Hue Jackson wants Browns to move on from Johnny Manziel

Montana Bengal

Hue Jackson wants Browns to move on from Johnny Manziel

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14563044/hue-jackson-hiring-means-cleveland-browns-johnny-manziel-done

The hiring of Hue Jackson as coach of the Cleveland Browns means the end of Johnny Manziel in Cleveland.

According to a source close to the situation, the topic of Manziel was discussed at length in meetings between Jackson and Browns ownership. In those discussions, Jackson indicated that he would prefer the organization move on from Manziel if he were to become coach, and he was told that would not be a problem.

The Browns agreed to hire Jackson as their new coach on Wednesday.

The Browns have not been happy with Manziel since he missed the season finale -- and a scheduled assessment of his season-ending concussion.

The team believes Manziel was in Las Vegas that weekend, as USA Today reported, and though owner Jimmy Haslam would not commit firmly, the team did not concern themselves with their quarterback once the season ended.

That was a sure sign they intended to move on.

The decision remaining is whether to try to trade Manziel, or to simply cut him when the waiver period begins after the Super Bowl.

The fact he even needs to tell these guys this, and make it a factor in his hiring should be a HUGE red flag.

My guess would be that they're well aware, but since they made the decision to draft the putz in the first place it looks a lot better for them if they can make someone else responsible for firing him.  Which, granted, is also a red flag of its own but I think Hue's ego may have got the best of him.  I can't imagine he wouldn't have had other offers if he'd had the patience to let the interview process play out for him.  To be fair though a lot of people probably said the same about Marvin when he took over the mess that was the Bengals.

Archived