* Burfict is the BEST, and they hate him for it *

Reggie Miller Likens Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict to a Young Ron Artest

Many people have sounded off about Vontaze Burfict in recent days after the Cincinnati Bengals linebacker made yet another questionable hit during Saturday's Wild Card Game against the Pittsburgh Stealers.

Not only did Burfict's costly hit result in a 15-yard penalty (which ultimately led to another 15-yard penalty on Adam "Pacman" Jones), but he has since been suspended for the first three games of the 2016 season. While many want to see the suspension extended, or perhaps have Burfict banned from the NFL, there is at least one person who believes the 25-year-old linebacker can clean up his act.

That would be former Indiana Pacers star and current TNT analyst Reggie Miller.

On Monday, Miller went on The Dan Patrick Show and talked about Burfict's latest controversy. Miller doesn't see Burfict as a lost cause, comparing the linebacker to a former Pacers teammate, Ron Artest.

Artest, aka Metta World Peace, is best known for his role in the Malice at the Palace incident involving the Detroit Pistons and their fans. Artest was suspended for the remainder of the 2004-05 season, which wound up being an 86-game ban.

While it would have been easy for Artest—who had turned 25 just six days before the brawl—to continue down the road he was on, the forward turned his career around by cleaning up his game. Now, more than a decade after seeing his career in jeopardy, the 36-year-old is still playing in the NBA.

That's the type of turnaround Miller believes the 25-year-old Burfict can have. Both Artest and Burfict showed plenty of potential early in their respective careers, but played with an edge that sometimes crossed the line. World Peace has obviously figured it out. Can Burfict learn to avoid the controversy?

[The Dan Patrick Show]

(Video in the link)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2607279-reggie-miller-likens-bengals-lb-vontaze-burfict-to-a-young-ron-artest?

'He willed us back into that game'
Posted Jan 11, 2016

Geoff Hobson
Editor
Bengals.com

His defensive coordinator who lives on the edge with Vontaze Burfict knows how important he is and how well he played in the biggest game of the year.

With a few other bounces, Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther knows what they'd be saying about Vontaze Burfict this week.

The shame of it is, said defensive coordinator Paul Guenther as he clicked The Play back and forth on Monday in his office, WILL linebacker Vontaze Burfict was the player of Saturday’s Wild Card Game. Until the defense had to go back out on the field, where Burfict was called for hitting Stealers wide receiver Antonio Brown high on a ball over the middle with 22 seconds left and the Wild Card was re-shuffled in Pittsburgh’s favor with the 15-yard penalty.

Guenther reviewed the play just a few hours before it was cited in Burfict's three-game suspension Monday night handed down by the NFL for repeated violation of the player safety code. The suspension is for the first three games of next season, although he can participate in the spring camps, training camp, and the pre-season games.

By the time Burfict made a diving interception at the Stealers 26 with 1:36 left and the Bengals leading, 16-15, he had forced the first turnover of the game, a fumble by wide receiver Markus Wheaton, and had sacked quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on the Stealers 1 on a third-down blitz, driving Big Ben out of the game and setting up the Bengals’ first score. But after running back Jeremy Hill fumbled the ball away a scant 13 seconds after Burfict’s pick, the defense was back on the field facing a glued together Ben.
The Bengals understand Burfict has a dirty player label that has been tough to shed since his college days. But they are mystified why the last play from scrimmage Saturday night is being characterized as the deadliest play since Jack Tatum put Darryl Stingley in a wheelchair and has burnished Burfict’s image as a modern-day Conrad-Dobler-dirtiest-player-in-the-league.

And while head coach Marvin Lewis understands why they gave Burfict 15 yards for hitting Brown high, he says Burfict didn’t go over the line.

“It didn’t go over the edge. But unfortunately, he can’t have that kind of blow with the guy that’s receiving the pass,” Lewis said at his Monday news conference.  “But it didn’t go over the edge for the course of the season. He’s had three penalties this season for unnecessary roughness. On one, the guy pushed him back, and I was told later that they (officials) missed the first push. And then he pushed the guy from St. Louis in the back on the screen play right there at the ball. Let’s not take things out of context, and understand it. Let’s judge the body of work.”

So it's believed the club is going to urge Burfict to appeal. The league nailed him "for using his shoulder to make forcible contact to the head and neck area of a defenseless receiver." Burfict has previously been fined for safety-related violations four times this past season, including a $50,000 fine for unnecessarily contacting an opponent who was out of the play in the win over the Ravens in the last game of the regular season.

On Monday, Guenther could barely see Saturday's penalty as he kept running back the last play of the season on his screen. He says he does understand the league being sensitive about the head and neck area. But he also says he doesn't think Burifct had an intent to hurt Brown.

“I don’t know what the rules are anymore,” Guenther said. “I teach the guys the target area, but the minute they see bang-bang, it’s a flag . . . I’m with (Bill) Belichick. Review everything.”

Guenther reviewed this one back and forth. Burfict dropping into zone coverage. Opening his hips, driving to the ball and there is Brown leaping for an overthrown ball. Burfict lowers his shoulder. Brown ducks his head. Split-second, Guenther says. No time to pull up. They collide and Brown is on the ground for several minutes until he gets up and heads to concussion protocol.

“Brown really extended out. (Burfict) really could have blasted this guy . . .  If he really wanted to, he could have stuck his elbow out. It wasn’t malicious. My opinion.  Other people are going to look at it differently,” Guenther said.

Here is how Guenther is looking at it. He runs it back and forth.

“Right now he realizes he thinks he might catch the ball,” Guenther said as Burfict is about to collide with Brown. “He thinks, “If he catches the ball, I’m trying to get the ball out, trying to dislodge it.’’’

“But the way the guy landed and lays down, there is going to be a flag.”

Guenther doesn’t know how Burfict could have played it much better. In fact, he’s more upset about the 15-yard flag after that 15-yard flag. The one where cornerback Adam Jones was provoked into an altercation by Stealers assistant coach Joey Porter, whom, by rule, shouldn’t be on the field.

“I’m still looking for an explanation for that,” Guenther said.

Lewis, a member of the NFL competition committee, usually has these conversations about legal and illegal hits in the relaxed, tony venue of the annual March league meeting. Not in the aftermath of the most heart-breaking loss of his 13 seasons.

“He can’t have that kind of blow with the guy receiving the pass. (The call) was part of what football is now,” Lewis said. “You have to learn to play within the scope of what football is right now. When receiving the football, those guys are being protected. I understand, I’m part of why they’re being protected.”

Which gives you an idea of where the NFL is on this stuff. Knee deep in gray area with even Lewis and Guenther and the league unable to agree on what is a penalty and how severe it is.

One thing where there is no gray area is how important Burfict is to this defense.

“He willed us back into that game. He willed the team,’ said linebacker Vincent Rey. “We all see it. He was willing us to that win.

“I love playing with him. I love being on the field with him. I’ve said it before. He raises my play. He raises our level as a team. It wasn’t the most brutal hit of the game,” Rey said. “It wasn’t a helmet-to-helmet hit. It’s tough. The refs have a tough job. Things are so quick. But we have a tough job, too. You’re a step or two away from a guy and you have to determine how to hit him, how he’s catching the ball. Is he catching the ball? Is it going to be a first down? Such a bang-bang play.”

And as someone said Monday, if Burfict tried to hit lower, he’ll be accused of going for the knees.

“He’s going to get targeted by the officials. I understand that,” Guenther said. “That’s the funny thing about this league. If the game is over, everybody is talking about how good of a player Vontaze is. We all know he plays with an edge, but all this other BS would never have happed and that’s the shame of it.”

Burfict also had the backing of defensive tackle Domata Peko, one of the defensive captains.

"I think he was just doing his job. If (Brown) catches that over the middle they’re going to kick an easy field goal, so what does he try and do he tries to do his job get the ball off him," Peko said. "You never want to take any aggression away from people. That’s how Tez plays, he plays with that aggression and that fire and it’s what makes him a special player. I think he was just doing his job."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/He-willed-us-back-into-that-game/c14a8c80-60e2-481d-9760-5a33cf65d750

A shoulder grazing a helmet during a live play is similar to running in to the stands and fighting fans?  GTFO.  People are blowing this way out of proportion.

And who the fuck wants him banned from the NFL?  This shit is out of control.

I blame our local media. Who the fuck else has the ability to counter any of this nonsense? No one. Our local writers jump on board the hate wagon hoping they'll get national run either in print or on talk shows in hopes of furthering their careers at our espense. Fuck the whole lot of 'em with a machete wrapped in barbed wire.

Holy shit! I can not believe this is a real article written by Major Garret for CBS ... Holy Shit!!! 

What do Donald Trump and Bengals' Vontaze Burfict have in common?

What do GOP front-runner Donald Trump and Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict have in common?

According to House Speaker Paul Ryan, both committed "flagrant violations" of the rules and needed to be penalized. Burfict on a football field. Trump on the field of conservative ideas. Therefore, flags had to be thrown.

In Burfict's case, the flag thrown was for unnecessary roughness and the penalty began the unraveling of the Bengals Super Bowl hopes. In Trump's case it was, according to Ryan, calling for a ban on all Muslims entering the United States.

Ryan memorably denounced Trump's proposal mere hours after it surfaced, arguing it was "not conservatism" -- adding "this is not who we are as a party or a country."

In a pre-State of the Union conversation with reporters in his ornate Speaker's office, Ryan revisited Trump's proposal and compared it to Burfict's savage hit on wide receiver Antonio Brown in the waning moments of the Bengals' Wild Card game against the Pittsburgh Stealers.

"When you see what that guy on the Bengals did," Ryan said, referring to Burfict, "you gotta throw the flag. I don't see myself as the referee. I'm me. And I'm going to speak my mind when I see flagrant violations of conservative principles."

Trump has run against political correctness and even lately warned the NFL it had grown "soft" with a penchant for calling penalties on hits he said would be celebrated in an earlier era.

"Football has become soft like our country has become soft," Trump said in at a rally Sunday in Reno, Nevada. "It's true. It's true. The outcomes of games have been changed by what used to be phenomenal, phenomenal stuff. It's become weak. I don't even watch it as much anymore. The referees, they want to all throw flags so their wives will see them at home."

Ryan said his motivation was simpler, more deeply rooted in classic conservatism and fidelity to the First Amendment.

"I'm going to be completely neutral, but when somebody says something that's so out there I feel like we have to stand up for conservatism," Ryan said. "Because putting religious tests on people is antithetical to conservatism."

Ryan, a Roman Catholic, referred to his invitation to a representative of the Little Sisters of the Poor to sit in the Speaker's box for tonight's speech. The Little Sisters have filed suit to block elements of Obamacare from affecting their ministry to the elderly.

"My own church is suing the federal government over religious freedom, over our conscience rights," Ryan said. "It's the First Amendment to the Constitution. That to me is just standing up for conservatism. If somebody goes off so far away from what is truly what we believe and think is important, you have to say something."

Ryan called his criticism of Trump on the Muslim ban "the exception to the rule." He vowed to support the GOP nominee no matter who it is and offered this compliment about Trump's lead in the national polls.

"We're a big tent party," Ryan said. "It's even bigger now. He's bringing people into the party that weren't coming

before. You got to give him credit for that."

Flagrant fouls and all.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-donald-trump-and-bengals-vontaze-burfict-have-in-common/

Reggie Miller Likens Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict to a Young Ron Artest

Many people have sounded off about Vontaze Burfict in recent days after the Cincinnati Bengals linebacker made yet another questionable hit during Saturday's Wild Card Game against the Pittsburgh Stealers.

Not only did Burfict's costly hit result in a 15-yard penalty (which ultimately led to another 15-yard penalty on Adam "Pacman" Jones), but he has since been suspended for the first three games of the 2016 season. While many want to see the suspension extended, or perhaps have Burfict banned from the NFL, there is at least one person who believes the 25-year-old linebacker can clean up his act.

That would be former Indiana Pacers star and current TNT analyst Reggie Miller.

On Monday, Miller went on The Dan Patrick Show and talked about Burfict's latest controversy. Miller doesn't see Burfict as a lost cause, comparing the linebacker to a former Pacers teammate, Ron Artest.

Artest, aka Metta World Peace, is best known for his role in the Malice at the Palace incident involving the Detroit Pistons and their fans. Artest was suspended for the remainder of the 2004-05 season, which wound up being an 86-game ban.

While it would have been easy for Artest—who had turned 25 just six days before the brawl—to continue down the road he was on, the forward turned his career around by cleaning up his game. Now, more than a decade after seeing his career in jeopardy, the 36-year-old is still playing in the NBA.

That's the type of turnaround Miller believes the 25-year-old Burfict can have. Both Artest and Burfict showed plenty of potential early in their respective careers, but played with an edge that sometimes crossed the line. World Peace has obviously figured it out. Can Burfict learn to avoid the controversy?

[The Dan Patrick Show]

(Video in the link)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2607279-reggie-miller-likens-bengals-lb-vontaze-burfict-to-a-young-ron-artest?

lol, Reggie Miller.    His ass was on the hot seat plenty of times.    Spike Lee and Starks didn't trash talk him because they though he was clam and cool.    

Even former Stealer Ike Taylor has some sense ...

“It’s the chicken wing, right there…That’s a clean hit. They’re (Steeler fans and the media) going to be mad at me but I feel like it’s a clean hit. It’s just Burfict–his resumé and his reputation [represent him as a] dirty player.”

“He can’t have that kind of blow with the guy receiving the pass. (The call) was part of what football is now,” Lewis said. “You have to learn to play within the scope of what football is right now. When receiving the football, those guys are being protected. I understand, I’m part of why they’re being protected.”

Which gives you an idea of where the NFL is on this stuff. Knee deep in gray area with even Lewis and Guenther and the league unable to agree on what is a penalty and how severe it is."

And this statement is just the exclamation mark of why I am finished with the NFL. Done.

Holy shit! I can not believe this is a real article written by Major Garret for CBS ... Holy Shit!!! 

What do Donald Trump and Bengals' Vontaze Burfict have in common?

What do GOP front-runner Donald Trump and Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict have in common?

According to House Speaker Paul Ryan, both committed "flagrant violations" of the rules and needed to be penalized. Burfict on a football field. Trump on the field of conservative ideas. Therefore, flags had to be thrown.

In Burfict's case, the flag thrown was for unnecessary roughness and the penalty began the unraveling of the Bengals Super Bowl hopes. In Trump's case it was, according to Ryan, calling for a ban on all Muslims entering the United States.

Ryan memorably denounced Trump's proposal mere hours after it surfaced, arguing it was "not conservatism" -- adding "this is not who we are as a party or a country."

In a pre-State of the Union conversation with reporters in his ornate Speaker's office, Ryan revisited Trump's proposal and compared it to Burfict's savage hit on wide receiver Antonio Brown in the waning moments of the Bengals' Wild Card game against the Pittsburgh Stealers.

"When you see what that guy on the Bengals did," Ryan said, referring to Burfict, "you gotta throw the flag. I don't see myself as the referee. I'm me. And I'm going to speak my mind when I see flagrant violations of conservative principles."

Trump has run against political correctness and even lately warned the NFL it had grown "soft" with a penchant for calling penalties on hits he said would be celebrated in an earlier era.

"Football has become soft like our country has become soft," Trump said in at a rally Sunday in Reno, Nevada. "It's true. It's true. The outcomes of games have been changed by what used to be phenomenal, phenomenal stuff. It's become weak. I don't even watch it as much anymore. The referees, they want to all throw flags so their wives will see them at home."

Ryan said his motivation was simpler, more deeply rooted in classic conservatism and fidelity to the First Amendment.

"I'm going to be completely neutral, but when somebody says something that's so out there I feel like we have to stand up for conservatism," Ryan said. "Because putting religious tests on people is antithetical to conservatism."

Ryan, a Roman Catholic, referred to his invitation to a representative of the Little Sisters of the Poor to sit in the Speaker's box for tonight's speech. The Little Sisters have filed suit to block elements of Obamacare from affecting their ministry to the elderly.

"My own church is suing the federal government over religious freedom, over our conscience rights," Ryan said. "It's the First Amendment to the Constitution. That to me is just standing up for conservatism. If somebody goes off so far away from what is truly what we believe and think is important, you have to say something."

Ryan called his criticism of Trump on the Muslim ban "the exception to the rule." He vowed to support the GOP nominee no matter who it is and offered this compliment about Trump's lead in the national polls.

"We're a big tent party," Ryan said. "It's even bigger now. He's bringing people into the party that weren't coming

before. You got to give him credit for that."

Flagrant fouls and all.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-donald-trump-and-bengals-vontaze-burfict-have-in-common/

One more reason among many I loathe Paul Ryan

Which gives you an idea of where the NFL is on this stuff. Knee deep in gray area with even Lewis and Guenther and the league unable to agree on what is a penalty and how severe it is."

And this statement is just the exclamation mark of why I am finished with the NFL. Done.

I'm pretty sure that I'm there as well...

Archived