Key Injuries Pile Up On Cardinals

Key Injuries Pile Up On Cardinals

Posted 14 hours ago

Notes: Four offensive starters miss practice; Peterson's challenge; Fitz's pay grade

InjuriesCincyMAIN.jpg
Wide receiver Michael Floyd (left) and guard Jonathan Cooper missed practice Wednesday with injuries suffered against the Seahawks

While “Next man up” was the rallying cry of the Cardinals as injuries piled up last season, favorable health has kept that mantra on the backburner in 2015. It may need to get dusted off, depending on how several key pieces heal up over the next few days.

The Cardinals had seven players – including four offensive starters -- miss practice on Wednesday, and coach Bruce Arians said all of them are currently in doubt for Sunday night’s game against the 8-1 Bengals.

Both starting guards – Mike Iupati (neck/concussion) and Jonathan Cooper (knee) – sat Wednesday, as did wide receiver Michael Floyd (hamstring), wide receiver John Brown (hamstring), linebacker Markus Golden (ankle), defensive tackle Cory Redding (ankle) and cornerback Justin Bethel (flu).

“You want to go into a big game with a loaded gun,” quarterback Carson Palmer said. “We’re definitely banged up, beat up and guys have to make plays. Guys have to step up.”

Earl Watford replaced Iupati against the Seahawks, while Ted Larsen – who was inactive Sunday -- filled in early in the season when Iupati was out with a knee injury. Arians said the backup guards alternated repetitions at Cooper and Iupati’s spots, and he would feel fine using them both if needed.

“Earl has started, what, five games now? Four games? And played a really good second half the other night,” Arians said. “Teddy has started 20-something games (in his career). A lot of people would love to have that as their starters.”

Brown missed the win in Cleveland before the bye, and while he played against the Seahawks, he didn’t catch a pass on three targets. While the offense was just fine with Floyd and Larry Fitzgerald leading the way, the Cardinals are hoping Brown can get past this hamstring issue.

“It’s been a concern for about three weeks,” Arians said. “He needs to get back to full strength.”

“He’s probably hesitant to let it go,” Arians added. “He’s let it go in practice a few times and it was OK, but I think he’s afraid of tearing it.”

The team’s generally good health has decreased the need for fill-ins, but Watford said the expectation is still high for backups.

“That’s what we thrive on – everybody being interchangeable and everybody being ready to step in and do just as well as the man before him,” Watford said. “We’ve just got to stay ready.”

Fitzgerald (ankle) was listed as a limited participant at practice, as were center Lyle Sendlein (shoulder) and safety Rashad Johnson (ribs).

For the Bengals, cornerback Adam Jones (foot), defensive tackle Pat Sims (knee) and tackle Andrew Whitworth (not injury-related) didn’t practice, while those limited were linebacker Vontaze Burfict (knee), defensive end Carlos Dunlap (shoulder), cornerback Leon Hall (not injury-related), tackle Andrew Smith (concussion) and safety Shawn Williams (ankle).

CHALLENGES AWAIT CARDINALS DEFENSE

Safety Tyrann Mathieu was asked about the Bengals offense, which is coming off just a six-point performance against the Texans but is still fifth in the NFL, averaging 26.1 points per game.

“A talented offense,” Mathieu said. “Guys all over the place that can make plays for them. It’s a good challenge.”

And what about star wide receiver A.J. Green specifically?

“That’s Pat’s challenge,” a laughing Mathieu said.

Patrick Peterson, the Cardinals’ shutdown corner, has been impressive this season as he prepares for another big test. He didn’t allow a completion on just one pass thrown at him against the Seahawks, and has still only given up one touchdown on the year, according to Pro Football Focus.

Green is eighth in the NFL with 769 receiving yards and has four touchdowns.

PASSING ON THE TIGHT ENDS

The Cardinals’ tight ends have been consistent targets for Palmer in the red zone, as Darren Fells (2), Troy Niklas (2) and Jermaine Gresham (1) have combined for five receiving scores. But none has accumulated more than 13 catches or 167 receiving yards this year despite Palmer’s Pro Bowl-level season through the air.

Arians said there’s an easy answer for why they aren’t featured more in the passing game.

“We pay Larry (Fitzgerald) and those guys too much money to throw it to the tight ends,” Arians said. “They’re here to block.”

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Key-Injuries-Pile-Up-On-Cardinals/3de2b82e-46c7-471e-9fe4-a4b94120fe3a

The last time we took advantage of a hurt offensive line was 1973 I think

I know you're being factious but there was a game a few years ago that the Packers had the LT hurt and Antwon Odom took advantage sacking Rodgers for 5 sacks.

Man that was a beautiful day.

The really don't seem to do much with TEs in routes at all.     It's pretty much release off the line, run straight, turn around in front of the LB.    Every now and then you'll see them streak a TE up the seam.

From what I can tell based on Seattle they run behind the TEs exclusively.   It seemed almost always behind Gresh but a lot of formations with double TEs to the same side.

They've beaten up on several injured lines in recent times.    Just think about it.   Who have we wanted extensions for?  Zimmer, Atkins, Dunlap, MJ.   Many games with many fine rush performances against healthy or non healthy lines.

However, the most glaring failure and it is recent was vs. Luck in the playoffs.   He was on his 11th o-line combo and the pressure wasn't there.  Oddly enough Hunt of all people got a sack, I think. 

AJ Green will have to show how much of a man he is. Against physical and tight coverage he's had problems before. Let's see if he can redeem himself and shake the soft moniker.

I was a little surprised how often the Cards played zone vs. Wilson and the Seahawks.    Probably have to check game situation but I was expecting all man to man physical coverage.

I know you're being factious but there was a game a few years ago that the Packers had the LT hurt and Antwon Odom took advantage sacking Rodgers for 5 sacks.

Man that was a beautiful day.

Indeed it was. I was there. 75 and not a cloud in the sky.  Although who the hell gets sunburn in friggin' Wisconsin?  (hint:  me)

Apparently. We are the far superior team imo. We shall see I guess.

It's the Texans game. The Browns game had everyone thinking the old Bengals who couldn't win in Prime Time were long gone. The Texans game has everyone thinking the Browns game was a fluke.

Friggin' Houston.

Ultimately they adjust the spread to even the money.      There is consideration of team's playing on MNF that have to go on the road the week following.   Also consideration given to a road MNF team that has to go on the road the week following.    The win percentage is effected. The Bengals had two scheduling advantages as the Chiefs had to go on the road following a road MNF and the Bengals caught a WC team going on the road following a Monday Night Home appearance.

Waiting to regain feeling in both arms was 'scary feeling' for Mike Iupati

Josh Weinfuss, ESPN Staff Writer

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Before he collided with Seattle Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor on Sunday night, Arizona Cardinals left guard Mike Iupati had never experienced stingers on both sides of his body.

One side, yes. Both sides, never.

That’s when the 28-year-old got scared.

“When your neck hurts and both of your arms go numb, it’s a scary feeling,” Iupati said Thursday.

Feeling began to return to his arms while he was still laying on the turf at CenturyLink Field in Seattle in the middle of the second quarter.

“Just one of those things you got to pray and it kind of went away,” Iupati said.

But waiting wasn’t easy. While doctors from both teams attended to him on the field and paramedics strapped him onto stabilizing boards and then a stretcher, Iupati was told not to move. It was easier said than done for Iupati when he was trying to make sure he could, actually, move.

“It’s scary when something like that happen and you’re waiting for it to go away and the doctor says you can’t move your neck,” Iupati said. “So you’re like, ‘How do you know if it’s OK or not?’ You can’t move it.”

Iupati praised the Cardinals trainers for following the necessary protocols on the field and being able to send word to his wife, Ashley, that he was going to be OK.

The injury happened when Iupati pulled on a run play for Cardinals running back Chris Johnson. The crown of his head collided with Chancellor’s shoulder, leaving Iupati motionless on the field for about 8 minutes. Looking back on the play, Iupati said his angle to block Chancellor was “wrong.”

“I was a little nervous,” offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin said. “When you’re pulling towards Kam, you better be prepared because he brings a load. Much respect for that guy.

“I was just glad (Iupati) was OK, and it’s good to see him back on the practice field.”

Iupati returned to practice Thursday in a limited form. Going forward, Iupati said he needs to be “smart” on the field. As for playing Sunday night against the Cincinnati Bengals, Iupati said, “I should be OK.”

But Goodwin said a decision on Iupati hasn’t been made yet.

“(He) looked fine. Got some work in today,” Goodwin said. “We’ll see what happens going into tomorrow, into Saturday to see whether he makes it or not on Sunday.

“Excited to have him back out there. He’s still goofy Mike, so I’m good.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/17573/waiting-to-regain-feeling-in-both-arms-was-scary-feeling-for-mike-iupati

I have the same problem, ...arms fall asleep if I raise them above my head, ...Manning admits to the same problem with his neck and hands falling asleep.

I have 3 ruptured disks in my neck.

Is he really going to play Sunday?  ...if so, ...they don't care much about this guy, ...cannon fodder.

Archived