Burdock/Ogbuehi Status.

• Elflocko changed the title to Burdock/Ogbuehi Status.

Just Joe, since the other 2 guys are being dicks, there have been no official updates on Vontaze Burfict or Cedric Ogbuehi.  Marvin is being his typical cryptic self when asked about their status. 

We have seen Burfict at all the games and he seems to be walking with no limp, but no one knows the status of his knee or if he'll be back for the Pissburgh game or later in the year.

I'm actually more worried about the previous concussion(s) than I am about the knee.  I keep picturing him leading with his helmet to make a tackle and then staggering around before collapsing to the ground.  It won't surprise me at all if that happens and he never plays football again.

Just Joe, since the other 2 guys are being dicks, there have been no official updates on Vontaze Burfict or Cedric Ogbuehi.  Marvin is being his typical cryptic self when asked about their status. 

We have seen Burfict at all the games and he seems to be walking with no limp, but no one knows the status of his knee or if he'll be back for the Pissburgh game or later in the year.

I'm actually more worried about the previous concussion(s) than I am about the knee.  I keep picturing him leading with his helmet to make a tackle and then staggering around before collapsing to the ground.  It won't surprise me at all if that happens and he never plays football again.

I wish they sit Burfict out this season. I think his head is made of Jello. 

I wish they sit Burfict out this season. I think his head is made of Jello. 

I've never seen something so blown out of proportion. You would think he was Kevin Kolb or Troy Aikman. It isn't like he had symptoms for 4-6 months straight. His symptoms disappeared. The amount of time he sits out will not matter because he is cleared. Waiting an extra 9 months will provide no extra recovery that wasn't already provided once his symptoms disappeared.

Burfict's already been out over a year. If his concussion issues aren't behind him now, they aren't going to be any better in 9 months. Holding him out this season due to concussions makes zero sense from a medical standpoint. Besides, I don't think he's had the type of major concussions (knocked out cold for more than a minute) that you see lead to permanent issues. He tried to come back too soon from them last year, but I'd be pretty surprised if that ever became a career-threatening thing for him. 

As for the knee, I have next to no doubt he'll be able to play on it again. The question is just if he can return to 99% of what he was, 90%, 80%, etc. I'm kind of working on the assumption that he'll be back at ~90% and still be a very good starting LB, but maybe a notch or two below elite due to losing half a step. But it's not out of the question that he'll end up being just an average player if he only comes back with 80% or less of his previous explosiveness/speed. One of the things working in his favor though is that he was never an elite run/jump guy. He is just really tough and incredibly instinctive. So it might not hurt him as much as it would a different player. 

I've never seen something so blown out of proportion. You would think he was Kevin Kolb or Troy Aikman. It isn't like he had symptoms for 4-6 months straight. His symptoms disappeared. The amount of time he sits out will not matter because he is cleared. Waiting an extra 9 months will provide no extra recovery that wasn't already provided once his symptoms disappeared.

Agreed.  But, Bengals fans are nothing if not a pessimistic bunch.

Burfict's already been out over a year. If his concussion issues aren't behind him now, they aren't going to be any better in 9 months. Holding him out this season due to concussions makes zero sense from a medical standpoint. Besides, I don't think he's had the type of major concussions (knocked out cold for more than a minute) that you see lead to permanent issues. He tried to come back too soon from them last year, but I'd be pretty surprised if that ever became a career-threatening thing for him. 

As for the knee, I have next to no doubt he'll be able to play on it again. The question is just if he can return to 99% of what he was, 90%, 80%, etc. I'm kind of working on the assumption that he'll be back at ~90% and still be a very good starting LB, but maybe a notch or two below elite due to losing half a step. But it's not out of the question that he'll end up being just an average player if he only comes back with 80% or less of his previous explosiveness/speed. One of the things working in his favor though is that he was never an elite run/jump guy. He is just really tough and incredibly instinctive. So it might not hurt him as much as it would a different player. 

Exactly. If his concussions were still an issue...which they aren't then he should have retired before Chris Boreland.

No, ..that was him, ...I don't know how he gets away with it.

I see your point about Burdock.  But, as you say "a goldbrick, ...he's out partying all the time, ...haven't you noticed he's never at the facility, ...so much so that nobody knows what he looks like anymore." its easy to corn fuse him with another assclown who is very similar.  How DOES he get away with it?

I see your point about Burdock.  But, as you say "a goldbrick, ...he's out partying all the time, ...haven't you noticed he's never at the facility, ...so much so that nobody knows what he looks like anymore." its easy to corn fuse him with another assclown who is very similar.  How DOES he get away with it?

...money, ....drugs, ...and hookers, ...but you didn't hear that from me, ...k?

This might be true if they are  thinking about football.  But there's a very real possibility they are thinking about this guy's actual life. In which case, the medical certainties are not so clear and easy.  If he's had a decent amount of brain trauma, the next serious hit could be the one that terms him into Ben Utecht -- or Junior Seau. IMO, if you have that level of concern, but still want to honor the player's desire to play, you wait as long as possible. 

Oh, that's interesting.  How long have you served as the team's neurologist?

Where's the proof concussion symptoms have lingered? We know he has put himself into a bad spot by leading with his head in the past, but save a couple good whacks, which could have just been really, really unfortunate luck, what else do we *really* know?

I don't mean to be cheeky, but I am honestly looking for the news I apparently missed that the prognostications about his noggin were so dire. The things I have read about his continued absence pertain to his leg issues. 

This might be true if they are  thinking about football.  But there's a very real possibility they are thinking about this guy's actual life. In which case, the medical certainties are not so clear and easy.  If he's had a decent amount of brain trauma, the next serious hit could be the one that terms him into Ben Utecht -- or Junior Seau. IMO, if you have that level of concern, but still want to honor the player's desire to play, you wait as long as possible. 

Yeah right....you forgot about Marvin Lewis being asked and answering this same topic about this same time last year. 

Q: Any concern for (Vontaze Burfict) not just as a football player but as a human being given the number of concussions he's had?

ML: "Well, he had a concussion against Atlanta. That's that biggest concern that way. You don't want him to have, you know, but again I coached defenses and linebackers for a long time and concussions didn't linger. Now we have found that because of the media and things they seem to linger longer. There's a lot of attention paid to it. I don't know why they linger longer. I don't remember them lingering like they do now."

LOL!  Sneaky fucker you are.  Always trying to advertise in sneaky ways.  I would have banned your ass a loooooooong time ago if I had any authority here.  

nothing sneaky about it.  There's a bunch of notes in there.  Easier to post the link than re-post everything.

as for which one of us has a ban-worthy history...lol, c'mon man. 

Archived