AMA calls for ban on presecription drug advertising

CincyInDC

I hope the AMA has deeper pockets than pharmaceutical companies. 

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/645dff9967b04f12b863a9229b724d97/american-medical-association-backs-prescription-drug-ad-ban

I always thought ads for prescription drugs was a bad idea.  Maybe ads which say, "if you have disease X there might be a new treatment available; ask your doctor" would be acceptable. Having lived with a hypochondriac has made me more wary of the TV ads, I guess.

I hope the AMA has deeper pockets than pharmaceutical companies. 

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/645dff9967b04f12b863a9229b724d97/american-medical-association-backs-prescription-drug-ad-ban

I always thought ads for prescription drugs was a bad idea.  Maybe ads which say, "if you have disease X there might be a new treatment available; ask your doctor" would be acceptable. Having lived with a hypochondriac has made me more wary of the TV ads, I guess.

Heaven forbid people be aware of their treatment options.

Not just that but the average patient isnt going to know better than their doctor.

But don't tell them that.  We've got a real Luddite/anti-education streak going on these days.  "Gawdamn egghead Ivy League libruls thinkin' they know more than me just cuz they spent a lifetime studyin the topic I just got riled up about ten minutes ago when I saw it on the TV!  Comin in MY HOWSE tryna tell me how to perform open heart surgery!"

Take away the ads doesn't help much. There's still a bunch of salespeople running around to all the doctors' offices, pushing their drugs. The entire practice sickens me.

I disagree, and think it will most definitely help, aside from making television significantly less annoying. Physicians and PCP's are being deluged with ignorant people coming in and demanding drugs they do not need for conditions which they do not have. This environment has escalated relentlessly since the DEA and FCC were bought off by lobbyists and the scourge of drug ads were foisted upon the American public. At least if the attack reps are sequestered to the physician offices, they are pitching to trained medical professionals who know if the drug pertains to the patient presented to them at that moment. And you're right, the practice is reprehensible, but at least it can be somewhat contained and taken out of reach of individuals with no training, no background in medicine, and no common sense. 

In addition the AMA is dead on that it significantly increases the costs of healthcare delivery, and causes excess and unneeded treatments. 

And when reading my rant, please keep in mind that I've spent the majority of the last decade and a half working in the healthcare industry, and currently work for one of the largest acute care delivery corporations in the United States. I see the cost, I see the profit, and I see the results of superfluous treatments that don't address the root cause. The American public has been brainwashed into thinking that popping a pill solves all of life's ills. It's time for someone to step in and push back...

But being a father, I've felt like the doctors push the drugs as well. I don't know what kind of kickbacks they get, but I feel like the first solution to any problem is some kind of drug. I see your point as well.

Oh, you are absolutely correct. In fact, a wholesale retraining of the primary care community about addressing root cause would be stage 2, in conjunction with a crackdown of the pharma kickback machine. Of course, for a PCP to be able to address the root cause of a disease with a patient, it would require them to spend more than 7 minutes with them on an appointment. That would require scuttling the capitated provider model (HMO) and an overhaul of our healthcare delivery system as a whole. In that regard (among many, really) the ACA has been a complete and utter failure... 

No, I believe a patient should educate him or herself on their condition, and their options.  It is their life or well being that is being impacted.  That includes knowing what medications are available to him or her and discussing them with their doctor.  If the doctor is the only one that knows what is going on it is NOT in the patients best interest.

No, I believe a patient should educate him or herself on their condition, and their options.  It is their life or well being that is being impacted.  That includes knowing what medications are available to him or her and discussing them with their doctor.  If the doctor is the only one that knows what is going on it is NOT in the patients best interest.

And you think a 30-second TV spot is a reliable source for that information?

Not just that, but the level of education required to understand medications and how things interact with other medications you may or may not be taking so not something the average laymen is going to have.

Not just that, but the level of education required to understand medications and how things interact with other medications you may or may not be taking so not something the average laymen is going to have.

What you think just because someone spent a decade plus on med school & internships they know more about medicine than I do?!

Elitist.

:ninja:

It's a source of information.  And regardless of what the patient sees on TV, the patient and doctor discuss the options for treatment.  But the more the patient knows, the better.

It's a source of information.  And regardless of what the patient sees on TV, the patient and doctor discuss the options for treatment.  But the more the patient knows, the better.

Which one of those pills had the giant fluorescent cartoon moth that tries to smother you with a pillow?  Avoid that one.

Archived