The Force Awakens Discussion Thread - spoilers allowed

Jason

saw a convincing argument that timeline wise, Leia and Han would have known Luke had a daughter, and wouldn't have completely ignored Rey had she really been Luke's daughter.  Granted neither Leia or Han ever see her use the force, but you gotta imagine its implied that they know what she did.

She was probably 8 when her "parents" dropped her off, and Ben Solo would have been already training with Luke, and Leia/Han would have had a relationship with a young Rey.

Further, that Rey had been trained as a child, and the force is re-"awakening" in her, so not that she's using the force for the first time, but its all coming back to her from her childhood training under Luke.

another thing I noted on 2nd viewing is that Leia says that she "sent Ben away, and that's when I lost him".

So, wherever Luke was training the new Jedi, it wasn't around Leia and Han, so its conceivable they would have never met a child of Luke's, though you'd think they'd still know if he had had a kid.

I read an interview with Abrams about why Ren had to kill Han, to establish him as a "worthy" villain to follow in DV's foot steps. But why do that then kill him a few minutes later?  

So is Ren not dead, or did they waste Han's death???

I read an interview with Abrams about why Ren had to kill Han, to establish him as a "worthy" villain to follow in DV's foot steps. But why do that then kill him a few minutes later?  

No, snoke tells Hux to go get him remember? It's assumed phasma gets out alive as well.

Anyone else wish it had been leia instead of Han?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And while I'm fine with this explanation, they should have had ren come off more evil afterward. I understand that killing his father was his last step in giving up the light, but they didn't show that. He wasn't any different emotionally after killing his dad than he was before hand IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watched Empire Strikes Back tonight.  Some thoughts:

- it's like a completely different actress playing Leia.  Not only does she obviously look different, but the level of acting was completely different.  Carrie Fisher has never been a great actress, but its clear that she's out of practice these days compared to what she was.  Her Leia, and this could be on purpose, in TFA was also a lot softer and less commanding than she was in the original trilogy.

- I noted earlier re: the music that the music at the beginning of TFA stood out to me as a strong portion from the movie.  Turns out, part of it (just 5 seconds or so) is lifted straight from the middle of Empire.

- The first time we see the emperor via hologram, he too is much larger than his actual size, so that makes it hopeful that Snoke won't actually be as big as he appeared to be.

- in TFA, the android in Maz Kanata's place that alerts the Resistance that BB-8 is there, is the exact same android that gives Luke his new hand at the end of Empire.  He's green in TFA instead of grey as in Empire, but otherwise he's exactly the same.

Finally, having watched both today, while Empire is the better movie with less flaws, I find The Force Awakens to be a much more fun movie to watch.  Now part of that is because Empire is meant to be dark in tone (then again the media is also calling TFA the darkest of the 7), but IMO there's a noticeable difference in "energy" in TFA compared to the other movies.  And perhaps that's just because its a new chapter meant to reinvigorate the fanbase.  I haven't watched A New Hope in awhile, but just from memory I imagine it comes off with a greater sense of "energy" than Empire as well.  If nothing else, because the "Empire Strikes Back" in this movie, its tough to be energetic when the movie is about the bad guys regaining the upper hand. It's also because of scenes like the Poe/Finn escape, and the Luke/Finn in the gunner seat position scenes during flight battles.  Empire has space battles, but its not really a battle, its about escape and survival.  You don't have a Luke/Finn in the gunner seat taking out Tie Fighters, you have Han/Leia/Chewy/Lando running for their lives.  Those scenes add a charisma and energy to Episodes 4/7 that Empire lacks (and again is probably intended to lack).

I hated Kylo Ren with his mask off. He looks and acts like an enormous pussy ("Pay attention to me, I'm so evil!!!"), and his general Hux buddy is just too young to be very convincing. I thought Moff Tarkin was far, far more menacing than Hux. The Nazi formation scene with the red flags and all that was pretty awesome though.

Snoke looks like a giant Smeagol (kept waiting for him to utter the word "precious") from LOTR.

I want to party with Carrie Fisher.

The silver stormtrooper bitch giving up the Death Star, I mean "Starkiller" shields so quickly was pretty lame.

Other than that, a really memorable and enjoyable movie. It's amazing to me how this franchise has spanned so many generations of people. I can't think of another movie series that's done that. My kids are seeing this for the first time around the same age as I was when my mom took me to the very first Star Wars movie in 1978. Awesome.

I hated Kylo Ren with his mask off. He looks and acts like an enormous pussy ("Pay attention to me, I'm so evil!!!"), and his general Hux buddy is just too young to be very convincing. I thought Moff Tarkin was far, far more menacing than Hux. The Nazi formation scene with the red flags and all that was pretty awesome though.

Snoke looks like a giant Smeagol (kept waiting for him to utter the word "precious") from LOTR.

I want to party with Carrie Fisher.

The silver stormtrooper bitch giving up the Death Star, I mean "Starkiller" shields so quickly was pretty lame.

Other than that, a really memorable and enjoyable movie. It's amazing to me how this franchise has spanned so many generations of people. I can't think of another movie series that's done that. My kids are seeing this for the first time around the same age as I was when my mom took me to the very first Star Wars movie in 1978. Awesome.

Agree with all this. 

If the novelization of The Force Awakens is to be believed, it seems the "I will finish what you started." reference by Ren to Vader is him killing Luke and finishing off the Jedi.  So I'd assume that will be his mission in Episodes 8 and 9.

http://collider.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-supreme-leader-snoke-theories-andy-serkis/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily 2015-12-22&utm_term=Collider

also curious some thoughts about Finn:  Are Storm Troopers conditioned from birth?  Finn defected, are we to assume others haven't? And if so, why not? What makes Finn special that he'd be able to come to his senses when no storm trooper ever before seemingly had? Does he too have Force powers he has yet to realize?

also curious some thoughts about Finn:  Our Storm Troopers conditioned from birth?  Finn defected, are we to assume others haven't? And if so, why not? What makes Finn special that he'd be able to come to his senses when no storm trooper ever before seemingly had? Does he too have Force powers he has yet to realize?

I was uncomfortable with the entire idea that he moved on? We had discussed this prior, why wasn't he a clone?

also curious some thoughts about Finn:  Our Storm Troopers conditioned from birth?  Finn defected, are we to assume others haven't? And if so, why not? What makes Finn special that he'd be able to come to his senses when no storm trooper ever before seemingly had? Does he too have Force powers he has yet to realize?

I think that may be the case. From what I read Benico Del Toro is going to be in 8 and he hinted he would be playing a dark side with a light saber type. So if you have Del Toro's character, Kylo Ren, and Snoke on one side and Luke and Rey on another, you need that 3rd Jedi.

I also think the hinted at this when Finn was so good at the gunner position during the Falcon vs the Tie Fighters scene, both he and Rey had no idea how they were so good at that dogfight when they approached each other after it was over.

anyone else think Rogue One could sneak up and outgross Episode 8?

Rogue One will have the big screen return of Darth Vader (in an active role). Episode 8 won't have arguably the fan favorite character of the original trilogy in Han Solo.

Further, I think opening the weekend before Christmast (like Rogue One will and Episode 8 won't) ended up being a stroke of genius, as many people are off work this week and even the morning showings have been packed.

One main drawback I can see is Rogue One will probably end up being the least kid friendly Star Wars movie to date.

Rogue One will have the big screen return of Darth Vader (in an active role). Episode 8 won't have arguably the fan favorite character of the original trilogy in Han Solo.

Further, I think opening the weekend before Christmast (like Rogue One will and Episode 8 won't) ended up being a stroke of genius, as many people are off work this week and even the morning showings have been packed.

One main drawback I can see is Rogue One will probably end up being the least kid friendly Star Wars movie to date.

Are we certian of that? I read that this one wasnt going to have any Jedi in it (I guess Vader isnt technically a Jedi) that it was purely a war movie based in space in the likeness of a band of brothers type of movie.

It wont outgross it. Very few people even know that movie exists yet. Lots of people will see it but I bet it gets about 75% of this number and then 8 beats it. 

Archived