Offense floundering the last 3-weeks

I thought we were building towards something special on offense, but with the exception of a good quarter or so against THE BROWNS - this offense has looked rather mediocre the last 3-games. What the heck is going on? I'm tired of J. Hill getting so many carries when Gio has demonstrated the ability to gash defenses. I'm also tired of Hue's exotic formations which aren't nearly as effective as some seem to think. We need to get back to basics and execute.

I hesitate to say this, but I'm going to anyway. Andy's play is starting to tail off. Is that a function of the execution around him, tougher defenses, or is he to blame? I'd say it's a little of everything really, and his frame of mind is going to erode if things continue this way. We've seen this before. Sling your arrows, but I think the coaches need to find a way to simplify things and set the offense up for success. If not, Andy's confidence will go in the toilet, and you can forget about the Genius Ginger going to Disneyland in Feb.

I thought we were building towards something special on offense, but with the exception of a good quarter or so against THE BROWNS - this offense has looked rather mediocre the last 3-games. What the heck is going on? I'm tired of J. Hill getting so many carries when Gio has demonstrated the ability to gash defenses. I'm also tired of Hue's exotic formations which aren't nearly as effective as some seem to think. We need to get back to basics and execute.

I hesitate to say this, but I'm going to anyway. Andy's play is starting to tail off. Is that a function of the execution around him, tougher defenses, or is he to blame? I'd say it's a little of everything really, and his frame of mind is going to erode if things continue this way. We've seen this before. Sling your arrows, but I think the coaches need to find a way to simplify things and set the offense up for success. If not, Andy's confidence will go in the toilet, and you can forget about the Genius Ginger going to Disneyland in Feb.

For whatever reason the offense seems to have a mid season slump each year. Maybe it is defensive coordinators getting enough tape to game plan better, but it seems like more of an internal issue. It has happened under multiple coordinators as well. We have been able to go 2-1 through the slump so far because the defense has hit their stride. 

I love complicated offensive game plans, it reminds me of Sam and Boomer et al but right now simplifying things and getting their confidence back is probably the best cure. 

I lean toward the problem being Hue Jackson.  He's becoming a vanity playcaller with all his screwy packages.  A few of them is fine, but does this collection of offensive talent need that many gimmicks to be successful?  At some point the execution suffers and I think this is what you are seeing with the Bengals.  

Bernard has been fabulous this year.  He has also been healthy.  Start giving him the ball 20 times a game that that won't last.  The Bengals need Hill, or someone, to keep the wear and tear off Bernard.  

I lean toward the problem being Hue Jackson.  He's becoming a vanity playcaller with all his screwy packages.  A few of them is fine, but does this collection of offensive talent need that many gimmicks to be successful?  At some point the execution suffers and I think this is what you are seeing with the Bengals.  

Bernard has been fabulous this year.  He has also been healthy.  Start giving him the ball 20 times a game that that won't last.  The Bengals need Hill, or someone, to keep the wear and tear off Bernard.  

At some point you just line up and run them over.  Style points only matter if you're, say, auditioning for a HC gig.  For example.

Though it's worth noting they scored 31 the week before

Yeah, who am I, but my problem with Huey's offense is it is so... damn... SLOW!  We see time outs taken to prevent delay of game penalties which under most circumstances is terrible (exceptions like X player lined up wrong etc.)  I miss the old hurry up, no huddle and "sugar" huddle.  Get to the line and get the freakin' play OFF.  Too much time for the defense to adjust or collect their thoughts before the snap of the ball.

Also would like to see a LOT more drop back passing.  Maybe the shot gun for passes compensates for an Andy weakness or something.  But so much of the time its under center, run, shotgun pass (or draw play).

And, whatever, it seems to be working so...

Houston is the game, IMO.   Can't say last 3.    They rolled against the Browns.   Buffalo was a decent defense/secondary.     I think Pittsburgh was comedy of errors early that let the Stealers capture the game and then they awesomely gave it back to us.

The problems from Houston can't be sprayed to other games to start trying to define problems, IMO.  

The biggest issue with Hue and the offense is once again like in Indy last year they don't have an identity.  Which is to say when the tough games or tough parts of the game come about they do not appear to have a bread and butter solution or mentality to go to.     I think a lot of this has to do with Hue getting to cute and trying to involve every last skill player he has.

The offense needs to start feeding AJ, Eifert and Gio (I used to say Hill but he is struggling for sure).   Get those pieces going first and early.   2nd halves against Houston with these weapons in which they have 1 first down after a bunch of time ran off should never happen with that unit.  NEVER.    

They are trying to get the ball to Hewitt/Burkhead/Jones which is nice.  But when you struggle like you did against Houston.  You should never look back and see 0 TDs and AJ Green with only 7 targets.   When the going gets tough force the ball to him and it represents no bigger chance of failure than going to other places.   Monday was a bad reminder of that.   Can't let defenses scare you away from Green.

Maybe we shouldn't be blaming Hue...didn't Andy say he has been changing the play with audibles about 40% of the time?

I saw a lot of that late when they were running the no-huddle.  That also contributed to Winston being 1 on 1 with Watt as well.  Several of the called plays and packages had someone helping Winston most of the time, but that went away on the last two drives it seems.

Still, I thought the Bengals were way too fancy early in the game with the extra tackles and spread formations.  None of it worked.  In fact, some of the plays were doomed, especially when you ask Eifert, who can't block for squat, to come in motion and block a DE/LB.  That fancy play blew up a drive inside the 20.  

It was amazing to me they didn't throw his way more.  They were quite often lined up 8+ yards off of him.  Should be pitch and catch at that point.

A good example of letting them scare them away is at the end of the first half.     They played bracket coverage with Safeties over Green and underneath on Eifert.

Dalton made the correct read and threw it to Jones vs. Joesph which landed out of bounds.     However the safety on Green didn't get over.   You have to give him a chance to make a play and even more so considering worse case is an Int at the end of the half with little time.

I think it's a combination of a few things.  First, the bye week killed the momentum and rhythm the offense had.  I know a few players talked openly about how much they hated the bye when things were rolling as they were.  Coming off the bye, I wasn't expecting an offensive display...especially against Pitt.  Then a short week, simple game plan against Cleveland led to 31 pts but that's Cleveland.....on Thursday night football... so doesn't really count.  Then they have another bye of sorts as they have 10 days between games and then put together that effort.  The defense isn't timing based, so it's performed better after the bye.  

Next thing is teams have realized that if there isn't pressure on Dalton, he's going to pick you apart with the skill players available to him.  Teams have brought pressure.  When blitzes are picked up properly, and Dalton has time even though the other team blitzed, there are big plays but that's not the case very often.  Most times blitzes are getting into the backfield and as a result, Dalton gets rattled.  If it happens often enough it effects him the remainder of the game, causing him to leave the pocket too early at times or not go through progressions in trying to force the ball to the primary target on the play.  Oline has to get its act together, having Andre back will help.   

Lastly, playcalling.  Hue is a great coach, but he often out thinks himself.  I don't mind the 'cute' plays but the sooner he realizes he has better players at almost every position on offense than the defense can throw at them, the better this offense will perform.  No need for a reverse in the red zone, relying on a TE to make a key block.  A TE known for pass catching at that.  

Everyone's kind of been blowing smoke up their asses, the OL in particular, but generally speaking if you can't trust your OL to line up & get you 3 yards on the ground I'd say you don't really have an offense. Trickery will only get you so far & weird formation shifts aren't much to hang your hat on when the going gets tough. We've seen how quickly all that choreography can turn into a Benny Hill sketch under pressure.

Consider the possibility that the shotgun formations & 3-step drops are there to cover for the OL rather than Dalton.  I don't really want it to happen but it sure would be educational for some of the fans if Dalton were to miss a game.  Unfortunately it'd be that much easier to blame a back-up QB but at least maybe people would realize that there are 10 other guys on offense.  I guess it's easier to blame "Bad Andy" than admit some of them may be a bit overrated.

It's interesting. Right now this team looks a lot like last year's version before all the injuries. I was expecting more. If they have another gear they can tap, this is the week they need to find it. We aren't holding the Cardinals to 10, I can promise you that.

Not being able to run does not help anything. It makes the offense one dimensional and the defenses out there can tee off on that. 

Thing is, Gio is averaging 5.5 a carry & only got 8 attempts vs Houston.  I can only assume they don't think he can handle the load?  Then there's Hill, who may be struggling for a lot of reasons but also strikes me as the type of RB that needs a good 10 carries or so to get rolling.  You can't send a power RB out there in an obvious run situation, run him between the tackles & then blame him for not getting chunks of yards.  That's setting him up to fail.

We don't play in a dome; we're going to need 120+ yard days from one of them to keep stacking wins.

It's interesting. Right now this team looks a lot like last year's version before all the injuries. I was expecting more. If they have another gear they can tap, this is the week they need to find it. We aren't holding the Cardinals to 10, I can promise you that.

Why not?  They're missing their two starting guards, potentially Floyd and Brown as well.  And the Bengals have the #1 scoring defense in the NFL.  And also, Arizona has a QB that gets rattled when pressured who's not very mobile.

Why not?  They're missing their two starting guards, potentially Floyd and Brown as well.  And the Bengals have the #1 scoring defense in the NFL.  And also, Arizona has a QB that gets rattled when pressured who's not very mobile.

Carson isn't going to make the NFL QB track team for sure.   He was very good last week in moving slightly in the pocket and keeping eyes down field and made several plays.

Archived