Le'Veon Bell: Bengals' Reggie Nelson didn't intend to hurt me last year

Le'Veon Bell: Bengals' Reggie Nelson didn't intend to hurt me last year

nfl_a_steelers_1296x518.jpg&h=402&scale= This hit by Cincinnati safety Reggie Nelson sidelined Stealers running back Le'Veon Bell for Pittsburgh's playoff loss to the Ravens. AP Photo/Don Wright

CINCINNATI -- Ahead of their teams' first meeting since Reggie Nelson's hard hit on Le'Veon Bell's right knee shattered Bell's hopes of playing in the 2014 playoffs, both players contended Wednesday there were no lingering hard feelings about the once-controversial tackle.

Bell, the Pittsburgh Stealers' bell cow running back, harbors no ill will for the Cincinnati Bengals safety who took his legs from under him in the open field in the third quarter of last year's regular-season finale at Pittsburgh. To Bell, the end of the 19-yard pass play just appeared worse than it actually was.

"I don't think he intended to hurt me," Bell said. "He chose to go low. The way my body was positioned, it was an ugly hit. But it wasn't as bad as it looked."

The image of Bell clutching his right knee in obvious pain still apparently troubled Stealers coach Mike Tomlin that night. Mere seconds after the Stealers won to clinch a division championship, cameras caught Tomlin berating Nelson near mid-field. The coach was so vocal that Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis came over to keep the peace before his customary postgame handshake with Tomlin.

Asked Wednesday if he had any communication with Tomlin since that postgame scene, Nelson succinctly replied: "No comment."

He later added, "Tomlin's a great coach, and he's going to have his guys ready [for Sunday], and Marvin will do the same with us."

Sunday's meeting at Heinz Field will be the first this season for the two teams atop the AFC North standings. At 6-0, the Bengals are holding a commanding lead over the second-place Stealers (4-3).

Nelson said his attention this week was trained on the game, and not on his hit that forced Bell into several months of recovery. It wasn't until May that Bell said he was nearing 100 percent again. This season, he hasn't shown any ill effects from the injury. He has 511 rushing yards on 103 carries for a robust 4.96 yards per carry average.

"This is my first time talking to y'all, so it's the first time it's been brought up," he said to reporters. "But I'm not too much worried about it. I'm just going out and playing football."

Bell said the de-cleating tackle may have been a form of retribution.

"Earlier in that game, I kind of got the best of him. He went high on me and I kind of won that battle. Obviously I’m a bigger guy," Bell said. "[But] I don't feel any certain way about it. I don't think he intended to hurt me."

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/19772/bengals-leveon-bell-reggie-nelson-intend-to-hurt-last-year-tackle-mike-tomlin

Nelson has lit up some Stealers.    Didn't Tomlin come after him one game?    He took out Bell.   He went low on Miller and then Miller left later in the game and missed a portion of the next season.   He's laid some other shots on Pittsburgh receivers.

Good for him.  

Oh for Gods sake....

The ruling kings of questionable, unnecessary, or frankly flagrant hits fan base is griping about being on the receiving end?

Well, karma is one,big,fat,ugly bitch ain't she?

I admit to a full complement of classlessness, since I revel in the fact that Reggie singlehandedly screwed Pissburgs playoffs when he took out Bell with a 100% clean hit.   The only thing that would have pleased me more is if it was 100% not.

Hope he takes out Brown the same way they took out AJ last year...

On Steelernation forum or whatever forum they are calling for Nelsons head or knees. One poster even suggested to bring back Hines for one game. Pay back is a bitch and I'm glad they got one. I honestly hope we do it again to bell and Ben. Fuck those assholes.

You better just be lurking and not trash talking

Oh for Gods sake....

The ruling kings of questionable, unnecessary, or frankly flagrant hits fan base is griping about being on the receiving end?

Well, karma is one,big,fat,ugly bitch ain't she?

I admit to a full complement of classlessness, since I revel in the fact that Reggie singlehandedly screwed Pissburgs playoffs when he took out Bell with a 100% clean hit.   The only thing that would have pleased me more is if it was 100% not.

Hope he takes out Brown the same way they took out AJ last year...

Couldn't have said it better. Thanks.

Tomlin is a jackass and not a very good coach

While I never root for injuries.....

Someone knocking him out in the sidelines would make me grin

both true..

only against this team...they have earned that being dirty cocksuckers forever.... and me too..

On Steelernation forum or whatever forum they are calling for Nelsons head or knees. One poster even suggested to bring back Hines for one game.

Such a classy organization they have there.  Why would they need to bring Whines back for a game if he's not really a dirty player?  What a herd of fuckwits.

Archived