The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - Cardinals

Except for the fact that AJ wasn't open and the situation says otherwise.  If it were 2nd and 2, yeah go for it.  Horrible game awareness.

If you're going to decide to check out of the run, at least make a good throw. Stupid Dalton. AJ had on chance on that one.

Except for the fact that AJ wasn't open and the situation says otherwise.  If it were 2nd and 2, yeah go for it.  Horrible game awareness.

No player is open if the Qb hits the defender in the head with the ball. 

There is no excuse for the play call, IMO.   Horrible game awareness.    Run the ball take the additional time off the clock and have the same FG chance you had before.

They were closer to losing the game on that throw vs. winning.   Not sure what thinking on that was. 

Good: Andy Dalton - Didn't blink even after the bad fumble

Gio Benard - Dude gives his all on every play

Tyler Eifert - Nice bounce back game 

Bad: Injuries - Especially to the DBs

Dre K - He is so hit or miss

Iloka - Coming up to stop Fitzgerald was a huge mistake

Ugly:  A.J. Green effort on the missed TD throw. If he dives for that ball (see Brandon Tate and Eifert a few weeks ago), its a TD. Maybe its just me, but I don't not see the same player he was during his rookie year, (when he didn't miss or drop anything).          

I know that's all been said by a few people so don't take this personally.  I'm only trying to avoid repeating it yet again.

3rd down call - inches from being a TD and a ballsy playcall that we'd all be celebrating.  The outcome doesn't always determine whether something was a good decision. They were playing to win the game.  AJ should've had better awareness & Dalton could've put a little more air under it. Either of those things happen and it's a whole different story.

Officiating: again, is what it is. "It's a passing league" so holding in particular is going to be ignored most of the time.  Also means marquee QB's get a level of protection others don't.  The other major sports have all had their scandals & cleaned up. The NFL hasn't, for reasons we don't need to get into again.

Hill: Did something stupid, but was it on the order of Pacman slamming someone's head into the ground? How come Green didn't get benched for fumbling? IDK why Hill's been Hue's whipping boy for the offense but he's fucking up a rare talent. We should've run him more, if anything, & that goes double for Gio.  That's 2 weeks in a row I've thought there was 150+ rushing there for the taking but that's not Hue's offense.  Instead we get redzone Swan Lake.  I've always heard "run at the blitz" but FFS adjust to it somehow, shotgun & Burkhead/Hewitt protecting, something.  "It doesn't matter what the playcall is" ?! Says Hue.

The announcers are shills. At least they didn't top it off by having Carey or whoever make excuses for the refs the whole game. Like the refs, don't expect that to change anytime soon.  NFL is teflon right now.

3rd Down call:  Can't agree.  It's a good risk until the end of the game.  As banged up as the D was they did not need to give Palmer any time.  I don't think it's a lot to ask of a QB to understand game situation.  Dalton will learn from the mistake.  BTW...his deep balls have been high and short for a couple weeks now.  Throwing off his back foot a lot of the time.  He needs to clean that up.

Officiating:  The final call shocked me, but maybe Peko did it.  He would say he didn't even if he did.  The problem I had with the officiating is that it had too much influence on the game.  It wasn't lopsided IMO, just calling anything that even had a vision of PI.  

Hill:  He is supposed to be a pro.  Act like one.  I think Hill's reaction was worse than Pacman's.  He pushed the guys head.  He didn't slam it.  They guy had it coming anyway and what Jones did added to the intimidation factor.  Hill wasn't intimidating anyone throwing the football.  He was allowing them to get into his head.  His endzone fit was bush as well.  He needs to calm the F down and play football.   

Announcers:  I ignore those SOBs.  Could have been worse.  Could have been Joe Buck and Troy Aikman.

haha of course ,that's the Marvin'est thign to do

Which is probably why they didn't see the error before hand in throwing a pass on 3rd and 2.   They probably saw the time and knew they had a FG and by default would at worse take their chances in OT.

In their minds.   With a covered Kick Off there's nothing that can be done with a minute left.

Anytime A.J. is one on one with a backup corner - or anyone else not among the top 10 corners in the league - he's "open".  I agree with your statement that you go for it on 2 & 2, but I've come to grips with the call.  If Bernard had plowed into the line for no gain on 3rd and short, we'd be tripping about the coaches having no faith in Dalton and playing it too conservative.  The flip side of this thing is that the Cardinals threw an incompletion on first down on the drive before that with about 3:30 left, saving the Bengals a timeout.  The outcome of the game made that a moot point.   

Gio was unstoppable last night.  As that play unfolded, I literally screamed at the TV, "Nooooooo!"  After the fact, though, it's easy to understand why, when Dalton saw the blitz and realized A.J. was one on one, he made the decision that he did.  We're making more of this than it is.  Losing this game meant blame had to be put somewhere.  Reset this thing and imagine Gio getting stuffed on 3rd down, going to overtime and giving up a touchdown in OT to lose.  You know as well as I do that there would be critics saying that Dalton had the match up he wanted on 3rd down, but "played it safe", costing the Bengals a chance to win the game.    

The bottom line is this...  The Bengals lost a thriller on the road to one of the best teams in the league.  It's gonna be alright.  

Anytime A.J. is one on one with a backup corner - or anyone else not among the top 10 corners in the league - he's "open".  I agree with your statement that you go for it on 2 & 2, but I've come to grips with the call.  If Bernard had plowed into the line for no gain on 3rd and short, we'd be tripping about the coaches having no faith in Dalton and playing it too conservative.  

Cardinals would have had 20 seconds to try for the win instead of a minute. That's the difference.

The Ugly... This may be the Ugliest week in Bengals history.

that may be a stretch. Did you not see some of the lost decade? I was pleased with the game all but the third quarter.

The 3rd down was questionable and the prevent defense on the winning drive Carson led. 

They shook the debacle off and came back in fourth and made it a game. Hard one to lose, but I can accept it better than the Houston game. 

I like what we have done in the 4th Quarter of games this year.

The problem is we have had too many bad 3rd quarters. Coming out of the gates in the 2nd half flat has been a theme since Marvin has been here. It's frustrating.

This just isn't true.  Fredtoast made a post (I'm a poet...) showing just the opposite.  Bengals outscore their opponent a large majority of the time in the 2nd half.  Just look at the games this year for further evidence.  Let's blame Marvin when he actually deserves it. 

AJ was very open.  Had the ball been thrown 5 yds further, leading AJ, that's a TD, easy.  He had his man toasted.  Simply a bad throw.  Even Dalton himself, who never accepts blame and is defensive usually, acknowledged he should have thrown it further. 

This just isn't true.  Fredtoast made a post (I'm a poet...) showing just the opposite.  Bengals outscore their opponent a large majority of the time in the 2nd half.  Just look at the games this year for further evidence.  Let's blame Marvin when he actually deserves it. 

What he said (and what I said last night that was also disputed) was that the Bengals do not play well in the third quarter.  It generally takes until the fourth quarter before we figure out the other team's halftime adjustments, while our halftime adjustments (assuming we even have any) are easily countered by the other team.

As proof, I went back to the box scores of every game this year and looked at the points scored by each team in the third quarter.   For a team with an 8 - 2 record, you would expect us to be outscoring teams in every quarter, but the facts agree with what we've been saying--THE BENGALS GENERALLY SUCK IN THE THIRD QUARTER:

WeekTeamBengalsOpponent
1Oakland100
2San Diego37
3Baltimore07
4Kansas City143
5Seattle014
6Buffalo140
7BYE  
8Pissburgh03
9Cleveland30
10Houston00
11Arizona021
 TOTALS4455

Hill:  He is supposed to be a pro.  Act like one.  I think Hill's reaction was worse than Pacman's.  He pushed the guys head.  He didn't slam it.  They guy had it coming anyway and what Jones did added to the intimidation factor.  Hill wasn't intimidating anyone throwing the football.  He was allowing them to get into his head.  His endzone fit was bush as well.  He needs to calm the F down and play football.  

Couldn't agree more and further more, if he's that fuckin stupid not to see how he hurts as much as helps, bench him. I was pissed with that stupid penalty when we were trying to get in a groove, then he does it again? I'd feature Gino more since he keeps his wits about him. Maybe Hill doesn't have any wits, IDK, but I'm getting sick of his act, it doesn't fit with what this team is trying to do.

Anytime A.J. is one on one with a backup corner - or anyone else not among the top 10 corners in the league - he's "open".  I agree with your statement that you go for it on 2 & 2, but I've come to grips with the call.  If Bernard had plowed into the line for no gain on 3rd and short, we'd be tripping about the coaches having no faith in Dalton and playing it too conservative.  The flip side of this thing is that the Cardinals threw an incompletion on first down on the drive before that with about 3:30 left, saving the Bengals a timeout.  The outcome of the game made that a moot point.   

Gio was unstoppable last night.  As that play unfolded, I literally screamed at the TV, "Nooooooo!"  After the fact, though, it's easy to understand why, when Dalton saw the blitz and realized A.J. was one on one, he made the decision that he did.  We're making more of this than it is.  Losing this game meant blame had to be put somewhere.  Reset this thing and imagine Gio getting stuffed on 3rd down, going to overtime and giving up a touchdown in OT to lose.  You know as well as I do that there would be critics saying that Dalton had the match up he wanted on 3rd down, but "played it safe", costing the Bengals a chance to win the game.    

The bottom line is this...  The Bengals lost a thriller on the road to one of the best teams in the league.  It's gonna be alright.  

Jeeze BA, Hue has you convinced huh?

Yeah good to take that shot in a game when you have time to recover from it, not so good when the game is on the line. No way they should pass there in that situation, no matter what you see in the matchup you like. Hue covers Andy's ass which is good, but remember Gio was hot at that point too, in fact hotter than Green/Dalton IMO.

Really we are not making more of it than we should, could have one it and that game may have been big...we'll see.

As other guys have said, showing up and making it close ain't the way winners look at a loss.

THE GOOD

Dennard got lots of time. He should get better with every game.

Two early interceptions

Tate didnt muff or fumble.

Dalton hitting guys right on the numbers.

Battling back from a two touchdown deficit. 

THE BAD

Dropped passes.

Missed opportunites. 

THE UGLY

Penalties

Hill losing his cool on the first drive. That personal foul penalty completely changed the game. That took them from third and managable to 3rd and 24. They would have taken that drive for at least a FG .....It couldve been a whole different game. 

Sanu taking snaps.

The wacky formations on offense look like a big waste of time. Are the Patriots, Packers, Panthers, or Broncos running these formations? 

Said as much in the gameday thread but a huge relief to see Burlap out there hitting people with no ill effects.  Hopefully he'll continue to play smart & protect himself.  Thrilled to have been wrong about that one.

You know bro, maybe something special really is happening here. Things like Andy getting called out by JJ and Tyler having uncharacteristic dropsies. Maybe just maybe this is what will be talked about when Bengals become world champions. If we get over the hump and win that first playoff game. I don't believe there's a team in the league that will stop us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived