Zampese promoted to OC

Not a fan. He's been here forever and is just now getting his shot. He's was passed over for Gruden and Hue before. Why is he good enough now? 

Simple. Because people change and develop over time and situations change. Maybe he wasn't ready for the role previously but now he is.

The whole run blocking patheticness has driven me nuts.

if you can't power run, why not switch to zone blocking? Fucking Denver churns out massive running numbers year after year (more often than not, at least- with questionable talent in comparison) and we have an exceptionally highly paid line, two top draft picks at RB and a fleet of WR/TEs.

switch the damn blocking scheme if you have athletic lineman that can't block downhill in a standard scheme. Zone blocking works. Period. Shitting run blocking offensive lineman with no pride like the bengals have, doesn't work

I realized something last night while posting a novel on what may have been behind the defensive house-clearing. If it isn't among the reasons we're getting new blood, it should be:

In the last 5 drafts with our top three picks 9 of 15 picks have been on offense. But the most sobering thing is that the defensive picks have been:

3) Dontay Moch (bust
1) Dre K (majorly underwhelming)
2) Devon Still (bust)
2) Margus Hunt (bust)
1) Dennard (Incomplete)
3) Will Clarke (Incomplete but not wowing). 

That's just... stinky.

Jeeze, and going even further the only player who has so far clearly panned out with all the other defensive picks in the last 5 years is George Iloka, with Shawn Williams looking promising. Both Safeties.

That's 1 or 2 out of 17 picks. That's NG.

Givent that our position coaches are also primarily responsible for scouting players, I may have stumbled on another reason that they are looking for new blood.

I realized something last night while posting a novel on what may have been behind the defensive house-clearing. If it isn't among the reasons we're getting new blood, it should be:

In the last 5 drafts with our top three picks 9 of 15 picks have been on offense. But the most sobering thing is that the defensive picks have been:

3) Dontay Moch (bust
1) Dre K (majorly underwhelming)
2) Devon Still (bust)
2) Margus Hunt (bust)
1) Dennard (Incomplete)
3) Will Clarke (Incomplete but not wowing). 

That's just... stinky.

Jeeze, and going even further the only player who has so far clearly panned out with all the other defensive picks in the last 5 years is George Iloka, with Shawn Williams looking promising. Both Safeties.

That's 1 or 2 out of 17 picks. That's NG.

Givent that our position coaches are also primarily responsible for scouting players, I may have stumbled on another reason that they are looking for new blood.

Where did you post the novel? I am interested. 

Also, I think that you are on to something here but overstating. Dunlap-Johnson-Burfict-Iloka-Atkins have all been very successful int heir roles and were drafted. I am surprised that, that's it. 

Not saying you, but it is funny that when things are going good everyone sings Marvin Lewis praises on his roster building, talent evaluations and should move into the Bengal's front office....but as soon as they turn it's the player's or the coaches or the water boy or whoever can be made the fall guy.  Marvin is never held accountable.

Not saying you, but it is funny that when things are going good everyone sings Marvin Lewis praises on his roster building, talent evaluations and should move into the Bengal's front office....but as soon as they turn it's the player's or the coaches or the water boy or whoever can be made the fall guy.  Marvin is never held accountable.

All we need to do is have less misses then the other teams. 

YES. more screen passes and pussy ass football !! 

can you say embarassed in the playoffs 6 straight years? 

FUCK YES

more of the same.. keep it COMING...

nothing better than more of the same.. right?

YES

*stoked*

cant wait to watch this moving for the 6th fucking time...  im sure it will end differently though...

Where did you post the novel? I am interested. 

Also, I think that you are on to something here but overstating. Dunlap-Johnson-Burfict-Iloka-Atkins have all been very successful int heir roles and were drafted. I am surprised that, that's it. 

Burfict wasn't drafted. 

Also, my standard was in the last 5 years, which means 2011-2015. The guys you mention have definitely been successful, but what's also scary is that, even if you go well before 2010, when Dunlap and Geno were taken, they really haven't had many hits at all on the D side of the ball. 

As to your other questions, I posted on footballpros. Here it is so you don't have to click, fwiw:

It's not posting.  Here:

Well Vance is easy IMO. He wasn't getting promoted here and he got that somewhere else.  

Everyone else either took a lateral position or just flat left. 

I'd say we could also surmise one of a couple of possibilities from what we know.

1) The defense, though strong in scoring, was not actually strong in situational football, and particularly weak in stopping opponents during key, game deciding drives.

2) The defense was also much more undisciplined this year than previously, ON THE FIELD with football plays. We gave up LOTS more big plays.

Couple those 2 above with:

3) The defense exhibited a gross lack of discipline in their final flameout loss to Pitt, which reflected very poorly on our very conservative owner. 

4) Several players on the defense, including both stars (Dunlap, Geno) and unnamed players openly criticized that fact, with some going so far as to say certain players weren't disciplined by the team all year long. 

Guenther got a sniff from one team really (the Browns), but they turned over every rock in football. Is he a rising star, or a guy who inherited a very good defense? I guess time will tell. What we do know, though, is that he did, basically, inherit this defense (especially when you consider that he only got 2 out of our 6 picks from the first 3 rounds of the last two drafts, with virtually no outside FA's to speak of). 

So fingers on that side of the ball get pointed, and where do they ultimately end up? Well, it's Guenther's unit so he's ultimately responsible. I'm sure there was a very frank convo between him and ML and MB, and Guenther's answer was (probably under duress) let me fix it. Let's bring in some new position coaches, etc.  

But here's what I think it really was. 

1) They have guys on the DL (mentioned above) who are superstars and not happy. Those guys are getting, literally, all of the production from that unit with very little help. If we had another effective inside rush and something remotely approaching an effective outside rush from MJs spot, Dunlap and Geno would be leading the league, easily, because they'd be freed up and more productive. They're good enough to know what good coaching is, and they're now old and experienced (and have the star power) to say something about it. I mentioned it elsewhere but Dunlap's comments in TC about the amazing tips he was getting from a coaching intern spoke volume. These guys are hungry for tools and they just aren't getting it. Dunlap and Geno are truly freaks that can overcome it, but imagine if they had a true technique guy that could take them to the next level, as well as if they could be surrounded by bigger difference makers in the other spots (something I've been advocating for 3 years now).

2) Perhaps the biggest budding superstar on this team is Burfict. But he's also riding the razor's edge of finding himself suspended for a year. He showed us late in the season just how dominant he can be, and how radical his effect is on the team at large. Not just emotionally, but in actual play (I think our ypc against RBs was almost 2 full yards less with him back (which was #1 in the nfl for those games). He's the QB of the D, but he's also becoming a HUGE playmaker, racking up sacks, forced fumbles, and, most tellingly, INTs. Now, the LB coach he had was a veritable puppy, and a guy that came in after Vontaze. Given the fact that we KNOW he's a lot to handle, and that he is vital for the team's future prospects, I'm guessing Marvin and Co. decided the best thing to do was go and get a grizzled veteran coach who had the resume but also the mental make-up to better mentor Burfict. The bit about Haslett's earlier throat stomping along with his HC and DC experience, lead me to believe that he's probably that guy. Dawson not seeing the field also reflected poorly on Burke, and given he's had his own discipline questions before he even got here, the need became even more pressing.

3) Losing Vance is a sad story, but we weren't going to keep him without a big promotion. Carrier was only here because bringing in Vance meant we didn't have to fire him. With Vance gone, Carrier just became the appendage that the team clearly realized he was shortly after bringing him (and so sending them to collect Vance).

YES. more screen passes and pussy ass football !! 

can you say embarassed in the playoffs 6 straight years? 

FUCK YES

more of the same.. keep it COMING...

nothing better than more of the same.. right?

YES

*stoked*

cant wait to watch this moving for the 6th fucking time...  im sure it will end differently though...

Yeah right. Andy Dalton was in the top two in the league in YPA.  No dink and dunk there.

You're clearly stuck in broken record mode. How else can we explain away your idiotic celebration that Dalton wasn't able to go in the last playoff game? 

It's not posting.  Here:

Well Vance is easy IMO. He wasn't getting promoted here and he got that somewhere else.  

Everyone else either took a lateral position or just flat left. 

I'd say we could also surmise one of a couple of possibilities from what we know.

1) The defense, though strong in scoring, was not actually strong in situational football, and particularly weak in stopping opponents during key, game deciding drives.

2) The defense was also much more undisciplined this year than previously, ON THE FIELD with football plays. We gave up LOTS more big plays.

Couple those 2 above with:

3) The defense exhibited a gross lack of discipline in their final flameout loss to Pitt, which reflected very poorly on our very conservative owner. 

4) Several players on the defense, including both stars (Dunlap, Geno) and unnamed players openly criticized that fact, with some going so far as to say certain players weren't disciplined by the team all year long. 

Guenther got a sniff from one team really (the Browns), but they turned over every rock in football. Is he a rising star, or a guy who inherited a very good defense? I guess time will tell. What we do know, though, is that he did, basically, inherit this defense (especially when you consider that he only got 2 out of our 6 picks from the first 3 rounds of the last two drafts, with virtually no outside FA's to speak of). 

So fingers on that side of the ball get pointed, and where do they ultimately end up? Well, it's Guenther's unit so he's ultimately responsible. I'm sure there was a very frank convo between him and ML and MB, and Guenther's answer was (probably under duress) let me fix it. Let's bring in some new position coaches, etc.  

But here's what I think it really was. 

1) They have guys on the DL (mentioned above) who are superstars and not happy. Those guys are getting, literally, all of the production from that unit with very little help. If we had another effective inside rush and something remotely approaching an effective outside rush from MJs spot, Dunlap and Geno would be leading the league, easily, because they'd be freed up and more productive. They're good enough to know what good coaching is, and they're now old and experienced (and have the star power) to say something about it. I mentioned it elsewhere but Dunlap's comments in TC about the amazing tips he was getting from a coaching intern spoke volume. These guys are hungry for tools and they just aren't getting it. Dunlap and Geno are truly freaks that can overcome it, but imagine if they had a true technique guy that could take them to the next level, as well as if they could be surrounded by bigger difference makers in the other spots (something I've been advocating for 3 years now).

2) Perhaps the biggest budding superstar on this team is Burfict. But he's also riding the razor's edge of finding himself suspended for a year. He showed us late in the season just how dominant he can be, and how radical his effect is on the team at large. Not just emotionally, but in actual play (I think our ypc against RBs was almost 2 full yards less with him back (which was #1 in the nfl for those games). He's the QB of the D, but he's also becoming a HUGE playmaker, racking up sacks, forced fumbles, and, most tellingly, INTs. Now, the LB coach he had was a veritable puppy, and a guy that came in after Vontaze. Given the fact that we KNOW he's a lot to handle, and that he is vital for the team's future prospects, I'm guessing Marvin and Co. decided the best thing to do was go and get a grizzled veteran coach who had the resume but also the mental make-up to better mentor Burfict. The bit about Haslett's earlier throat stomping along with his HC and DC experience, lead me to believe that he's probably that guy. Dawson not seeing the field also reflected poorly on Burke, and given he's had his own discipline questions before he even got here, the need became even more pressing.

3) Losing Vance is a sad story, but we weren't going to keep him without a big promotion. Carrier was only here because bringing in Vance meant we didn't have to fire him. With Vance gone, Carrier just became the appendage that the team clearly realized he was shortly after bringing him (and so sending them to collect Vance).

not bad thoughts. I think it's more giving guenther his own. guys.  They clearly love guenther or they would have just hired Joseph. I'm betting haslett was already coming and they wanted a spot for him. Hayes   May want to eventually be a dc and that wasn't happening here. Agree with you on carrier. 

Archived