2015/2016 Off-Season. Firesale Edition

JC

Open for business.  Apparently everyone that is somebody is on the block.  I would assume Chapman and Bruce are the best bets to go at this point.  If we could get a good haul for Todd, I don't see why we wouldn't pull the trigger.  Getting Phillips and his contract out of here would be gravy.  I don't know how we could get out from under Votto's contract, but I guess there is a slim chance if we take on some of it after the season he had.  

Going to be in the basement for a few years, fella's.

Open for business.  Apparently everyone that is somebody is on the block.  I would assume Chapman and Bruce are the best bets to go at this point.  If we could get a good haul for Todd, I don't see why we wouldn't pull the trigger.  Getting Phillips and his contract out of here would be gravy.  I don't know how we could get out from under Votto's contract, but I guess there is a slim chance if we take on some of it after the season he had.  

Going to be in the basement for a few years, fella's.

Ah, don't say that!  They are replacing the guy who ran a roster full of all-star talent straight into the ground with the owner's son, who I'm certain is the most qualified candidate available.

:ninja:

Basements at least have some structure.  This is more of a muddy hole with an old refrigerator in it.

That sounds more like an apt description.  Thanks!

Red Sox just gave away 4 top 30 prospects for Kimbrel.  Including 2 top 100 prospects league wide.  I'd like to think that Chapman could get a similar haul but he only has a year and QO left on his contract.  Not sure who else is in the ring for a closer besides the Astro's after the Red Sox though.  I really hope they make a pretty penny off Chapman. 

That sounds more like an apt description.  Thanks!

Red Sox just gave away 4 top 30 prospects for Kimbrel.  Including 2 top 100 prospects league wide.  I'd like to think that Chapman could get a similar haul but he only has a year and QO left on his contract.  Not sure who else is in the ring for a closer besides the Astro's after the Red Sox though.  I really hope they make a pretty penny off Chapman. 

If he's gonna go - & that seems almost certain - I'd love to see him go to the Lastros.  I grew up watching them, meaning watching them squander talent, but he could have an impact.  At the same time it was hard enough seeing Cueto win a WS for another team. Congrats to him of course but I was at his debut for the Reds & have been a fan ever since. Pretty fuckin lame having to see this Reds team get broken down for scrap.  Inexcusable, really.  They're going to have to work to maintain my interest next season.  Making the owner's son the de facto GM is not a good start.

Yeah, I can't see me watching much, if any games next year.  This is going to be a sad squad.  Bottom of the NL central wire-to-wire I'm sure.  I would like the Astros as they were fun to watch this season, but I'm more interested to see if the Marlins become a player in this game.  I imagine Chapman would love to end up in Miami since he lives there during the off-season and there is quite a large amount of cuban-americans in the area.  

He's been fun to watch.  I'll be sad to see him go. Its been one downward rollercoaster since Cueto strained his oblique against the Giants. 

I would hate to see them trade Todd, because they were needing a power hitting right hand bat for years and they finally have one!

I would say its not problem letting younger guys play and get some experience IF they had some good ones coming up, but I'm not sure that they do.

• 2 weeks later...

I would hate to see them trade Todd, because they were needing a power hitting right hand bat for years and they finally have one!

I would say its not problem letting younger guys play and get some experience IF they had some good ones coming up, but I'm not sure that they do.

Yeah and besides, I like The Toddfather.

Realistically though I suspect they're years away from competing again & it'd be better to restock so the next group are maturing around the same time.

All null & void if Bob Jr really becomes the GM, in which case they should probably just rebrand as a men's choir to better fit his area of expertise.

http://bobcastellini.com/

I am starting to hate baseball.  

Build a team,  get some great players, make the Playoffs  only to trade away

all great players in hopes that the players you get in return will someday be great and you make

the Playoffs and trade them all away some day. Wash.  Rinse.  Repeat.

I am starting to hate baseball.  

Build a team,  get some great players, make the Playoffs  only to trade away

all great players in hopes that the players you get in return will someday be great and you make

the Playoffs and trade them all away some day. Wash.  Rinse.  Repeat.

I don't think it's a problem with MLB.  Sure, the lack of salary cap means the Reds need to develop their own talent. They're trading away all those guys because the window has slammed shut due to giving All-Star contracts to marginal players. 

I don't think it's a problem with MLB.  Sure, the lack of salary cap means the Reds need to develop their own talent. They're trading away all those guys because the window has slammed shut due to giving All-Star contracts to marginal players. 

The only player I can think of who got an All-Star contract that shouldn't have is Homer Bailey.

The only player I can think of who got an All-Star contract that shouldn't have is Homer Bailey.

I don't think Votto is worth what they're paying him either, but yeah.  That Bailey contract crippled them. 50 mil + for Bruce with a no-trade clause was stupid.  The Ludwig deal.. Renting Choo.. IDK.

Point being this is a mess made by the front office. MLB has its problems but the current Reds trainwreck is all on the team.

Votto might be close to worth what we are paying him but...

What if a few years ago instead of giving him 250M we traded him with a  year or so left on his contract. We would have gotten a HAUL. Some top notch ML ready prospects. Would all of them have panned out? Probably not.

But even if we got some decent players out of the deal and have an extra 20M or so a year to spend on retaining our own guys or signing B level free agents, we would be in a lot better shape IMO.

I like Todd, but I think we should do the same thing with him. We aren't winning anything in the next two years and we can't afford to give him a 100M contract. Get some top prospects now and use that money elsewhere.

You always get 6 years of control over a guy you grow (like a frazier, votto, etc). The way Id run the reds is take guys like that. If they are all star caliber in their first 3-4 years, Id sign them to an extension that would take their last 2 years of arbitration and pay them significantly more but add on 1/2 years as well. Then when they are approaching the end of that deal (after playing for the team 6 or so years) id trade them for as much as I can get unless we are really close to a WS then id let them play out their contracts.

Seems pretty simple really. Had we traded Bailey, Phillips, Votto back 2/3 years ago, right now we would probably have a young team on the cusp like we did in 2010-2012.

Votto might be close to worth what we are paying him but...

What if a few years ago instead of giving him 250M we traded him with a  year or so left on his contract. We would have gotten a HAUL. Some top notch ML ready prospects. Would all of them have panned out? Probably not.

But even if we got some decent players out of the deal and have an extra 20M or so a year to spend on retaining our own guys or signing B level free agents, we would be in a lot better shape IMO.

I like Todd, but I think we should do the same thing with him. We aren't winning anything in the next two years and we can't afford to give him a 100M contract. Get some top prospects now and use that money elsewhere.

You always get 6 years of control over a guy you grow (like a frazier, votto, etc). The way Id run the reds is take guys like that. If they are all star caliber in their first 3-4 years, Id sign them to an extension that would take their last 2 years of arbitration and pay them significantly more but add on 1/2 years as well. Then when they are approaching the end of that deal (after playing for the team 6 or so years) id trade them for as much as I can get unless we are really close to a WS then id let them play out their contracts.

Seems pretty simple really. Had we traded Bailey, Phillips, Votto back 2/3 years ago, right now we would probably have a young team on the cusp like we did in 2010-2012.

+1 you got all of that one dude

This is how you have to operate if you can't afford a squad of mercenaries & probably the smart way to go even if you can.

Archived