He's Back

Coley Harvey ESPN Staff Writer 

Vontaze Burfict said after practice that he isn't 100 percent yet, but his mindset is to play right away for the Bengals. DC Paul Guenther said he wouldn't play him if he wasn't 100 percent. LB Emmanuel Lamur told me Burfict looked like his old self today. "Like he hasn't missed a beat."

Only man on injury report: Hall (back) limited

Guenther says if he's not 100 percent he won't play but they'll see how rest of week goes

Tez says he's not 100 percent but he was sorry when practice ended

We'll see how rest of week goes

Tez says no set backs and feels like he has gained steps

It sounds like it’s a longshot  for Vontaze Burfict to be back this Sunday in Pittsburgh (1 p.m.-Cincinnati’s Channel 12), but the Bengals Pro WILL linebacker and his coaches were encouraged by his first practice in more than a year Thursday.

“He looked real good, his movement skills are excellent,” said defensive coordinator Paul Guenther. “It looks like he never missed anytime.”

Burfict, who ended an injury-plagued season last year when he hurt knee in the Oct. 26 win over the Ravens, confirmed how good it felt after his first work out since his January micro fracture surgery.

“Not at all,’ said Burfict, when asked if he felt rusty. “No steps back. I feel like I gained some steps.

“It’s been hard, long, stressful,” said Burfict of the year-long sojourn. “But I’m here now, thanks to God, almost healthy. I hope I can get out there Sunday and play one of these days.”

Burfict said he participated in all phases of the practice and said he felt so good he was sorry when they said, “Bring it up,’ because he wanted to keep practicing.

He did say he’s “not quite 100 percent.” Asked if he’d play if not 100 percent, Burfict said, “Of course. If I have to. If it’s the Super Bowl, I’m playing.”

Sunday isn’t the Super Bowl, but it’s a big one. The Bengals are trying to put the Stealers four games back in the loss column with nine to play and become the first Cincinnati team to ever start a season 7-0.

But Guenther said if Burfict’s not 100 percent, he won’t play.

"We wouldn’t do that, first of all. If we felt he wasn’t 100 percent ready from a physical standpoint we wouldn’t do that," Guenther said. "If we felt like he was ready at the end of the week here, and all systems were go, then we’d do it. We have to wait and see how it goes through the course of the week.”

Burfict is still on the physically unable to perform list (PUP) and the Bengals now have three weeks from Thursday to decide if they’re going to activate him. They have a roster exemption until they make that decision, but it won’t take three weeks.

The question of the day now seems to be if his debut is  going to be against Cleveland a week from Thursday night, or in the Nov. 16 game at Paul Brown Stadium against the Texans on Monday Night Football. This Sunday seems like a longshot given Thursday was his first day in -shoulder pads.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Looks-like-he-never-missed-any-time/f7345586-d368-4720-88d8-5bdcef48b243

A good defense on a 6-0 team is about to get better.

According to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, Bengals linebackerVontaze Burfict has "a good chance" of playing against theStealers on Sunday. NFL Media's Rand Getlin noted that Burfict will be a game-time decision.

This could be Burfict's first action in more than a season after undergoing microfrature surgery on his knee. Burfict returned to practice Thursday afternoon.

While microfrature surgery often presents a steep climb, there is no question Burfict is one of the premiere all-around linebackers in football. The team seems to have waited patiently enough and Burfict received clearance from his surgeon and the team's medical staff.

When healthy, Burfict stands alongside names like Lavonte David and Thomas Davis, so the thought of combining him with an already humming 6-0 machine is scary. Sunday, when the Stealers andLe'Veon Bell roll into town, we may get our first look at just how good Burfict is feeling.

@RapSheet: Vontaze Burfict tells @pauldehnerjr & @GeoffHobsonCin he’s had no setbacks. I’m told there’s a good chance he plays. Would be activated Sat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think i need to call my doctor. The thought of tez ripping head of big jen, this boner is not going away..

No way you cut Hawk...seriously. 

Unload somebody like Uzomah. He'll make it back to the PS anyway. 

Yep

Keep Hawk around as insurance just in case Burfict's knee gets gimpy after a few weeks of playing/practicing.  They would be better off cutting someone with practice squad eligibility who is likely to clear waivers (Uzomah, Lewis-Harris, Alford, etc.).

No way you cut Hawk...seriously. 

Unload somebody like Uzomah. He'll make it back to the PS anyway. 

^^^^ This ^^^^

I think I said something along these lines earlier.

I think Hawk only signed with us so he could end his career in his home town and the Bengals were on board with this.  To cut him now would be disrespectful and I do not think Mike Brown would be on board with that.

I can see it being Little that gets cut.  He's never activated and most likely will be there if we need him for some reason.

If they cut a WR, I think it is more likely they cut Alford.  At least they can stash him on the practice squad after cutting him. It's unlikely anyone picks up an undersized late 7th round rookie WR.  Little might get picked up because he has NFL experience, lots of game film, prototypical size for the position, and a high draft pick pedigree.

Archived