Router or Modem Issue

JC

Hola.  So this has happened twice this week, otherwise, I've had to powercycle my modem and router once in two years.  My internet has been in and out.  My computer will connect to my wireless router, but will take me to my medialink homepage which prompts me to enter the password and after hitting apply, just reloads the same page over and over.  Internet connection on the phone completes to a complete halt, which makes me revert back to LTE.  I can usually tell when this is going to happen because it takes over a minute to load a page, which makes me powercycle and then the issue hits. 

First time it happened, I left both unplugged all night.  Plugged them in, in the morning and it worked again.  I thought maybe an issue with the internet connection.  Happened again last night, left the router unplugged all night and not the modem.  Woke up and plugged it in this morning, it still wouldn't work.  Powercycled the modem as well and now its working fine.  I have a new router on order from Amazon, but if its a modem issue, I want to cancel the router purchase and get rid of this shitty TWC modem and get my own.  Can anyone shed any possible light?

ETA:  I just got a new soundbar that wirelessly connects to a sub.  After I hooked this up, this is when the issue started.  The sub and router/modem sit right next to each other.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

On what channel and at what frequency does the sound bar broadcast? If you can find that in the manual or online, log in to the router and see if they match. If they do, good chance that is your problem. Even if you can't find that out, log into your router and change the channel (they usually have a range of 1-12 depending on the model) and change the frequency from 2.4 to 5 or vice verse. Cordless phones can cause interference as well. 

On what channel and at what frequency does the sound bar broadcast? If you can find that in the manual or online, log in to the router and see if they match. If they do, good chance that is your problem. Even if you can't find that out, log into your router and change the channel (they usually have a range of 1-12 depending on the model) and change the frequency from 2.4 to 5 or vice verse. Cordless phones can cause interference as well. 

I kind of feel like that may be the root issue since I've never had any other issues, but wasn't sure if the router was just shot from running 24/7 for two years.  I changed the frequency on the router and I'll see if any issues arrive.  I've got some things to take care of for my masters program, but I'll look up the soundbar frequency at some point this week. Guess I'll just have the router delivered since I have free return until the end of January. As always, I appreciate your knowledge.  

Any time. And if you want to throw the model of your soundbar here I can look up the specs. And you can generally get around 5 years of solid use out of a router these days, so I don't know that would be the issue. You should also check the router manufacturer site and see if there are any firmware updates, if for no other reason than there are some security holes that need plugged. 

It is a Vizio S4251w-B4.  I did a quick search and can't find anything on the broadcast frequency.  I know its hooked up to my television through an optic cable.  I'll check on the firmware ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI, I had a minor issue about a day or two after, but since it's been fine.  I think the signals were just mixing.  Once again, I thank you.  You save me a lot of google time and headaches.

Archived