since Week 8 of the 2011 season 

Interestingly, that came against an Andy Dalton-led Bengals team by the score of 34-12. While a lot has changed for Seattle since then mainly the additions of Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson— there are a lot of issues working against the two-time defending NFC champs this week.

While the national media continues to ignore the ridiculous amount of pressure Wilson has been under over the course of the first four games, we have made an attempt to point it out at every turn. He's on pace to be sacked more than any other quarterback in the history of the NFL. He's also being pressured well over 40 percent of the time he's dropped back to pass this year.

Going up against an elite Bengals defensive line on the road, Wilson will continue to find himself clobbered in the offensive backfield. Sadly, this is the situation general manager John Schneider and Co. put Wilson in when the organization decided to go with multiple projects along the offensive line.

This had a direct impact on Wilson's performance against the Detroit Lions last week. He lost two fourth quarter fumbles, one of which was returned for a touchdown. He's also going up against a Bengals defense that is on pace for 44 sacks. He's doing so while likely being forced into a silent count. Yeah, things definitely aren't trending in Seattle's direction heading into a matchup with an undefeated Bengals squad.

Look for a bit of humble pie to be thrown Seattle's way by one of the hottest teams in the NFL. Let's just hope Wilson is left standing after Cincinnati hands Seattle an extensive beatdown. We will go with 27-10 in favor of the home team.

3. Mistake-prone game from Carson Palmer will lead to the Detroit Lions' first win

Palmer probably had his first substandard outing in a dozen or so starts last week against the St. Louis Rams. While he did complete 29-of-46 passes for 352 yards with a touchdown and an interception, the veteran was sacked four times and missed a few open throws.

It's not going to get much easier for Palmer against a Lions defense that returned to form against Seattle last week. Detroit recorded six sacks of Russell Wilson while forcing three turnovers on the road Monday night. In desperate need of a win, we can fully expect the Lions to bring their A-game in this one.

With nothing more to lose (outside of another game), the 0-4 Lions will be drawing up some pretty big blitzes. And as we have seen under defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, this can lead to quarterbacks making some major mistakes. Look for that to be the case on Sunday.

HSH, no one has caught on to any Lewis Carrol references yet? Maybe a visit from Alice?

WOW!  Welcome over here.  Nice place after you get used to it and over the initiation process... beware of flame throwing bullet proof trolls and don't feed the animals.  Guru is over here posting a lot as Michael Weston and also Bengal Backer from days gone by.  Lots of good people.  I think some sit in the North End Zone, too.  Great to see you here.

Archived