Players say Lewis hasn't lost respect, but Lewis admits he'll change ways

Players say Lewis hasn't lost respect, but Lewis admits he'll change ways

BY RICHARD SKINNER TUESDAY, JANUARY 12TH 2016
4dbb7839fd391e388b0f6a706700043e.jpg
Despite a report quoting anonymous Bengals players that Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis lost control of some members of the team, other players say he hasn't (AP Photo/Tony Avelar).

CINCINNATI (Richard Skinner) - Despite a report from NFL.com quoting anonymous Bengals players following Saturday's loss to the Pittsburgh Stealers that Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis had lost control of some members of the team, several players on the record say they don't believe that to be true.

Whether it is or not, Lewis did say on Monday that he needs to find a better way to reinforce players into keeping their composure during games.

Four defensive players - linebacker Vontaze Burfict, cornerback Adam Jones, middle linebacker Rey Maualuga and safety George Iloka - ran through the tunnel to the locker room following Burfict's interception with 1:32 left in the game.

Then there was Jones' meltdown that led to him getting a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct with 18 seconds remaining. That helped the Stealers move into range for a game-winning field goal.

Those incidents come less than a month after the Bengals were involved in several skirmishes in a game against the Stealers that resulted in almost $150,000 in fines.

According to NFL.com several players cited a season-long lack of discipline among some defensive players in games, practices and meetings for the way things culminated on Saturday.

"Eventually," one player told NFL.com, "this (expletive) catches up to you."

Said another to NFL.com: "You put up with enough (expletive) for enough time, guys think they can continually do it."

Lewis said Monday he thought his players did a good job of turning the other cheek on Saturday night, but didn't carry it out quite to the end.

"We walked away a bunch," said Lewis. "But we have to continue to walk away."

Lewis had talked at different times last week prior to the game about addressing the players to not get into confrontations with Stealers players, and several Bengals players said last week that the message was understood.

Despite that, it wasn't completely carried out, and Lewis was asked if there is a different way he could reinforce it?

"I have to find a better way, I know that," he said. "I have to find a better way to get it across. I'm going to withhold talking on that right now. I'm going to protect our guys as much as I can."

Defensive tackle Domata Peko said in a season-ending meeting with Lewis that the coach discussed taking players out of games if they get into confrontations.

"We've hit the hammer on the nail already," said Peko. "Coach has already said that moving forward here we're not going to do things that way. If anybody is having any arguments with referees he's going to get you out of there. Moving forward we're going to make that change, and it's a good change."

A handful of players interviewed on Monday said they don't believe Lewis has lost control of the team.

"I think that a lot of people put emphasis on that, but the reality is we played a lot of great football all year long," said offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth. "We were a great team all year long. Coach Lewis is a part of that, he's a reason for that. The things he does on a day-in, day-out basis to put us in position to win: You get credit for that too. Sometimes when you lose, everybody wants to find the exact person who has to be at fault. That's the nature of this business. But the reality is that coach Lewis has done a tremendous job here and will continue to do a tremendous job for us. And that's going to be the onus of our players. Leadership is a hard thing. For us as players, that leadership's got to be better."

Said cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick: "Coach has control of the team, but at the end of the day he can't control anybody individually. We have to be grown men about every situation. He does everything he's supposed to do. He coaches us. He teaches us. He goes over detail for us to follow guidelines. I feel like he did a great job of preparing us for this week."

Lewis was asked how much responsibility is on him for the players' actions and how much is on the players?

"Once they cross that line, there's not much I can do, unless I go out on the field, which I'm not allowed to," said Lewis.

Former Bengals quarterback Boomer Esiason was among the outspoken critics of Lewis and the team during the post-game show on CBS on Saturday.

"I'm embarrassed by the way this game ended, by the way these guys acted on the field today," Esiason said. "I'll tell you one thing, if Marvin Lewis can't control those players, then maybe Marvin Lewis shouldn't be standing on the sidelines coaching that dreck."

Most of the issues on Saturday really stem from Jones committing the personal foul and the continuing issues with linebacker Vontaze Burfict, who was called for a personal foul for hitting wide receiver Antonio Brown in the head on a pass incompletion with 18 seconds left. That helped set the stage for Jones' meltdown as Stealers trainers tended to Brown.

Burfict received a three-game suspension starting in the 2016 season for numerous safety violations throughout the season.

Lewis said both players took a big first step in the right direction on Monday.

"Both players couldn't be more heartbroken, literally to tears," said Lewis. "Both of them. That's the first step; to realize 'I'm wrong.' "

http://local12.com/sports/bengals/players-say-lewis-hasnt-lost-respect-but-lewis-admits-hell-change-ways

Players: Marvin Lewis has not lost control

635670376837173470-jim.owczarski.jpg Jim Owczarski, jowczarski@enquirer.com5:36 p.m. EST January 12, 2016

120615 BENGALS-BROWNS

(Photo: Kareem Elgazzar)

In the early hours of Sunday morning, with the Cincinnati Bengals locker room near empty, AJ McCarron was still trying to find words to describe his feelings on a stunning loss to the Pittsburgh Stealers. With a maroon Crimson Tide hat pulled down around his head, he leaned against the wall outside the equipment room, and in a nearly 10-minute decompression session, he would at times pause to breathe, to search for words and explanations for an 18-16 heartbreaker.

What he had no trouble finding was the words for the message of pulling everyone together in such a difficult time, when perhaps the easy thing to do would be to lay blame on teammates.

“The wrong thing to do right now would be to point fingers at anybody,” McCarron said. “We would be taking steps back as a team and we obviously can’t do that. I mean, we win together, we lose together. Everybody has to rally around each other. This is not the time to point any fingers. Guess what? We win as a team, we lose as a team. That’s how we build as a team, in the right steps for next year. If we start parting ways right now, we’re doing nothing but going backwards. I think now is the time where we definitely need to stick together and take that next step.”

It wasn’t long after this however that tweets from ESPN and CBS, along with a story onNFL.com, cited anonymous Bengals players as saying head coach Marvin Lewis had allowed linebacker Vontaze Burfict and cornerback Adam Jones to run unchecked all year long, and it was a near inevitability the pair would cost them a playoff game.

In that story on the league website, Michael Silver wrote that "several players inside the Bengals' locker room – none of whom wanted his name used, for obvious reasons – felt that Lewis deserved the criticism, citing a season-long lack of discipline among some defensive players in games, practices and meetings."

On Monday, not everyone in the Bengals locker room was buying that.

When informed of those tweets, many players offered up quizzical looks about the content and defended Lewis.

“In my opinion, Marvin has complete control of the locker room,” said one player. “(Expletive) happens.”

“It’s because we lost – that’s why there’s focus on the negative,” added another veteran.

As for Lewis, he would only take so much responsibility for the actions of his players on the field during his season-ending press conference.

“Once they go across that line there’s not much I can do from there unless I go out on the field, which I’m not allowed to,” he said.

Lewis did allow that, while he tried different methods to communicate his messages about poise under stress, he must improve. "I know that," he said. "So, yes, I’ve got to find a better way to get it across.”

But he wouldn’t elaborate as to what that way could be.

"I’m not going to share,” he said. “As always, I’m going to protect our guys and my player(s) as much as I can all the time. I’m not going to throw him to you. I’ll continue to protect them all the time just like we do.”

Perhaps that is the point of some players who spoke to national outlets about Burfict and Jones, but on the record on Saturday night, wide receiver A.J. Green said. “I would love to have them on my team. I wouldn’t want to play against them,” Green said, even after he was one of the more upset players to leave the field after the game.

“I wouldn’t trade those guys,” added another player on Monday.

One veteran on offense also insisted there was no divide over Lewis’ handling of Burfict and Jones.

Another longtime veteran chalked up the postgame talk about division in the locker room and Lewis losing control of his players to the heat of the moment following a heartbreaking loss, when the scene was fairly chaotic immediately after the game with players engaging in heated confrontations with one another.

“No one says anything all year and then one play happens and he’s lost control?” one veteran asked on Monday.

Jones acknowledged he should have kept his calm when Stealers assistant coach Joey Porter was on the field following Burfict’s hit on Brown, and his coaches and teammates were universal in agreeing he should have walked away.  But Porter was the universal villain to every member of the Bengals locker room.

And as for Burfict’s hit on Brown that preceded that confrontation, the linebacker’s teammates rallied around him.

“If it was Vinny Rey, that doesn’t get called,” one player said. “It was because it was ‘55’ and ‘84.’”

Added another: “I know all about protecting the players, but it’s football. We signed up for this (expletive).”

Burfict was suspended for the first three games of 2016 late Monday night.

On Monday, Lewis affirmed he will return for his 14th season and said he and the team could only move forward, and hope to improve in the area of playing within the rules – and that Saturday’s result was enough of a stab to the heart of many to drive his message home truly.

“They’re coached to do it within the scope of the rules all the time and we have to play the game as though the other team, the officiating and so forth, doesn’t exist.” Lewis said. “It’s not part of what we can control. We have to control us. I think that’s the message, it’s been the message and unfortunately we had to reinforce it again at an inopportune moment for all of us. Because it stings and it hurts. I think that’s the thing. It’s unfortunate. It brought the season to a screeching halt, way too fast. To give the ball game away.”

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/01/12/cincinnati-bengals-players-marvin-lewis-has-not-lost-control/78683836/

Marvin has been saying this same crap for years.  And the results remain the same.

You are correct sir. This heartbreaker had everything in addition to the usual gaffes. The Bengals shot themselves in the foot, but also were clearly hosed by the officials. As far as Marvin, I really won't be able to care about another Bengal game unless it's in the second round of the playoffs. WAY to late in the game for this older fan to be hearing, "We're going to have to do some things differently." Tired of being "in a great position to win", because it NEVER actually happens. If they make a run next year, I'll still hope for their success, but right now I feel like an outsider wary of investing any part of my heart.

You are correct sir. This heartbreaker had everything in addition to the usual gaffes. The Bengals shot themselves in the foot, but also were clearly hosed by the officials. As far as Marvin, I really won't be able to care about another Bengal game unless it's in the second round of the playoffs. WAY to late in the game for this older fan to be hearing, "We're going to have to do some things differently." Tired of being "in a great position to win", because it NEVER actually happens. If they make a run next year, I'll still hope for their success, but right now I feel like an outsider wary of investing any part of my heart.

Fan for 44 Years...I have wanted Marvin Lewis Gone since we lost the SD playoff game..

I don't know if any of you listened to Mo Egger on 1530 last night but they played clips of Marvins post game press conferences after the last 5 playoff games. And he had to guess which year. It was funny as hell. You could not tell 1 year from another, they all sounded the same with the same excuses. 

That was funny but given the number of coaches that could leave and the number of free agents.   Lose Marvin at this point that basically sends down a path that looks more like rebuild vs. reload.

IMO, best chance at an AFC North repeat is retention of Lewis and I've want him gone since 2010.    Of course what good is a division title when you are losing in the playoffs?

That was funny but given the number of coaches that could leave and the number of free agents.   Lose Marvin at this point that basically sends down a path that looks more like rebuild vs. reload.

IMO, best chance at an AFC North repeat is retention of Lewis and I've want him gone since 2010.    Of course what good is a division title when you are losing in the playoffs?

Agreed, losing Marvin and Hue and possibly Paul would put us behind the 8 ball. Marvin needs to stay, not that there is any chance he isnt.

Agreed, losing Marvin and Hue and possibly Paul would put us behind the 8 ball. Marvin needs to stay, not that there is any chance he isnt.

In addition.   12 wins.   division title.    And his team did play well enough to win in the playoffs.  

Minor awards, I know, but a stronger performance than what we've gotten since the reboot after 2010.

In addition.   12 wins.   division title.    And his team did play well enough to win in the playoffs.  

Minor awards, I know, but a stronger performance than what we've gotten since the reboot after 2010.

Notice the change in my profile pic.

I believe ML is guilty of the same error that got Dick LeBeau fired from his one  and only head coach position....he trusted his players, esp his veteran players to behave like pros,  and the players betrayed his trust....and "NO"  I am not an ML fan on game days, and won't cry when he is promoted or retires.

Ultimately to all of us,  including those who are damn adamant about firing Marvin Lewis w/o a game plan for getting his replacement,  I think the phrase "You get what you paid for"  could be aprops, since it appears that Vance and Hue are just the beginning of a bit of an exodus of our coaches to more fruitful possibilities, and just straight-up promotions to either O/D Coordinator or Head Coach....

All the gnashing of teeth because of the stinging loss that should have been a win.....we reap what we have sown, for all we know we had our head coach in the ranks, but now he's the head coach of the Cleveland Browns....props to him though that he's pretty much has put the writing on the wall for Manziel.  How long do you figure before he officially releases/waives him or trade him, more likely to Dallas (we all know Jerry Jones wanted the guy before the Browns got him)?

Fan for 44 Years...I have wanted Marvin Lewis Gone since we lost the SD playoff game..

yea , me too ! fan since the playoff loss 31-28 in '78 to the raiders .

the charger game , with us being 8-0 at home , then getting blown out . there was nooo excuse to lose that one .

I can not stand lewis !! all I hear is bla bla bla and bla bla . please  , just STFU and leave . same shit , different year .

too me the charger game hurt more than this one . sure , we're winning but only have a shitty division champion hat to show for it .

he just makes me sick and makes me fume listening to his bullshit !! :2:

yea , me too ! fan since the playoff loss 31-28 in '78 to the raiders .

the charger game , with us being 8-0 at home , then getting blown out . there was nooo excuse to lose that one .

I can not stand lewis !! all I hear is bla bla bla and bla bla . please  , just STFU and leave . same shit , different year .

too me the charger game hurt more than this one . sure , we're winning but only have a shitty division champion hat to show for it .

he just makes me sick and makes me fume listening to his bullshit !! :2:

Hey now.  Those division champ hats are awesome and so are the people that wear them.  

I love Marvin. I hope he gets a ring here before he is done. I think he deserves one for all he has done and all the shit he has taken and put up with. 

They have scoreboards for a reason.    Those who are on the wrong side of the scoreboard don't deserve rings. 

I'm sure he's got some nice division championship gear. 

They have scoreboards for a reason.    Those who are on the wrong side of the scoreboard don't deserve rings. 

I'm sure he's got some nice division championship gear. 

Here's a helpful hint. You don't have to be a dick all the time. There is no reason to go out of your way just to try and piss people off.

Here's a helpful hint. You don't have to be a dick all the time. There is no reason to go out of your way just to try and piss people off.

If people are getting pissed about something the counters their viewpoint then that's their fault.

A coach  paid millions of dollars does not deserve a Superbowl ring, that's why they have scoreboards.   You win won.    I hope he wins one because I'm a fan of the team he coaches.   He does not deserve one just based on service time etc.   

If people are getting pissed about something the counters their viewpoint then that's their fault.

A coach  paid millions of dollars does not deserve a Superbowl ring, that's why they have scoreboards.   You win won.    I hope he wins one because I'm a fan of the team he coaches.   He does not deserve one just based on service time etc.   

Yo know what he fucking meant. It's a figure of speech. Quit trolling.

Archived