New Star Trek TV Series

Montana Bengal

http://io9.com/holy-crap-they-are-officially-making-a-new-star-trek-t-1740024705

Holy Crap, They Are Officially Making a New Star Trek TV Series

It’s only logical it would come to this. The rejuvenation of Star Trek on the big screen, eventually, had to do the same for the franchise’s native medium, television. And after months of rumors and speculation, it’s actually happening—Star Trek is coming back to TV.

Multiple outlets are reporting that Alex Kurtzman, co-writer of 2009’sStar Trek and its sequel Star Trek Into Darkness, will executive produce a newStar Trek show through CBS Television Studios.

The show will premiere in January 2017 with a preview episode on CBS and then, in the U.S., move exclusively to the CBS video on-demand and streaming service, CBS All Access. It’ll be the first developed specifically for the CBS streaming service.

Internationally, the show will “be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms.”

So what’s this series going to be about? Here’s all the official press release said:

The brand-new “Star Trek” will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

It also added this:

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager of CBS Digital Media in a press release. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic Star Trek, and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

It’s certainly uncharted territory for a new Star Trek show to be available exclusively on a streaming service. But with the 50th anniversary coming up, Trek embracing technology seems like a pretty fitting celebration.

Yeah this doesn't sound like a winner to me. I had heard Netflix was in talks to license a Star Trek series and that had me very excited for a more "adult" product... I love the Star Trek series and embrace the campiness that at times has been a mark of the franchise. But it would be refreshing to see something a little darker and grittier.

• 6 months later...

That CGI was pretty awful. I know it looks really dated now, but Next Generation was pretty cutting edge for the time. This looks like it was rendered 10 years ago. This trailer did nothing to lift my low expectations. If this is the flagship for CBS's streaming service they are going to have to seriously up their game to compete with Hulu/Netflix/HBO/AMC

On 11/1/2015 at 2:23 PM, Bengals1181 said:

saw this earlier.  Surprised they are putting a big production on a streaming only service with no legs yet.  Not sure that's gonna work out great. I'd have built the service up some first.

I would think that's the best way to build up a service like that....known content.

On 11/3/2015 at 9:03 AM, Lucid said:

Yeah this doesn't sound like a winner to me. I had heard Netflix was in talks to license a Star Trek series and that had me very excited for a more "adult" product... I love the Star Trek series and embrace the campiness that at times has been a mark of the franchise. But it would be refreshing to see something a little darker and grittier.

I hope not, Star Treck for me has always been about intellectual pursuits. Picard was the perfect captain for that... hope they dont go dark and gritty and instead make it a thinking mans show.

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

I hope not, Star Treck for me has always been about intellectual pursuits. Picard was the perfect captain for that... hope they dont go dark and gritty and instead make it a thinking mans show.

I said a "LITTLE darker and grittier". I love the intellectualism as well and wouldn't want to change that. In fact, a little more intellectual and less "soapish"would be nice, especially since the later series. I was speaking more of the campy nature of the show. Which TNG had a little of, and it seemed to get worse as the franchise progressed. A little more hard science and a little less "the dilithium crystals are causing a flux in the transitudinal waves of the hyperium vortex. If we adjust the lateral progression of the trancsendental beams from our forward phasers we should overcome this weeks plot obstacle" would be nice.

I am a huge Trekky by the way. I have seen every show of every series since the beginning. I have watched the original series, TNG and DS9 multiple times over.

Got yea

I was always a TNG guy and loved Picard vs Q. Tried to watch DS9 but couldnt stay with it after the first season and couldnt watch the Janeway or Scott Bacula series at all.

Im more a star wars guy though

• 1 month later...

Though the series will be premiering in the US on CBS All AccessNetflix and CBS Studios International today announced a landmark international licensing agreement for the new Star Trek television series. Netflix will be the exclusive premiere home of Star Trek in 188 countries (excluding the US and Canada). Each episode of the new series will be available globally within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere.

Additionally, all 727 existing episodes of the iconic Star Trek television library – including Star Trek: The Original Series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise will be available on Netflix around the world by the end of 2016.

In Canada, the rights to Star Trek have been acquired by Bell Media with the rollout for the new series will mirror the launch in the U.S. The first episode will premiere on Canada’s most watched broadcast network, CTV, on the same night as CBS. All remaining episodes will initially be televised on Bell Media’s cable networks, Space (in English) and Z (in French), and then later exclusively on CraveTV, Bell Media’s streaming video-on-demand service.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/703201-netflix-lands-international-rights-to-new-star-trek-series#SzZW44OscYGphdsO.99

On 7/18/2016 at 11:05 AM, Go Skins said:

Though the series will be premiering in the US on CBS All AccessNetflix and CBS Studios International today announced a landmark international licensing agreement for the new Star Trek television series. Netflix will be the exclusive premiere home of Star Trek in 188 countries (excluding the US and Canada). Each episode of the new series will be available globally within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere.

Additionally, all 727 existing episodes of the iconic Star Trek television library – including Star Trek: The Original Series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise will be available on Netflix around the world by the end of 2016.

In Canada, the rights to Star Trek have been acquired by Bell Media with the rollout for the new series will mirror the launch in the U.S. The first episode will premiere on Canada’s most watched broadcast network, CTV, on the same night as CBS. All remaining episodes will initially be televised on Bell Media’s cable networks, Space (in English) and Z (in French), and then later exclusively on CraveTV, Bell Media’s streaming video-on-demand service.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/703201-netflix-lands-international-rights-to-new-star-trek-series#SzZW44OscYGphdsO.99

Lame.. I am definitely not paying for another freaking streaming subscription. We got off cable because it was too expensive for how much we watch it. Why pay for 500 freaking channels when we watch only a couple shows? Now, everybody is trying to make their own service.

I'm trying Playstation Vue for streaming (seems to work on many devices and you can do a 7 day free trial).  Not sure I'll keep it this summer, but may do it this fall.  $30 a month for the basic plan.  https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/ CBS is not included.

Edit - I'd split it with a friend.  You can stream on up to 5 devices at one time.

16 hours ago, Enon Bengal said:

What platform did you go to? Between the four of us, we watch maybe 20 channels and it seems like our TWC bill goes up a dollar every month. I want to cut the cord, literally, but haven't found a good alternative yet.

Netflix and Hulu + Roku (in case you don't know, Roku is basically an internet media streaming device for your TV/entertainment system). We also subscribe to HBOGo (or whatever they are calling it now) on occasion to watch things like GOTh. If you don't mind being a season behind on some things that pretty much takes care of it. The offerings on Roku have diminished though as the cable companies got scared and started threatening the smaller guys (sci-fi channel for example) that if they didn't remove their Roku offering they would kick them off their basic plans. For a while I got almost everything on basic cable on Roku for free. Still, we spend about $30 on Netflix and Hulu total, and I think HBO is like $15. Really Netflix and Hulu have great offerings for the price. Netflix has been creating some very good content that competes with the better stuff from AMC and HBO, IMO.

I'll have to look into netfix and hulu. We live in Clark County so local tv reception is going to suck pretty bad for stuff like Grimm and Bengal's games. ESPN is a must for junior, I like the the History channel, wife will leave me if we don't get the Hallmark channel. If I'm reading my cable bill correctly, we're paying over $130 a month for tv and a dvr, there has to be a cheaper alternative. 

16 hours ago, Bengals1181 said:

Lucid, what do you do for Bengals games and other sports?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't been watching other sports since I cut the cord. I never watched much anyway besides Reds games, and I honestly enjoy listening to the radio broadcast just as much. Occasionally I would catch a Cavs game, but I don't miss it. I have a roof antenna and get great HD reception for Bengals games. The only bummer is no DVR, but I have long since decided I didn't want to watch NFL over cable for separate reasons.

11 hours ago, Enon Bengal said:

I'll have to look into netfix and hulu. We live in Clark County so local tv reception is going to suck pretty bad for stuff like Grimm and Bengal's games. ESPN is a must for junior, I like the the History channel, wife will leave me if we don't get the Hallmark channel. If I'm reading my cable bill correctly, we're paying over $130 a month for tv and a dvr, there has to be a cheaper alternative. 

HULU is a combination of CBS, NBC and FOX (I think) and so most of your regular broadcast TV is available over HULU. I just verified you can watch the latest 5 episodes of Grimm on Hulu. Netflix is better for original content and movies. Netflix is also great for documentaries if you like that sort of thing. There is an NFL Roku channel that you can combine with the NFL Game Pass to watch NFL games. Although not sure about real time broadcast. Also WatchESPN just released over Roku but I am not sure if/how much it costs.

Archived