Burdock/Ogbuehi Status.

This might be true if they are  thinking about football.  But there's a very real possibility they are thinking about this guy's actual life. In which case, the medical certainties are not so clear and easy.  If he's had a decent amount of brain trauma, the next serious hit could be the one that terms him into Ben Utecht -- or Junior Seau. IMO, if you have that level of concern, but still want to honor the player's desire to play, you wait as long as possible. 

Have to disagree. If he's still having issues a year later, he's done. If issues linger for over a year, he's not coming back. There have been no reports of that though at all. 

I don't think there's any real difference between waiting 13 months and 20 months though.

Just doesn't make any logical sense in this case for him to wait and come back next year due to concussion concerns... 

Concussions are cumulative, just like mercury exposure. His brain is jello or it's not. Period, end of discussion... 

I'm not sure I understand. Cumulative means there's a process by which it gets worse, which argues against it being either jello or not.  I guess the question is you are either in that process (and it can't reverse) or not?

Burdock missed time due to microfracture surgery on his knee.    He was clearly hurt early in the home game vs. the Ravens (last season) and continued to play through it the entire game.      NFL game pass with the all 22 has several instances of video evidence that his knee was bad the entire game.     I used to have screen shots but they changed the app and don't have the features back yet or would post.

On concussions,  I think Burdock had 1 concussion when he went low on Flacco in the opener.   The others were neck stingers that people keep throwing in with concussions, IMO.

We need a playmaker in the LB core like Burdock because Bell is going to be a bitch to stop.    Against the Bills we had some shoe string tackles stopping big plays and some misalignments that caused be plays and they've gotten gashed several times due to sub-par LBs run support.

I'm not sure I understand. Cumulative means there's a process by which it gets worse, which argues against it being either jello or not.  I guess the question is you are either in that process (and it can't reverse) or not?

Cumulative in that with concussions, particularly severe instances, some of the brain cells never recover. When you start piling them on, the cell damage compounds. Get enough of them and it usually ends up developing into CTE. I have ready access to Neurologists at work, and that is the consensus when I have inquired about NFL players and concussions. One of them went to ASU and is a Burfict fan. He says the problem is we don't know how many concussions he suffered in high school, in college, etc., and if the cumulative damage has reached a certain point, he's done. He wasn't saying that is the case, but also said they won't know for sure until he gets hit again, basically. Also said he was a dumbass for leading with his head, lol. Now, reading my comment, I didn't intend to be so short and definitive, but that is what happens when I post via my phone.

Burdock missed time due to microfracture surgery on his knee.    He was clearly hurt early in the home game vs. the Ravens (last season) and continued to play through it the entire game.      NFL game pass with the all 22 has several instances of video evidence that his knee was bad the entire game.     I used to have screen shots but they changed the app and don't have the features back yet or would post.

On concussions,  I think Burdock had 1 concussion when he went low on Flacco in the opener.   The others were neck stingers that people keep throwing in with concussions, IMO.

We need a playmaker in the LB core like Burdock because Bell is going to be a bitch to stop.    Against the Bills we had some shoe string tackles stopping big plays and some misalignments that caused be plays and they've gotten gashed several times due to sub-par LBs run support.

I keep cracking the F up everytime i read Burdock.  That's some funny shit.

Because its not his head keeping him from being activated. 

Correct.      

People can go look at the game film vs. Ravens at home last season.    Burdock was hurt trying to twist out of a low block on the first drive vs. the Ravens.    He proceeded to play on it.  With coaches film you can see him limp and hold the knee several times throughout the game. 

That was his last game played.   

So here's the logic:

Burdock's head was fine to play vs. the Ravens.   Burdock's head would have been fine to play the rest of the season had he not gotten hurt.

He had a minor knee surgery in October of last year.    If that procedure had corrected/fixed his injury his head would have been fine to play after that.

In January 2015  it was confirmed by the surgeon that Burdock had MICROFRACTURE surgery on the same knee.

Microfracture surgery is no joke and it's hit or miss on whether a player ever comes back and if they do it's even more hit and miss on whether they can come back at the previous level.

Because its not his head keeping him from being activated. 

You saw him running around pre-game, too, right?

I get it, you want to think he's fine.  So do I.  Dude got his bell rung, though.  Repeatedly. 

I understand there was also a knee surgery but if you think he had one concussion you're fooling yourself.

Whatever, this is all speculation anyway. Guess we'll know the truth soon enough.  

Naturally, there could be moves next week for the Bengals depending upon what happens in Sunday's game, but Lewis doesn't expect any changes to come that concern Burfict or Ogbuehi. Like the rookie offensive tackle, Burfict has been trying to recover from a knee injury. The Pro Bowler was sidelined in the middle of last season with what was originally diagnosed as a cartilage issue in his left knee. It didn't heal the way trainers had hoped, so Burfict was forced in January to undergo microfracture surgery.

Recovery from that procedure is lengthy. Although he made strides during training camp, the Bengals knew Burfict likely wouldn't be in playing condition until after a few more weeks. So at the close of the preseason, they placed him on the PUP list.

It's not funny if you bought the NFL authentic Burfict jersey.  

Burdock isn't a linebacker so it wouldn't matter about Burfict and his Jersey. 

Burdock is a floater, ...team ran out of jerseys so he has to go around borrowing the jersey of whoever is not playing that day.

That's Mike cutting costs again, ...it's the whole reason Burdock's been able to fly under the radar so long and get away with so much.

He's the guy with his Johnson hanging out in the naked video.

You saw him running around pre-game, too, right?

I get it, you want to think he's fine.  So do I.  Dude got his bell rung, though.  Repeatedly. 

I understand there was also a knee surgery but if you think he had one concussion you're fooling yourself.

Whatever, this is all speculation anyway. Guess we'll know the truth soon enough.  

His knee is healthy, but it is not 100%. Just like how Navarro Bowman is nowhere near his normal self right now. The longer they keep Burfict out the healthier he will be. Considering they are 6-0 they don't desperately need him right now. Fatigue for the season on his knee/body is a concern as well since he hasn't exactly gotten to get in high cardio/physical shape during the injury. The less games they use him the better. The more they rest him for December/January the better. That is the entire purpose of the whole thing waiting game. He might get activated on Sunday and practice for the week. They haven't made the determination if they are going to bring him back now or wait the 3 weeks they get to wait with him on PUP or say screw it and hold him for next year.

See, that's my recollection, too. Its like its en vogue to pile on with all the concussion chatter, chicken little'ing this thing like crazy. We have been told its micro fracture recovery. If folks have anything that would support that its actually multiple concussions, let them present or stop theorizing aloud.

His knee is healthy, but it is not 100%. Just like how Navarro Bowman is nowhere near his normal self right now. The longer they keep Burfict out the healthier he will be. Considering they are 6-0 they don't desperately need him right now. Fatigue for the season on his knee/body is a concern as well since he hasn't exactly gotten to get in high cardio/physical shape during the injury. The less games they use him the better. The more they rest him for December/January the better. That is the entire purpose of the whole thing waiting game. He might get activated on Sunday and practice for the week. They haven't made the determination if they are going to bring him back now or wait the 3 weeks they get to wait with him on PUP or say screw it and hold him for next year.

Hey Krumrie, this is way too simple of an explanation.  That would suggest there would be no argument.  That just isnt going to fly around these parts.    

Archived