Texans cut backup Ryan Mallett; T.J. Yates returning to team

Montana Bengal

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/10/texans-cut-ties-with-backup-ryan-mallett-releasing-him-outright/

The saga of backup quarterback Ryan Mallett reached a conclusion Tuesday when the Texans ran out of patience and cut him from the roster.

According to two sources who were not authorized to speak publicly, T.J. Yates is coming back to Houston as the Texans’ new backup.

The firing of the strong-armed, but frequently inaccurate former starter and Arkansas standout follows a history of lateness by him and a major disagreement between coach Bill O’Brien and general manager Rick Smith reported by The Chronicle. O’Brien wanted to release Mallett prior to the Texans’ blowout loss to the Miami Dolphins when Mallett missed the team charter to South Florida and had to purchase a ticket to fly commercially on his own.

However, Smith didn’t want to do that because it would have meant they would have had only one quarterback on the active roster, Brian Hoyer, with Zac Dysert on the practice squad and Tom Savage on injured reserve. Now, Mallett is off the team and the Texans are moving on without him.

Mallett previously missed practice during training camp days after Brian Hoyer was named the starter, attributing his oversleeping to his phone alarm not going off and vowing to Smith that he would buy an alarm clock and it wouldn’t happen again. But yet it did just months later as Mallett blamed Saturday traffic in Houston on him not making it to the Texans’ flight for this last road game.

“We’re dealing with Ryan Mallett internally, Rick Smith and I,” O’Brien said Monday of his discussions with the Texans’ general manager. “We’re talking about it. We’re talking about our options.”

Team officials addressed Mallett’s behavior with him behind the scenes when he sulked on the sideline after being replaced by Hoyer during a loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

“I just got caught in traffic,” Mallett said. “Got to be on time. It’s not the leadership role that I need to exhibit. So, I have to be better.”
When asked why he’s repeatedly late to team activities, Mallett replied: “It only happened twice.”

Mallett completed 53.1 percent of his throws this year for 770 yards, three touchdowns and four interceptions for a 63.6 passer rating.

Best response so far on this...

Retweeted

When Ryan Mallett wakes up, he’s going to be so pissed.

Archived