In search of the Bengals player who said Carson Palmer 'quit on us' in 2011

In search of the Bengals player who said Carson Palmer 'quit on us' in 2011

Ben Rohrbach
Shutdown Corner

Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer made no attempt to hide his hype for Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals, who drafted him No. 1 overall in 2003 and traded him eight years later. 

@pauldehnerjr

C. Palmer: "It’s not just another game. I’m not going to bore you with that. There is definitely a lot on this one for me in particular."

Palmer's only career start against his former team was a brutal 34-10 loss as a member of the Oakland Raiders in 2012. The Bengals are one of five teams he's never beaten in a 12-year NFL career — his own Cardinals and the Buffalo Bills, New England Patriots and New York Giants are the others — so you could see why he might have a little extra juice flowing when the Bengals come to town on Sunday night.

Except, at least one Bengals player who preferred to remain nameless is wondering why Palmer carries so much animosity toward Cincinnati, when — in his mind — it should really be the other way around. 

@OmarDRuiz

Me to Bengals player: Were you here when Carson was here? Player(w/smile): "You mean the year he quit on us?" It's on. #CINvsAZ @nflnetwork

Palmer, of course, requested a trade after Cincinnati's abysmal 4-12 season in 2010, even threatening retirement before the Bengals relented in 2011 and dealt him to Oakland for two picks that turned out to be starting left cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick and talented running back Giovani Bernard. Not a bad haul.

Of course, we wish the player who said Palmer "quit" on the Bengals would've put a name to his quote to the NFL Network. A quick rundown of the roster shows 15 players remaining from the last time Palmer wore a Bengals uniform in 2010 and another three players who were in training camp when Palmer was dealt. That leaves us to speculate who we really hope made the "quit on us" proclamation about Palmer:

Andy Dalton? This would make for a fantastic rivarly between the former and current Bengals quarterbacks, the latter of whom benefited from the former's departure. We know Dalton isn't afraid to talk smack about anybody, since he recently fired back at Houston Texans behemoth J.J. Watt.

— Adam Jones? After missing all of the 2007 season for his alleged involvement in a strip club melee, it'd be glorious if Pacman was mad at Palmer for quitting on the team without making it rain.

— Mike Nugent? When's the last time we had a kicker calling players out publicly?

Clark Harris? Same goes for a long snapper. Not enough long-snapping smack talk these days.

A.J. Green? Maybe he figures he'd have caught more balls from Palmer than Dalton since 2011?

Considering Cincinnati's entire defensive line was there when Palmer played for the Bengals, he should probably hope it's not one of them, because their retaliation could make his life awful difficult on Sunday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/in-search-of-the-bengals-player-who-said-carson-palmer--quit-on-us--in-2011-161519371.html

Whitworth.    I think Whitworth had made some comments way back in 2011.   

AJ Green?  Dalton?   That's just dumb by the Author.  Those guys weren't Bengals until the draft in April and their first true Bengal action wouldn't have taken place for a while because of the lock out.    I doubt they even considered, Palmer a teammate consider they would never cross paths as Bengals.

If not Whit,  I think it would be a guy that played multiple seasons with Palmer.   Peko? Hall?  Rey? Smith?   I just don't see a rookie in 2010 getting all that attached and invested in that lockeroom during that season.    I would guess some of those rookies in 2010 wouldn't have given a fuck because the passing game and offense was such a mess that they'd be too upset that Palmer, TO, and Ocho were leaving.  

I sincerely think that it would be Big Whit that said that...He's been with Palmer the longest before the whole 2010 fiasco,  it's easy to think that he's seen alot with the stripes, not to mention seemed like Palmer was a pretty good friend the first few years when we also still had Levi and Big Willie.  That's the only one I say.

Pacman's too obvious--if something like that actually came from him, we would have already heard it from the mill already, not to mention a bunch of the talking heads going on about it.   Plus, he's been trying to keep things to himself and for all of us to refer to him as Adam Jones so that we can see him as one of the best corners playing in this season.

If Whit was Palmer's hunting partner,  Palmer would be hanging on his wall.    Whit hates Palmer.    They don't wife swap either.   Whit just fucks what he wants and doesn't share.

sorry, i meant swing, not wife swap, that's a show

Archived