Bengals thought NFL would issue warning to Vince Williams for Burfict threat

Bengals thought NFL would issue warning to Vince Williams for Burfict threat

Vince Williams, Ryan ShazierAP

The actions that preceded Sunday’s Stealers-Bengals game were sparked by the inaction of the league office regarding the threat made by Pittsburgh linebacker Vince Williams against Cincinnati linebacker Vontaze Burfict.

So why didn’t the league take action against Williams for threatening, essentially, to kill Burfict?

At this point, no one knows. The NFL has not responded to emails from PFT regarding both the fight and the decision not to discipline Williams.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Bengals believed that the NFL at a minimum would issue a warning to Williams. Ultimately, nothing happened. Which made Burfict upset and caused him to take matters into his own hands on Sunday.

The intersection between discipline and P.R. continues to be the likely explanation for the league’s decision to do nothing. By looking the other way, the NFL kept what was a non-story (on the national level) from becoming a much bigger deal.

Indeed, if the NFL had issued a formal warning to an NFL player for making a death threat against another NFL player, the headlines in mainstream news outlets would have been blaring, and the morning shows and evening news broadcasts would have been devoting real estate to it.

It’s hardly the first time the NFL or any other P.R.-sensitive organization opted to ignore a problem that had yet to be flagged by the world at large in order to keep that problem from becoming a much bigger problem. The NFL now  faces a separate problem: How does it address the Stealers-Bengals fight without belatedly addressing the threats made against Burfict?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/14/bengals-thought-nfl-would-issue-warning-to-vince-williams-for-burfict-threat/

The intersection between discipline and P.R. continues to be the likely explanation for the league’s decision to do nothing. By looking the other way, the NFL kept what was a non-story (on the national level) from becoming a much bigger deal.

I'm one that thought a much bigger deal was made of it than should have been and that it was just trash talking that got a bit our of hand and that Taz needs to learn not to respond.

Although I could also see the reasoning for at least issuing a warning.

But if this is their reason it's a BS reason.

the fine list will be interesting this week.      No one has focused on Gilberry vs. DeCastro under the pile, yet.     IMO, that is the worst thing that happened yesterday.     Both dudes around each others face like that could have been some career ending life changing injuries.

That Orlando Brown dude took a ref's flag to the eye and couldn't play again.

the fine list will be interesting this week.      No one has focused on Gilberry vs. DeCastro under the pile, yet.     IMO, that is the worst thing that happened yesterday.     Both dudes around each others face like that could have been some career ending life changing injuries.

That Orlando Brown dude took a ref's flag to the eye and couldn't play again.

Yeah I expect they both get fined, as well as Dre and Brown, and likely even Taz and Williams.

IF the Stealers somehow wiggle into the 6 seed and we drop to the 3rd, the NFL better send out a serious warning with potential suspensions/fines and team penalties if it gets bad.

Ok maybe I'm old school but said he was going to do something to him when he seen him.  I have no problem if Tez had just walked up to him and punched his lights out.  If someone said that about me next time I saw them I would take the first shot, better to be first then dead.  I take these things serious.

Ignore it to avoid national attention and now it has national attention. The NFL just can't win. SMH.

Ignoring it worked out so perfectly for them on the domestic violence issue.  Gun violence is at the forefront of the political spotlight, you'd think they'd want to crush all possibilities of being tied to the wrong end of it.

Whit calling out Roger Goodell for the league's inaction on the Williams death threat:

Linky: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cincinnati-bengals-pittsburgh-Stealers-fight-andrew-whitworth-blames-roger-goodell-121415

Bengals lineman blames the Stealers fight on Roger Goodell and NFL

Cincinnati's Andrew Whitworth says this is what happens when you let death threats slide

By Teddy Mitrosilis
Dec 14, 2015 at 2:30p ET

The Cincinnati Bengals and Pittsburgh Stealers are feuding, and there's no sign of it slowing down.

On Sunday, the two teams got into a pregame scuffle that really began when they first played each other on Nov. 1. In that game, Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict tackled Stealers running back Le'Veon Bell and got up to celebrate the hit, which left Bell with a season-ending knee injury (Burfict didn't know in the moment that Bell would miss the rest of the season, of course). After the game, Stealers linebacker Vince Williams sent out some since-deleted tweets that threatened physical violence if he saw Burfict in the streets.

Then prior to Sunday's game, Adam 'Pacman' Jones posted a video on Instagram saying, "I guess Pittsburgh got all gangsters ... Mike Tomlin need to tell his team to shut the f--- up and play." So all of that was bubbling when Burfict, Williams and the two teams took the field on Sunday for pregame warmups. Of course there was going to be a confrontation between the division rivals. The teams pushed and shoved at midfield, the Stealers ended up winning the game and then Pittsburgh lineman Marcus Gilbert shot back at Pacman afterwards, saying among other things, "All I want for Christmas is the Bengals."

All of that made for entertaining drama, but they weren't the most interesting or noteworthy comments. Those came from the more level-headed Andrew Whitworth, who blamed the whole ordeal on -- surprise, surprise -- Roger Goodell and the NFL.

"I'll get in trouble for this, but this is the NFL's fault," Whitworth, a Cincinatti lineman, said. "The bottom line is, I love the Pittsburgh Stealers, I love Mike Tomlin, but they had a player that made a death threat to one of ours after the last game about spilling his blood in the streets, and everyone saw it, and the NFL did nothing about it. And so they allowed there to be that kind of animosity and that kind of thing around."

Whitworth continued: "How people react to hits, that's happened throughout the league since the game began. How Vontaze reacted to Le'Veon Bell getting hurt, it happens in the game. He had no clue he was that hurt. It could be a sprain. It could be anything else.

"But when you allow guys to talk about barbaric things off the football field, and in this day and age of our country? And you allow guys to talk about things like that, it's on Roger Goodell and the NFL. They should have done something. They should have stepped up. They should have made sure that players know that kind of attitude and that kind of character is not involved in the league. That's their fault. It's on their head."

Whit calling out Roger Goodell for the league's inaction on the Williams death threat:

Linky: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cincinnati-bengals-pittsburgh-Stealers-fight-andrew-whitworth-blames-roger-goodell-121415

Good for Whit. If somebody called me out to kill me behind a keyboard, I'd probably confront them in front of witnesses too.

As non-Dalton sidenote, Marvin Lewis said after yesterday's feisty game full of extra-curriculars he talked to Mike Tomlin today.

Lewis said talks to opposing coach after "occasionally. Neither wanted any of it. "He's addressed it and I know we've addressed it."

Archived