Jay Hayes gone to the Bucs to coach their D-Line

I don't think that's the case at all. If it was Hue would have gotten the job. I think Marvin is a standup guy and it was time for Hayes and Burke to go and he said If you can get another job feel free to go.

Or, more frighteningly is that the locker room is lost, (which whitworth hints at with his comments about the post game handshakes) and these guys are jumping ship.

So you think he's letting coaches he trusts and like leave in his last year?  Just to be nice? That makes zero sense. 

very little Marvin does makes any sense.

Hue was a hot commodity- he tried to keep him so he could take his job soon.

Jay Hayes is not a hot commodity, and is an underwhelming coach. Out of friendship and loyalty, why would Marvin not be ok with him taking a job when it is offered? Coaches fall out of the NFL as often as players- a coach like Hayes must take the opportunity that comes to him.

Plus, now Marvin can bring in someone who hopefully gets more out of his players in crucial spots.

Actually that's exactly why Hue was offered the succession plan to HC (likely next year)- Marvin isn't coaching much longer.

the Hayes brothers are two of his best friends. He let him find a job.

I think you're reading too much into it. During the presser for Zamp they asked Marvin about any "succession plan" and he said you are reading the media.

very little Marvin does makes any sense.

Hue was a hot commodity- he tried to keep him so he could take his job soon.

Jay Hayes is not a hot commodity, and is an underwhelming coach. Out of friendship and loyalty, why would Marvin not be ok with him taking a job when it is offered? Coaches fall out of the NFL as often as players- a coach like Hayes must take the opportunity that comes to him.

Plus, now Marvin can bring in someone who hopefully gets more out of his players in crucial spots.

I'm completely lost with what your saying now.    

17 picks on DL in last 10 years. 2 HR with Dunlap and Geno in 2010. Two hits with Peko (2006) and MJ (2009).  Pretty much a big zero everywhere else.  Worse, our two highest picks during those 10 years were taken recently (Still, Hunt), and both have turned out to be total busts. It's not exactly a glowing resume.  

Oh, I absolutely think he's simply average, at the very most/best. 

There's a lot of groupthink on this site, but there's just no way anyone can go around saying MJ should be a guy you want as a nickel pass rusher.  And this year he actually had a major regression in his run D as well (zone runs seemed to target him repeatedly, and he frequently lost contain and got us gashed), so I'm not sure if he's worth his cost.

His numbers were right around his career average (he's only ever topped 6 sacks once in his 7 years), but that's remarkable when considering that he was playing alongside the number one pass rushing DT in the league and a guy who was tied for #3 in sacks at DE opposite (and together Geno and Dunlap were the second highest sacking tandem in the league).  Both of those guys frequently got double teams, and MJ never did. Still, he couldn't provide pressure.

Get us a pass rusher to go with those two guys (and I wouldn't mind another pass rushing DT to do alongside Geno (Hardison) and we'll have something lethal.

As it is now, MJ is showing that his abysmal season in Tampa (where he played alongside a line that pales in comparison to ours) was not an anomaly, but rather the new trend. 

At least we got him for several million less than many around here claimed he was worth....

Oh, I absolutely think he's simply average, at the very most/best. 

There's a lot of groupthink on this site, but there's just no way anyone can go around saying MJ should be a guy you want as a nickel pass rusher.  And this year he actually had a major regression in his run D as well (zone runs seemed to target him repeatedly, and he frequently lost contain and got us gashed), so I'm not sure if he's worth his cost.

His numbers were right around his career average (he's only ever topped 6 sacks once in his 7 years), but that's remarkable when considering that he was playing alongside the number one pass rushing DT in the league and a guy who was tied for #3 in sacks at DE opposite (and together Geno and Dunlap were the second highest sacking tandem in the league).  Both of those guys frequently got double teams, and MJ never did. Still, he couldn't provide pressure.

Get us a pass rusher to go with those two guys (and I wouldn't mind another pass rushing DT to do alongside Geno (Hardison) and we'll have something lethal.

As it is now, MJ is showing that his abysmal season in Tampa (where he played alongside a line that pales in comparison to ours) was not an anomaly, but rather the new trend. 

At least we got him for several million less than many around here claimed he was worth....

don't try to talk sense into people around here

A few thoughts...

There have been too many guys that have hit their ceiling too soon.  It's easy to point to Devon Still and Margus Hunt, but to me, Brandon Thompson is the best example.  As a rookie, he looked great, but he just never got any better.  At this point he's a guy that doesn't even dress every week.  That's a reflection of bad coaching.  

The other thing is that despite their friendship, there had to be at least a little bitterness from Hayes toward Marvin Lewis over Paul Guenther leap frogging Hayes to get the DC gig a couple years ago.  

It's funny how small the window for assistants can be.  The Bengals are reported to be interested in Tim Lewis as their Secondary Coach.  Tim Lewis, 10/15 years ago was supposed to be a slam dunk to be a Head Coach.  I didn't even realize he was still around.  

Archived