Burdock/Ogbuehi Status.

Greg Oden just dropped 23 points and grabbed 14 rebounds in some China professional basketball league.    If he showed up at your local Y league game he'd dominate you.

That doesn't mean he's NBA quality still or coming close No. 1 overall pick production.   He had microfracture knee surgery.

Burfict running around on the field and doing drills is fucking great and a good sign.   It hardly means that there is some mysterious other injury keeping him off the field.

Geno Atkins just had normal ACL tear surgery and he was a shell of himself and we all witnessed the "second coming" and it had to do with time to be able to not rehab but actually  train.

The reality is you may never see the old Burdock again and it has nothing to do with head injuries. 

Greg Oden just dropped 23 points and grabbed 14 rebounds in some China professional basketball league.    If he showed up at your local Y league game he'd dominate you.

That doesn't mean he's NBA quality still or coming close No. 1 overall pick production.   He had microfracture knee surgery.

Burfict running around on the field and doing drills is fucking great and a good sign.   It hardly means that there is some mysterious other injury keeping him off the field.

Geno Atkins just had normal ACL tear surgery and he was a shell of himself and we all witnessed the "second coming" and it had to do with time to be able to not rehab but actually  train.

The reality is you may never see the old Burdock again and it has nothing to do with head injuries. 

Don't think the Oden comparison is legit. He had microfracture surgery on BOTH knees, had to have a second microfracture knee surgery on his left knee for a total of THREE microfracture surgeries, and o by the way fractured his patella on his left knee too which also had to have surgery. Not quite apples to apples is all I'm saying.

Who's this Burfict you speak of? Burdock is the future of this team.

:ph34r::ph34r:

However, many players have had successful careers after having microfracture surgery.  Rod Woodson, Bruce Smith, Tom Nalen, and Gary lepsis are just a few that had the procedure done and played multiple years afterwards.  Plus, there have been many pro basketball players that have done the same.  The common denominator seems to be the size of the damaged area.  Burfict's was supposedly a smaller area, which tends to be more likely to allow continued play and success.

See, that's my recollection, too. Its like its en vogue to pile on with all the concussion chatter, chicken little'ing this thing like crazy. We have been told its micro fracture recovery. If folks have anything that would support that its actually multiple concussions, let them present or stop theorizing aloud.

I was at the Falcons game last year. He got his bell rung in that game as well, so there's a minimum of two right there. Not trying to be Chicken Little, but I am pragmatic, and I'm concerned that the badass linebacker this team finally found after all this time will be ripped away from us after just a short time. Dude is one of my favorite players, and I want him back on the field in the worst way...

Don't think the Oden comparison is legit. He had microfracture surgery on BOTH knees, had to have a second microfracture knee surgery on his left knee for a total of THREE microfracture surgeries, and o by the way fractured his patella on his left knee too which also had to have surgery. Not quite apples to apples is all I'm saying.

There are plenty of others to choose from.   Point being when you hear Microfracture surgery it means complicated things for a critical part for an athlete.

Just because he isn't playing as fast as we'd hope doesn't mean concussions have to be the reason.  

However, many players have had successful careers after having microfracture surgery.  Rod Woodson, Bruce Smith, Tom Nalen, and Gary lepsis are just a few that had the procedure done and played multiple years afterwards.  Plus, there have been many pro basketball players that have done the same.  The common denominator seems to be the size of the damaged area.  Burfict's was supposedly a smaller area, which tends to be more likely to allow continued play and success.

True but nobody is going to know until they see it.   Including Burdock himself.

Point I was attempting to make is when you heard he had Microfracture procedure it means complicated things.   The conspiracy portion that his continued absence is due to concussions isn't considering that.

I was at the Falcons game last year. He got his bell rung in that game as well, so there's a minimum of two right there. Not trying to be Chicken Little, but I am pragmatic, and I'm concerned that the badass linebacker this team finally found after all this time will be ripped away from us after just a short time. Dude is one of my favorite players, and I want him back on the field in the worst way...

I believe that was a neck stinger that most wrongly diagnosed as a concussion.   If I remember correctly. 

Going from memory the only time he went through the protocol for concussion was when he hit Flacco's rib pads in the opener.     He got a neck stinger or back problem in Atlanta and hitting Luck in Indy. 

I don't recall him having to be cleared to play against the Panthers or Ravens following those games.

I believe that was a neck stinger that most wrongly diagnosed as a concussion.   If I remember correctly. 

Going from memory the only time he went through the protocol for concussion was when he hit Flacco's rib pads in the opener.     He got a neck stinger or back problem in Atlanta and hitting Luck in Indy. 

I don't recall him having to be cleared to play against the Panthers or Ravens following those games.

Burfict has had 2 concussions in the NFL. Baltimore game and Atlanta game.

Yeah,  I looked it up they called a stinger at first then put him in protocol later in the week after symptoms. 

He also had one in 2013 after Vikings game.

He is sick and a lot of fans don't realize it. 

He may play a few snaps this season, but that will be it for him as an NFL player. 

lol... Burdock is fine. He could probably suit up right now if needed. I assume they will wait a couple more weeks, but his career isn't finished because of the surgery and a couple concussions. 

Thanks everyone for taking the time to enlighten me. 

Much appreciated. :mellow:

"Burdock" was an auto-correct of "Burfict" that the OP didn't catch, leading to a number of people (myself included) wondering "Who the fuck is Burdock?"

I'm guessing he uses an iPhone, as my Windows laptop tries to correct it to 'Burrito', lol... 

The fact of the matter is we just don't know what injuries to his head that BURFICT has received. Teams and players still try to hide concussions for obvious reasons. The knee recovery is a mystery as well. We also just don't know where he is in recovery from that surgery because the Bengals are being tight-lipped about it (and that's a good thing!).

Has there ever been a more snakebitten franchise in the NFL than the Bengals in terms of LB's in recent memory? Pollack, broken neck, just emerging as a star, first round pick. Brian Simmons, first round pick, a thousand pounds of "meh" (ditto Keith Rivers). Odell Thurman, a difference maker not too dissimilar from Burfict washed out of the league as second round pick. Maualuga is decidedly average as a second round pick. Spikes was pretty talented and drafted in the same round as Simmons but bolted right when Marvin took over. Khalid Abdullah, Caleb Miller, both very meh. Who else am I missing? Burfict was undrafted of course, found his way onto the team then all this head and knee stuff keeping him out.

It's like Marvin has been seeking his Ray Lewis replacement for all these years and keeps thinking he's found him, or something close to him, only to be robbed of the possibility for whatever reason.

Archived