The Force Awakens Discussion Thread - spoilers allowed

Jason

Ive been folllowing these guys for a few months now and they mention the idea of Rey being a Palpatine. 

Not sure I like the idea though, Fin already turned from being a bad guy to the good, not sure if you can do that with more than one character and still have a good story.

I felt like I had seen that movie before.  They mirrored the original series a LOT.

And what is Hetty Lange doing in a Star Wars movie???? :lol:

So are Finn and Rey related to any of the earlier characters???

I think Rey is gonna end up Luke's kid. 

I dont think Finn is anyone we know's kid, from what I have been able to tell the Empire, now the first order, no longer recruits they simply take kids from their parents and raise them in the first order. I mean Finn doesnt even know his real name. 

Now I think that woulds make for a great anthology movie to go off and have Finn find out about his past. But I dont know that its going to be something that is in these movies.... I could be wrong though.

Ive been folllowing these guys for a few months now and they mention the idea of Rey being a Palpatine. 

Not sure I like the idea though, Fin already turned from being a bad guy to the good, not sure if you can do that with more than one character and still have a good story.

ha, I was watching the same video when I posted.

I don't think Rey being the descendent of a bad guy would be the same as Finn's turn. We don't even ever see Finn do anything bad.

That's funny. I watch their Jedi Council and Movie Talk weekly for a few months now.

I've been watching Movie Talk since June or so.  It's touchy for me.  I'm not a big Christian Harloff fan, though he's grown on me some.  I can't stand John Schnepp.  I like John Campea, but he's wearing on me.  He's a bit pompous and likes to trash everything.

I wish they could clone Mark Ellis and just have 3 of him talk about movies for an hour a day.  Or bring in Clarke Wolfe full time.

You've been watching longer than me then. I like Harloff, especially on Jedi Council as he reads all the new cannon and does a segment on what is good and what isnt. I bought Aftermath on Audible because they said it was going to tie into this movie some and while I havent finished it yet, Harloff said it wasnt that good and he is very right, its disappointing, I will likely use his opinions on the books going forward to know what to read and what to stay away from. I like all the guys really but could take or leave Schnepp but he is more of a comic guy who does a segment on the comic movies that have been coming out, and I really havent watched that. I like Ellis as well but he does get a bit excitable at times. LOL. Campea I like mostly sometimes he can come off as a know it all douche but I dont think he means to, so I let things slide with him.

A lot of speculation about Finn being Mace Windu's son, but I thought Jedi are really not supposed to have kids. Remember all the warnings by Obi Wan when Anakin was having his secret relationship with Amidala. Aren't kids and love relationships considered a danger to pull you to the dark side if something bad happens. That's also why there weren't many Jedi. And Windu was a fairly strict Jedi. My money is that Finn is related to Lando Charissian. And I can see Rey being a Sith descendent , possibly even Palpatines kid, but I bet she is actually related to count dorky. And in the book, there were actually 2 Solo kids, so I'm pondering if that is another possibility. I have my doubts she is a skywalker. I am not sure if Luke could and ever would have been able to keep her a secret from Kylo. Unless Kylo turned to the dark side over jealousy with Luke having a kid. But then, he would probably have known who Rey is fairly quickly and killed her off or used her as ransom to find Luke. That why I think, like many others, she is descendant of one of the Sith Darths.

I watched it last night. 

I too think Rey is Luke's daughter. That little alien woman with the glasses said  Luke's light saber was

calling for her and it belonged to her. I don't know, all arrows seem to point to that imo.

I  also think if Finn is related to any known character that it would be Lando Calrissian.

I really enjoyed it overall. It didn't drag and kept me interested through out. And my kids loved it like I did the first 3.

I'm glad they went back to their roots. Two thumbs up from me. 

Looking forward to the next episode. 

Some great thoughts in here. I am absolutely amazed that I didn't find out Han died before he died. I agree with most of you. The movie was very good, probably my favorite in a very long time, however I had some problems with it. These movies to me are so much better then anything in the superhero universe that keeps getting put out and at times they don't act like it. 

1. Character buildup. We didn't really have much depth to characters with the exception of Rey. Which I thought was excellent.

2. Fin's story seemed unbelievable to me. It could be that I am just overall confused about things because I thought all storm troopers were clones? Didn't we just spend 3 movies explaining that? Now they are kids stolen from their homes? He marches different the entire time, he doesn't seem to have the conditioning at all. I would have liked to see more struggle and his training and conditioning could have shown him as more of a threat. It wasn't believable that he went through all this training. He seemed like a goofy fighter etc. 

3. When they go to blow up the laser, they meet the girl leader in the mask. and......She just takes down the shields? Huh? No real fight or anything. Just ok I will take them down. That part was dumb

4. I love the idea of her just grabbing the saber and then the earthquake happening. 

5. I would have ended on them having no hope and then all of a sudden R2 turning on. To me that was better then the slow methodical journey. 

6. It was too jokey at times for me. This isn't guardians of the galaxy. Make it more serious please. 

7. Too many things just happened without them really being believable. They see Rey across the way then just show up where she is going. They Fighters blow up the plane they are getting into but not the Falcon. The Falcon is in perfect working order but not being used. Han and Chewy just happen to end up right there and get them. They don't turn the toxic gasses on at all or use them but go through the entire process of talking about it. 

8. I would be very interested if people are freaked out that the lead characters are black and a woman. To me I think it's great, but I know there is a portion of society that probably freaked out. 

9. I did not like the size of the main bad guy, I hope hes not really that big. 

10. I found the leader of the first order to be unbelievable and over the top. He and Kylo seemed like two kids whining to eachother. How would they be leaders? People have said Kylo wasn't fully trained but I feel like he started out by doing things that I had not seen anyone do prior. I can't remember what though. 

10. I didn't like that it was essentially the plot of A new hope. almost exactly. 

My favorite scene above all was the X wings over the water. I literally nearly cried. Not joking. I know that's lame but I was like this is incredible. 

The little lady was a great character I agree. 

Chewie was fantastic. 

Some great thoughts in here. I am absolutely amazed that I didn't find out Han died before he died. I agree with most of you. The movie was very good, probably my favorite in a very long time, however I had some problems with it. These movies to me are so much better then anything in the superhero universe that keeps getting put out and at times they don't act like it. 

1. Character buildup. We didn't really have much depth to characters with the exception of Rey. Which I thought was excellent.

I agree on some of that, but I thought Rey, Finn and BB8 were handled well, I wish Poe was developed a bit more and a bit more deep as a charcther.

2. Fin's story seemed unbelievable to me. It could be that I am just overall confused about things because I thought all storm troopers were clones? Didn't we just spend 3 movies explaining that? Now they are kids stolen from their homes? He marches different the entire time, he doesn't seem to have the conditioning at all. I would have liked to see more struggle and his training and conditioning could have shown him as more of a threat. It wasn't believable that he went through all this training. He seemed like a goofy fighter etc. 

The clone wars of the prequils they were clones, that stopped after that war and they were just normal people after that.

3. When they go to blow up the laser, they meet the girl leader in the mask. and......She just takes down the shields? Huh? No real fight or anything. Just ok I will take them down. That part was dumb

I've heard this twice now, but I disagree, she had to know who Han and Chewey were and the fact they had Chewey's bowcaster pointed on her I would think she would back down for fear of her life.

4. I love the idea of her just grabbing the saber and then the earthquake happening. 

5. I would have ended on them having no hope and then all of a sudden R2 turning on. To me that was better then the slow methodical journey. 

I loved the way it ended because it makes you want to know whats happens next, does Luke recognize her?

6. It was too jokey at times for me. This isn't guardians of the galaxy. Make it more serious please. 

Maybe more jokes than normal but SW has always had a sense of humor, most of it coming from Han

7. Too many things just happened without them really being believable. They see Rey across the way then just show up where she is going. They Fighters blow up the plane they are getting into but not the Falcon. The Falcon is in perfect working order but not being used. Han and Chewy just happen to end up right there and get them. They don't turn the toxic gasses on at all or use them but go through the entire process of talking about it. 

8. I would be very interested if people are freaked out that the lead characters are black and a woman. To me I think it's great, but I know there is a portion of society that probably freaked out. 

No freakouts because of a lead woman, but there were freakouts about a black storm trooper for sure. I wonder if the chemistry were seeing between Rey and Finn was put in after the freakouts as a way to say fuck you to the racists?

9. I did not like the size of the main bad guy, I hope hes not really that big. 

It was just a hologram, Ill be surprised if he turns out that big

10. I found the leader of the first order to be unbelievable and over the top. He and Kylo seemed like two kids whining to eachother. How would they be leaders? People have said Kylo wasn't fully trained but I feel like he started out by doing things that I had not seen anyone do prior. I can't remember what though. 

10. I didn't like that it was essentially the plot of A new hope. almost exactly. 

My favorite scene above all was the X wings over the water. I literally nearly cried. Not joking. I know that's lame but I was like this is incredible. 

The little lady was a great character I agree. 

Chewie was fantastic. 

just saw it again with my kids, a few more thoughts:

First, clearly no one is working today.  Our 10:45am showing was probably 80% sold out (biggest theater at the location) and the lobby was more packed than it was either Saturday morning or Friday night.

As for the movie, IMO was even better the 2nd time around.  It honestly may push to be my favorite of all 7 up there with Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith (yea I know I'm in the minority there).  Empire is the best from a quality standpoint, but this one is maybe the most fun, and (again IMO) Sith has arguably the best first 20 minutes, and the best final 30 minutes of any of the movies.

A couple minor things that still I wish they had done better on TFA:

- still wish they hold the Ren de-masking until his scene with Han, but I got a better sense of why they had him show his face to Rey this time around. 

- I still don't like these 3 things with how they handled Leia: 1) she says "there's still Light in him" rather than paralelling the original movies and saying "there's still GOOD in him".  2) When Chewy/Rey/Finn get back at the end, Chewy and Leia walk right past each other and don't even acknowledge each other after Han's death. That's not realistic at all.  and 3) I know why they didn't, but I still think Leia should have gone with Rey to meet Luke. 

- in the very opening shot, the star destroyer Kylo is on has a front shape same as his lightsaber (an antenna with hilts on each side).  Star Destroyers in the original trilogy just had the flat front to the ship.

Also while I think John Williams is a genius I didnt think there was really anything memorable about any of the new music. Even in the prequels the Duel Of Fates was amazing!!

paid attention to it 2nd time around, there's nothing new that stands out like Duel of Fates, but everything that's in there absolutely works.  3 that mildly stood out to me was the music in the very opening scene, and then both Kylo and Rey had their own themes, though neither were pushed very hard on you.

paid attention to it 2nd time around, there's nothing new that stands out like Duel of Fates, but everything that's in there absolutely works.  3 that mildly stood out to me was the music in the very opening scene, and then both Kylo and Rey had their own themes, though neither were pushed very hard on you.

I guess I wanted something more in your face for Ren and Snokes themes, maybe they will make it less subtle in 8

also, a part of me during the movie had the thought:

how cool would have it been if Domhall Gleason had turned out to play both Hux and Ren, and they were twins?  One grew up force sensitive, the other didn't and became a general in the First Order. Play up the sibling rivalry as the trilogy moves along.

I guess I wanted something more in your face for Ren and Snokes themes, maybe they will make it less subtle in 8

well outside of the official theme, there wasn't a lot in A New Hope. Mainly the main theme and then the ceremony theme.

If I recall correctly, Imperial March as Vader's theme didn't come along until Empire.

Archived