Ravens vs Current Browns

Tonight's MNF game between Al Lerner's old team and Al Lerner's new team promises to be a snoozefest with zero playoff implications.  But one of them has to win, and I think we want that winner to be Baltimore.

Here's why:

#1 - One of Cleveland's two wins this year was against the Ravens.  With a second, Cleveland would be 3-8, but with their sweep they would push 3-8 Baltimore into last place.  If the Ravens finish in last, they'll get an easier schedule next year than the current Browns.  We know that regardless of the schedule Cleveland gets they'll suck, but give the Ravens an advantage and they're more likely to exploit it and be better able to contend next year.  A Raven loss helps to give them the easier schedule, so we want the Ravens to win.

#2 - Every loss means a better draft pick.  Cleveland has already shown that regardless of the good picks they get, they'll still find a way to implode.  So it doesn't matter where they pick, they'll blow it.  On the other hand, the Ravens have traditionally done very well with their picks.  Sure, the last couple of years they've had mediocre drafts, but if you look at the entire body of work, the Ravens have done good things with the picks they've been given.  A Raven loss gives them the better picks, so we want the Ravens to win.

#3 - When the end of this season rolls around, if the Bengals end up in a tie-breaking situation with anyone, having beaten both Cleveland and Baltimore helps us gain an advantage over any team that has LOST to either of them.  The advantage grows for us over the specific set of teams that has lost to the WINNER of tonight's game.  Cleveland has beaten Tennessee (2-9) and Baltimore (3-7).  We know that there's no way TEN can get to 9 wins, and unless we lose out we are assured of finishing with fewer than BAL's 7 losses.  Since it is unlikely that we would be in a tiebreak against either of these teams, a Cleveland win does not improve our position.  Baltimore has beaten St Louis (NFC, don't care), San Diego (3-8, don't care), and Pittsburgh (6-5).  A Baltimore win strengthens our SoV tiebreaker over one specific team that we care about - Pittsburgh, while a Baltimore loss weakens our relative SoV, helping Pittsburgh.  So we want the Ravens to win.

Like I said, one of them has to win.  A Ravens win hurts Baltimore (next season) and Pittsburgh (this season), whereas a Cleveland win helps Baltimore (next season) and Pittsburgh (this season).  To me it seems simple.

Go Ravens.  (bleh)

"On November 6, 1995, with the team sitting at 4–5, Modell announced in a press conference at Camden Yards that he had signed a deal to relocate the Browns to BaltimoreMaryland in 1996"

Same month as "The Move", post 20 years. I wonder if this wasn't in the TV schedulers' minds when they were putting together the prime time games for this year.

But yeah, go Rats.  

Archived