Hue Jackson: Getting booed at All-Star Game “turning point” for Dalton

Hue Jackson: Getting booed at All-Star Game “turning point” for Dalton

Andy DaltonAP

Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton’s hot start to the 2015 season has been a big reason why Cincinnati is 4-0 and offensive coordinator Hue Jackson thinks some of the team’s fans deserve some credit for Dalton’s play.

When Dalton made an appearance at this summer’s Major League Baseball All-Star Game in Cincinnati for a celebrity softball game, there were boos heard from the local fans in attendance. Dalton shrugged them off, but offensive coordinator Hue Jackson told Peter King of TheMMQB.com that he thinks the night was a “turning point” for Dalton.

“I’m not going to tell you it didn’t bother him,” Jackson said. “It did. When you have the success he has had — four seasons in the league, four times in the playoffs — getting booed in your own city, that has to hurt a bit. But he was able to hit one over the fence for a home run. And he flipped the bat. His message was sort of, ‘You might not like me now, but you’re going to love me later.'”

Jackson has been an unwavering supporter of Dalton’s and says he “couldn’t be happier how he has responded” after losing to the Colts in the playoffs last season. Whatever motivation came from the booing, it’s certainly helped that the Bengals have a full complement of healthy receivers for Dalton to throw the ball to and an offensive line that has helped keep him from being pressured regularly. The Seahawks will provide a stiff test for just how far the Bengals offense has come this weekend.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/09/hue-jackson-getting-booed-at-all-star-game-turning-point-for-dalton/

This is getting ridiculous. Does Hue have to put in his 2 cents on everything? Especially a non-story that was blown out of proportion. He's like a cast member of a lame reality show.

So if Hue is asked a question, he's not supposed to answer it? 

Just think of it as he is prepping to be the next head coach and able to give long winded press conferences and say virtually nothing at all.  Worthwhile.

1/2 :ph34r:

They know better than to ask Marvin a question like that. They would just get a flippant smart ass answer coupled with the barney rubble laugh.

Hue can do anything he wants as long as we keep winning! Be happy for him. He won't be with us for long. Enjoy what he brings to the team. There will be a day when we wish he were still here with us.

I hope explained to Dalton that the boos were earned.  He's not the only reason Cincy lost all those big games (esp. playoff games), but he's a big part of it. 

You can't expect fans to love you if you embarrass them in the postseason.  Everybody who had defended Dalton had to hang their heads in shame.  Everybody who put Dalton in the same conversation as Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, even Eli Manning looked foolish.

After 4 years, people stop talking about your potential and start talking about your results.

if it makes Dalton feel better, if he went to that game today he'd get a helluva lot more cheers.

I hope explained to Dalton that the boos were earned.  He's not the only reason Cincy lost all those big games (esp. playoff games), but he's a big part of it. 

You can't expect fans to love you if you embarrass them in the postseason.  Everybody who had defended Dalton had to hang their heads in shame.  Everybody who put Dalton in the same conversation as Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, even Eli Manning looked foolish.

After 4 years, people stop talking about your potential and start talking about your results.

if it makes Dalton feel better, if he went to that game today he'd get a helluva lot more cheers.

Sorry, but all of that is bullshit.  If the fans in Cincinnati want to boo him on the football field, that is one thing, but to boo him at a Charity Softball game that he took time out of his schedule to come back from his HOME IN TEXAS to play in, is friggin' trifling, and anyone that thinks that is OK, is trifling as well.  I don't care how many playoff games he loses. 

Sorry, but all of that is bullshit.  If the fans in Cincinnati want to boo him on the football field, that is one thing, but to boo him at a Charity Softball game that he took time out of his schedule to come back from his HOME IN TEXAS to play in, is friggin' trifling, and anyone that thinks that is OK, is trifling as well.  I don't care how many playoff games he loses. 

Boooooo. :ninja:

Yeah i can only imagine what a sacrifice he made to be there

It was a much larger sacrifice than I ever saw the quitter make.  In fact, I can't remember much he did in the community, while Andy does a ton.

Aw that's not fair, Carson did plenty for the local community..  Like blaming it for his own shortcomings, for example.

Man, alive...the current lovefest for Dalton is a bit much.  He has had 4 very good games, but that does not a season make.  It's like we're setting him up for failure with the expectation he will continue performing like one of the best 2 or 3 QBs in the game.  I hope this is Dalton's breakthrough season to make him an elite QB, but why don't we just wait and see?  He will have some bad games.  They all do.  I expect the media, and some fans, will drag him off the mountain when he does.  

Man, alive...the current lovefest for Dalton is a bit much.  He has had 4 very good games, but that does not a season make.  It's like we're setting him up for failure with the expectation he will continue performing like one of the best 2 or 3 QBs in the game.  I hope this is Dalton's breakthrough season to make him an elite QB, but why don't we just wait and see?  He will have some bad games.  They all do.  I expect the media, and some fans, will drag him off the mountain when he does.  

Surely they will.  But the mistake most have and continue to make is thinking that he isn't already atop the mountain.  Understand that the guys who have 6-7+ years under their belts and are unquestionably elite also took time to get there (with Ben Rothlisberger and Aaron Rodgers the glaring exceptions (though Rodgers did have 3 years apprenticeship under Farve before playing) and Dalton continues to follow the profile of a QB that is ascending toward being in the company of those guys.

Impatient, be-perfect-now "fans" can't see it, but Dalton's first three years put him in best-of-all-time company. Last year, though a bit down (which at the time I attributed to new OC, poor interior OL, and lack of weapons -- all things that, now overcome, have clearly resulted in a different Dalton), he still fit the profile.  And as you say, he will have some bad games -- just like all of the elite QBs before him.  So yes, the media and other card carrying members of the Immature and Impatience Club will surely drag him off the mountain at the first whiff of failure, but those of us who've been sanguine about this since the beginning will remain so.  

Just be thankful he's not gone the route of Jay Cutler, or Matthew Stafford, or Colin Kapernick, or RGIII or any of the plethora of other QBs that have been exalted for their big arms and lofty draft status, only to crash painfully back to earth. And hell, look at Andrew Luck.  Talking heads are already starting to suggest that having Hasselbeck start for the Colts might be the best for the team even after he recovers from injury.  After all, his TD to INT ratio over the last 10 games is 12-14. Crazy talk you say? I say maybe, maybe not. The only way to tell will be to give the kid time to grow.  They all take their lumps.  The great ones weather the process and grow because of it. 

Thank God MB and ML have had the patience that the haters lack. There isn't a single QB taken since Andy that is unquestionably going to have a better career, while all save 1 or 2 (Luck? Wilson) clearly won't come close (Bortles, Carr, Mariota, etc remain undetermined, because it takes time to find out of a QB is going to develop into an elite QB (duh)). 

Surely they will.  But the mistake most have and continue to make is thinking that he isn't already atop the mountain.  Understand that the guys who have 6-7+ years under their belts and are unquestionably elite also took time to get there (with Ben Rothlisberger and Aaron Rodgers the glaring exceptions (though Rodgers did have 3 years apprenticeship under Farve before playing) and Dalton continues to follow the profile of a QB that is ascending toward being in the company of those guys.

Impatient, be-perfect-now "fans" can't see it, but Dalton's first three years put him in best-of-all-time company. Last year, though a bit down (which at the time I attributed to new OC, poor interior OL, and lack of weapons -- all things that, now overcome, have clearly resulted in a different Dalton), he still fit the profile.  And as you say, he will have some bad games -- just like all of the elite QBs before him.  So yes, the media and other card carrying members of the Immature and Impatience Club will surely drag him off the mountain at the first whiff of failure, but those of us who've been sanguine about this since the beginning will remain so.  

Just be thankful he's not gone the route of Jay Cutler, or Matthew Stafford, or Colin Kapernick, or RGIII or any of the plethora of other QBs that have been exalted for their big arms and lofty draft status, only to crash painfully back to earth. And hell, look at Andrew Luck.  Talking heads are already starting to suggest that having Hasselbeck start for the Colts might be the best for the team even after he recovers from injury.  After all, his TD to INT ratio over the last 10 games is 12-14. Crazy talk you say? I say maybe, maybe not. The only way to tell will be to give the kid time to grow.  They all take their lumps.  The great ones weather the process and grow because of it. 

Thank God MB and ML have had the patience that the haters lack. There isn't a single QB taken since Andy that is unquestionably going to have a better career, while all save 1 or 2 (Luck? Wilson) clearly won't come close (Bortles, Carr, Mariota, etc remain undetermined, because it takes time to find out of a QB is going to develop into an elite QB (duh)). 

Truer words have never been said.   Well said, AlleyCat :cool:

Nah dude, sorry don't take this personal but GTFO of here with that & let me tell you why.

All this time people were trashing him on here & making fun of everyone who said "wait & see", like dude's a young QB and there's at least a chance he will continue to improve.  Crazy talk, right? "Making fun" is putting it way too lightly, in fact - people were being total choads about it.

So now, well.. Guess what, they're getting their noses rubbed in it a little bit, and it serves them right.  Of course I know some will still be swinging from the rafters the first time he has a bad game, but those people suck at life and are best ignored.

So yeah, again it's nothing against you, but fuggabuncha "wait and see" crap now that he's playing at an elite level.

Archived