Small Suggestion

So I realize ArkansasBengal is the one who posts most of the articles and such, which is greatly appreciated by me and I'm sure everyone who visits this forum, so I guess I'm mostly talking you, buddy.  Anyways, what are your thoughts about potentially adding articles to existing threads instead of starting a new thread for each article?  Many times, the subject matter of the article is such that it can go into an already existing thread, which has similar or exact same subject matter.  Obviously certain articles or info will require their own thread but there are some that could be combined with existing threads.   It seems to me, it would improve the 'efficiency' of the board and reduce 'noise'.  

Does this make sense?   Hope I didn't offend, not my intention...just throwing it out there.   Anyone agree?  Disagree?  Am I being a douche?  Probably.  

This has actually been discussed by the mods/Go and I. The consensus was that it would be a monumental pain in the ass to slog through massive threads to find new articles. The new thread per article makes it easier for folks to show up, read the new stuff, and move on. Now, when certain subjects produce a ton of articles, we do at times consolidate to try and keep things from turning into a mess (like with The Quitter), but overall we feel the current process works best for everyone. 

And thanks again, AB!

This has actually been discussed by the mods/Go and I. The consensus was that it would be a monumental pain in the ass to slog through massive threads to find new articles. The new thread per article makes it easier for folks to show up, read the new stuff, and move on. Now, when certain subjects produce a ton of articles, we do at times consolidate to try and keep things from turning into a mess (like with The Quitter), but overall we feel the current process works best for everyone. 

And thanks again, AB!

This is true. And I held the opinion similar to Khat. I prefer the neatness of consolidated articles but I also see the merit in separating them for ease of access. I was in the minority in that discussion and it appears we remain so now. 

Why not give articles their own category (like the shit talking or Jesus and Dubya categories) or sub category? Then you would have the articles all separated and organized and they wouldn't be blowing up the discussion category. Just a suggestion as I too like the articles but sometimes they can blow other things off the first page. 

Disagree with anything that isn't the current way of doing things.

It's Bengals articles. So deserving of its position in the Bengals subforum.
They provoke discussion, perfect for the Bengals subforum.
They're easy to find. I struggle to find my own posts in some threads, let alone someone elses.

If they were moved to their own subforum all discussion would be there and the Bengals stuff would just be gameday threads and GBU. Lastly although there is some overlap there is a big difference between an article by Florio and one by Barnett.

Why not give articles their own category (like the shit talking or Jesus and Dubya categories) or sub category? Then you would have the articles all separated and organized and they wouldn't be blowing up the discussion category. Just a suggestion as I too like the articles but sometimes they can blow other things off the first page. 

This is a good idea. The one thing that comes to mind though is that many times the articles spawn discussion and sometimes side threads. I wonder to what degree if any separating them into a separate category would have a dampening affect on that.

Also, I am glad Khat so tactfully brought this up in the main forum. It's a good discussion to have and something which the community at large should have some input on IMO. After all, this site is "For Bengals Fans, By Bengals Fans". Whatever the majority finds most helpful best serves the community overall.

One thing to point out though is that it is only the times of the very heaviest of activity that this is even an issue. And in the slower periods, there are times when the articles posted by the staff are practically the only posting that's happening.

From a "more lurker than participant" perspective, I do agree with Khat...at least partially...in cases where the subject matter is exactly the same, e.g. Eifert 3 TD's.  When there are 8 different threads to read thru to get the cumulative story/opinions/discussions, and overlaps in each, there seems to be room for improvement.

On the other hand, I can see the positives of leaving it as-is as noted above by various posters.  Grouping would be subjective and could get very time-consuming.

Just so there is no mistake, I have no complaints and sincerely appreciate the one-stop-shopping that this forum provides.  I know many spend time/effort to make this site what it is and I am thankful.

I don't think we should change how articles are currently posted.  I know for a fact that there are  LOT of members that ONLY come to read the articles.  They never post, they never get involved in the squabbles, and they really don't give a damn about the comments we make. 

Besides, who would decide what category an article should go to?  Should an article about Dalton go into the 'All Things Andy Dalton' thread?  What if that article also discusses AJ Green--should it go into a 'All Things AJ Green' thread too?  Or would we need a cross reference that contains all the articles and where they can be found...

It much easier for anyone that wants to post an article to just post it.  If it's a crappy article, it likely won't get a lot of discussion, but at least it's out there.

And believe it or not, but I don't post EVERY article I find on the internet.  There are a LOT of poorly-written and/or duplicate articles that I ignore. 

I don't think we should change how articles are currently posted.  I know for a fact that there are  LOT of members that ONLY come to read the articles.  They never post, they never get involved in the squabbles, and they really don't give a damn about the comments we make. 

Besides, who would decide what category an article should go to?  Should an article about Dalton go into the 'All Things Andy Dalton' thread?  What if that article also discusses AJ Green--should it go into a 'All Things AJ Green' thread too?  Or would we need a cross reference that contains all the articles and where they can be found...

It much easier for anyone that wants to post an article to just post it.  If it's a crappy article, it likely won't get a lot of discussion, but at least it's out there.

And believe it or not, but I don't post EVERY article I find on the internet.  There are a LOT of poorly-written and/or duplicate articles that I ignore. 

That is the crux of the argument... 

You do a FABULOUS job AB!! You deserve a one pound bonus in your pay bucket. :)

This is true. And I held the opinion similar to Khat. I prefer the neatness of consolidated articles but I also see the merit in separating them for ease of access. I was in the minority in that discussion and it appears we remain so now. 

That was my thinking as well....I prefer the neatness but absolutely see the merits of continuing it as it currently is being done.   And ArkansasBengal, you do a marvelous job of posting articles....again, pls take no offense to my original post.  

So.........nothing to see here folks.  Thread can be moved to trash bin and the poster who started it can be banned.  Everyone wins.  

No offense taken.  As long as they continue to let me work from home (3 straight years now), I'm more than happy to to surf the net all day and post articles for everyone to enjoy.

Especially THIS year.  I'm one of the older guys on this board and have been following the Bengals since they were born in 1968.  I have to tell you that this is the best Bengals team I have ever seen.  I hope the magical season continues and we end up in Santa Clara in February (and WIN this time!).

WHO DEY!!!

Archived