Marvin Lewis: Penalty on Domata Peko “kind of ridiculous”

Marvin Lewis: Penalty on Domata Peko “kind of ridiculous”

during the NFL game at the University of Phoenix Stadium on November 22, 2015 in Glendale, Arizona.Getty Images

As the clock wound down in the fourth quarter of Sunday night’s game, the Cardinals were trying to spike the ball to stop the clock and set up a 47-yard field goal to win the game when guard Ted Larsenstood up ahead of the snap amid a flurry of flags.

If it was a false start, there would be a 10-second runoff that sent the game to overtime. The call was not on the Cardinals, however. It was an unsportsmanlike conduct call on Bengals defensive tackle Domata Peko for simulating offensive signals, which meant Chandler Catanzaro was 15 yards closer when he nailed the game-winner.

After the game, Peko said that he was yelling to his teammates to “get set” and wondered if “the bass in my voice” made it sound like he was trying to mimic Carson Palmer’s snap count. Bengals coach Marvin Lewis called the penalty on Peko a “phantom call” and “kind of ridiculous.”

“I trust what our player did and said,” Lewis said, via ESPN.com. “He’s alerting a run and not anything to do with what they’re saying. I don’t see how they make that call at that point in the game like that. I trust our guy to be honest with me.”

Palmer said it was “real obvious” that Peko was trying to simulate the snap count, but Larsen was well aware of how close it was to going the other way. He said “[expletive] yes” when asked if he was worried that he had committed a false start.

“I guess they are familiar with Carson’s snap count, and they timed it up right,” Larsen said, via the team’s website. “It’s really a situation where you want to err on the side of not [false starting]. That could have easily been a 10-second runoff.”

It wasn’t and the Cardinals got to celebrate a second straight close win on Sunday night.

profootballtalk.com

So why didn't Peko or Marvin make an issue of it with the refs when it happened?  I did not notice if they did.  No one looked like they had a clue what was going on, the call or who the call was made on.

Peko saying "get set" could be confused with the snap count, perhaps, but even if the Cardinal was confusing it with Carson's count, he jumped up on the wrong "set" in the cadence...  no one else on their line did so apparently he jumped on the wrong count no matter who made it.   If any of that makes any sense. Cardinal jumped on the wrong count in the cadence no matter who made it.  False start... ten seconds off the clock... overtime.

It may not be unique, but it's the routine manner in which it occurs that's disgusting.

eh, they have gotten plenty of calls their way this season.  Trouble is, as fans, we tend to only remember the bad ones.  It happens to all teams at every level.  The Ravens being the latest just last week.  If there were ever a time in sports, for those in power, to go back and change the game, it was that game.  Ridiculous how they lost.  Obviously not a fan of the Ravens, just saying, it happens everywhere.  

So why didn't Peko or Marvin make an issue of it with the refs when it happened?  I did not notice if they did.  No one looked like they had a clue what was going on, the call or who the call was made on.

Peko saying "get set" could be confused with the snap count, perhaps, but even if the Cardinal was confusing it with Carson's count, he jumped up on the wrong "set" in the cadence...  no one else on their line did so apparently he jumped on the wrong count no matter who made it.   If any of that makes any sense. Cardinal jumped on the wrong count in the cadence no matter who made it.  False start... ten seconds off the clock... overtime.

It doesn't make sense for a DT to be saying get set, the defense doesn't have to be set. That looked clear as day he was simulating the snap. I've seen plenty of douches do that in football, I hate that bush league stuff. The ref was right behind him, he got busted.

Dumbass.

It may not be unique, but it's the routine manner in which it occurs that's disgusting.

The NFL has gotten into this mindset of trying to perfect imperfection and also dictate style of play with it's rule book.

There's no solution on earth that's going to improve officiating and also keep the games watchable. 

In this case the ref is not accountable after the game so we have no idea what he heard and why he threw the flag.    Unless the Cardinals registered a complaint earlier in the game and a warning was given a flag should not been thrown.   Note: this is the common sense view not the view of the official NFL rule book.

Fans get on these refs when mistakes are made.  There are plenty mistakes  to choose from each week but the reality is the speed of the game and they technical variations of a 1,000 rules make it impossible unless you want 10 hour games. 

A call like that and many others shouldn't be on the table for the ref to make unless they've issued a warning.   Now your asking JoBob to be an expert in pre snaps QB voice inflection.    Stupid, IMO. 

That was a horse shit call period. Shit like this really takes the enjoyment of the game away. I can't wait until we get to the playoffs and get hosed so the squawking heads can drone on about a 5th straight playoff loss. The only real question is which large market team gets to hold our defensive line all game before a phantom cll at a crucial moment.    

It doesn't make sense for a DT to be saying get set, the defense doesn't have to be set. That looked clear as day he was simulating the snap. I've seen plenty of douches do that in football, I hate that bush league stuff. The ref was right behind him, he got busted.

Dumbass.

Very good and I can see what you're saying and buy it.  I just had a mental image in my little pea brain of Flounder in Animal House all giddy saying "get set" rather than "oh, boy" when they decided to go on the road trip to the Dexter Lake Club to see Otis, my man.  And before he found out they were taking his brother's Lincoln.

But, yeah, douche and dumbass pretty much sum up Peko.  Someone on the Cardinals probably tipped the refs that Peko was doing it.

What a dumbass douche.  Next year this time he will be humping furniture for Two Men and a Truck.  Too bad it isn't next week.

The NFL has gotten into this mindset of trying to perfect imperfection and also dictate style of play with it's rule book.

There's no solution on earth that's going to improve officiating and also keep the games watchable. 

In this case the ref is not accountable after the game so we have no idea what he heard and why he threw the flag.    Unless the Cardinals registered a complaint earlier in the game and a warning was given a flag should not been thrown.   Note: this is the common sense view not the view of the official NFL rule book.

Fans get on these refs when mistakes are made.  There are plenty mistakes  to choose from each week but the reality is the speed of the game and they technical variations of a 1,000 rules make it impossible unless you want 10 hour games. 

A call like that and many others shouldn't be on the table for the ref to make unless they've issued a warning.   Now your asking JoBob to be an expert in pre snaps QB voice inflection.    Stupid, IMO. 

WTF, do you want Peko to get a yellow  card or something? He's a dumbass, everyone knows the rules, he was an idiot trying to cheat and he got busted. 

I hate him more than Dalton kinda.

Dumbass.

Marvin and Peko are part of our family. They wouldn't lie.

WTF, do you want Peko to get a yellow  card or something? He's a dumbass, everyone knows the rules, he was an idiot trying to cheat and he got busted. 

I hate him more than Dalton kinda.

I think the Cardinal Guard that jumped should get a fucking hearing test.   Can't tell the difference between surfer boy Palmer and Samoan Beast Peko?

Peko said "Get Set"   not "Whoa dude Get Set man"

Ref shouldn't be bailing out that inept asshole. 

As I said in another thread: if one has ever played the game, you know the chatter and noise that goes on along the lines. Non-stop chatter. You listen to the voice of your QB for a cadence. If you fart anticipating something or thinking you heard something, it is your own damn inattention.

Piss on the goofy-assed NFL and their more-than-goofy-assed-rules.  

As I said in another thread: if one has ever played the game, you know the chatter and noise that goes on along the lines. Non-stop chatter. You listen to the voice of your QB for a cadence. If you fart anticipating something or thinking you heard something, it is your own damn inattention.

Piss on the goofy-assed NFL and their more-than-goofy-assed-rules.  

Chatter is different than simulating snap count. Of course there is shit talking and stuff, but that sudden barking "hike" is JV. Peko  tried to cheat and he got busted.

Marvin should be less worried about phantom calls and more concerned with his 2nd half phantom defense.

Marvin can comment on unfair and bad calls that cost his team.    The refs did suck on both sides.   You can be mad at Marvin and call it like it is just the same.

Chatter is different than simulating snap count. Of course there is shit talking and stuff, but that sudden barking "hike" is JV. Peko  tried to cheat and he got busted.

Real men don't false start when the QB is going to spike the ball.     The ref bailed them out and robbed our team of a chance of victory in overtime.

I've always been of the opinion that refs shouldn't assert themselves into the truly decisive parts of the game. I can't, for the life of me, remember EVER seeing this penalty called. It seems to me like there is an element of subjectivity involved in determining when to make a call like this. All that said, that referee better be goddamned sure he heard exactly what he claims he heard. Because at that point, if you aren't 100% sure, the correct answer is to let the game proceed to overtime where a more deserved outcome can be achieved.

Real men don't false start when the QB is going to spike the ball.     The ref bailed them out and robbed our team of a chance of victory in overtime.

real men aren't quitter pussies who decide to stop playing hard and resort to cheating like Peko

I've always been of the opinion that refs shouldn't assert themselves into the truly decisive parts of the game. I can't, for the life of me, remember EVER seeing this penalty called. It seems to me like there is an element of subjectivity involved in determining when to make a call like this. All that said, that referee better be goddamned sure he heard exactly what he claims he heard. Because at that point, if you aren't 100% sure, the correct answer is to let the game proceed to overtime where a more deserved outcome can be achieved.

I guarantee this was called because dumbass was doing it at key moments throughout the game. Guess what, the warning is meaningless if he doesn't do it.

I guarantee this was called because dumbass was doing it at key moments throughout the game. Guess what, the warning is meaningless if he doesn't do it.

Meh, you have no better an idea as to what transpired than anyone else. It's a real obscure call at a really terrible moment, that much we do know.

Archived