The Force Awakens Discussion Thread - spoilers allowed

Jason

I'm not sure how I feel about all the anthology movies being movies based from stuff from the old movies. I'd like to see maybe movies of things that are offshoots of stories you may not see in this new Trilogy. 

For instance maybe a story of Maz Kanata how she came about the lightsaber?

1) Pretty sure the Carrie was high for good portions of Empire and Return. Not sure what that says about her acting. My biggest issue with her was maybe Botox.

2) Didn't like some of the CGI characters. Snookee the biggest one literally.

3) Did Poe have a strange accent? Maybe it was just me

4) Loved the Finn and Rey casting. I wish she wasn't in the family, but I am sure she will be. I hate when things are too neatly tied together.

5) Humor was good. It was a main thing missing for me in the prequels.

6) Best line for me was clearly when Han replies "that's not how the force works"

7) it is going to be tough without him in the next two. Harrison brings it.

8) That said I hope they don't focus too much on Luke and Leia. I would really like to follow a new story.

9) I read something the other day saying this one wasn't the best story, but the acting and directing made it. Perhaps the prequel stories aren't bad, but the acting and directing were.

Sent from my r2d4

I'm really curious to see how the loss of Han Solo impacts the franchise going forward. I think part of why so many people are down on the prequel's are that they were behind the eight ball from the get-go because the big three stars of the original trilogy weren't going to be in them. Not to mention no Darth Vader for 99% of the prequels (I know many were upset just at the mere notion that Vader didn't don the suit in Episode 1).

No matter how good the prequels may have been, they weren't going to be put on the same level as the original trilogy. It was going to be hard for them to satisfy the hard-core fans no matter what they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) Pretty sure the Carrie was high for good portions of Empire and Return. Not sure what that says about her acting. My biggest issue with her was maybe Botox.

2) Didn't like some of the CGI characters. Snookee the biggest one literally.

3) Did Poe have a strange accent? Maybe it was just me

4) Loved the Finn and Rey casting. I wish she wasn't in the family, but I am sure she will be. I hate when things are too neatly tied together.

5) Humor was good. It was a main thing missing for me in the prequels.

6) Best line for me was clearly when Han replies "that's not how the force works"

7) it is going to be tough without him in the next two. Harrison brings it.

8) That said I hope they don't focus too much on Luke and Leia. I would really like to follow a new story.

9) I read something the other day saying this one wasn't the best story, but the acting and directing made it. Perhaps the prequel stories aren't bad, but the acting and directing were.

Sent from my r2d4

:24:

The problem with the prequels wasnt the story imo, it was bad casting for Anakin in all 3 and some really bad dialog....well and of course Jar Jar. But the story itself was fine.

Yea I don't even think jar jar is as bad as the hate he gets. He's just the poster boy for the problems IMO. The plots are fine. The main issue is some of the dialogue, specifically the romance stuff.

The special effects and action are some of the best you'll find. As I said above, episode 3 arguably has the best opening 20 minutes and final 30 minutes of any of the movies.

Yea I don't even think jar jar is as bad as the hate he gets. He's just the poster boy for the problems IMO. The plots are fine. The main issue is some of the dialogue, specifically the romance stuff.

The special effects and action are some of the best you'll find. As I said above, episode 3 arguably has the best opening 20 minutes and final 30 minutes of any of the movies.

naw Jar Jar sucked lol

I'm partial to the dual battles at the end of episode 3. Best 14 minute stretch of the Star Wars franchise IMO.

yeah 3 then 1 for me too but its close

The first 3 episodes lacked a character/actor with charisma, and yes, a bad Anakin.  They could have had the charisma had they not killed off Qui-Gonn Jinn

The main problem with the first three was that we already knew the story. There was no real surprise. In fact, we’d had ≈ 2 decades to imagine what the prequels would be about and how the transformation from Anakin to Vader would go …and the movie’s didn’t live up to our imaginations.

Yeah, the casting was horrible. The fact that Natalie Portman fell for a nine-year-old Jake Lloyd is completely unbelievable and borderline criminal. But the casting/acting in 4-6 were pretty atrocious as well. I cringe whenever Mark Hamill speaks in ANH. But I still feel like a kid inside watching it ..

Plus, they had a badass character in Darth Maul that they killed off way too quickly. Too much CGI, too much Jar Jar, too much Hayden Christiansen and not enough believable tension.

3rd viewing tonight.  Week 4, it's still drawing 90% full theaters.  

Han screaming Ben still gets ya, even knowing what's coming.  

I found myself liking Leia a lot more this time around.  I'd had criticized Carrie Fisher's acting earlier, I think I was a little unfair.

I still don't love Kylo Ren unmasking during the Rey torture scene, but every time I watch it I understand better what they were going for.  They want you to see the struggle on his face and the impact of her saying "you're afraid you'll never be as strong as Darth Vader!"  You don't see how much that hits home with him if he's got the mask on.  I'd still have saved the reveal for the Han/Ben scene though, which IMO continues to be one of the best scenes of the Star Wars saga.

Haven't really talked about it prior, but I still don't love Oscar Isaac's performance.  Mainly just the scenes with Finn though, he's fine everywhere else.  The Poe/Finn bromance has always just seemed forced to me.

i still love Maz Kanata.  Her character just pops off the screen.

While its not my favorite lightsaber batter of the Star Wars saga, the Ren/Rey fight may have the best scene setting of any lightsaber battle to date.  Red vs Blue, in the dark, in a snow covered forest.  Visually awesome.

Still think Leia should have gone with Rey to see Luke, and still think Luke should have force pulled the lightsaber out of Rey's hand (though that's more a want, as I suspect he'll try to shun her away in the next movie, hence him not using the force here).

4th week its been in theaters, first time I caught cheers when Rey force pulls the lightsaber out of the snow.  about a dozen or so folks clapped and cheered.

My wife isn't much of a Star Wars fan at all, and she loved the movie.  

And finally, I continue to adore that my daughter pretends she's a music conductor every time she hears the star wars theme, whether its in the theater, her in a room by herself watching the opening crawl of one of the other movies, or occasionally just during a commercial.  Cuter yet, she doesn't just pretend she's a conductor but also moves her head like its the conductor's baton.

Archived