Bengals overhauling Defense. Mark Carrier gone too

Nothing odd about this, imo, except that it was finally allowed to happen after years of needing to.

Vance is the real loss, and he's the one guy we clearly wanted to keep.

Hayes and Burke both made lateral moves.  You can read from that they were asked to leave. Carrier is just flat out gone.  More of the same. 

Anyone who thinks this defense is great pays too much attention to stats and not enough to what happens on the field.

Major fail in big moments, big games, and sadly, as we've seen, big moments when all we need to do is keep the opponent from driving 60 or 80 yards in 90 seconds.  And that predates this season by a long stretch.

Let's also keep in mind that Guenther has now fully settled into his spot, and may have decided that he had the leverage/clout/bona fides to remake the coaching staff in his own image. 

One thing's for sure, the whispers about lack of discipline were focused on this side of the ball, and given the character blemish tarnish (much of it either unwarranted, trumped up -- or nothing to be ashamed about, in my book) following the playoffs, Mike Brown may have had some demands.  Things were eerily silent from this team early this week, and you just know some things were going down.

Now, if we can only turn our focus and take the same approach on the other side of the ball.  

And let's start with our vastly overrated O-Line.  It's painful watching so much draft capital continually regress. Let's hope Paul Alexander is next. 

Nothing odd about this, imo, except that it was finally allowed to happen after years of needing to.

Hayes and Burke both made lateral moves.  You can read from that they were asked to leave. Carrier is just flat out gone.  More of the same. 

Anyone who thinks this defense is great pays too much attention to stats and not enough to what happens on the field.

Major fail in big moments, big games, and sadly, as we've seen, big moments when all we need to do is keep the opponent from driving 60 or 80 yards in 90 seconds.  And that predates this season by a long stretch.

Let's also keep in mind that Guenther has now fully settled into his spot, and may have decided that he had the leverage/clout/bona fides to remake the coaching staff in his own image. 

One thing's for sure, the whispers about lack of discipline were focused on this side of the ball, and given the character blemish tarnish (much of it either unwarranted, trumped up -- or nothing to be ashamed about, in my book) following the playoffs, Mike Brown may have had some demands.  Things were eerily silent from this team early this week, and you just know some things were going down.

Now, if we can only turn our focus and take the same approach on the other side of the ball.  

And let's start with our vastly overrated O-Line.  It's painful watching so much draft capital continually regress. Let's hope Paul Alexander is next. 

yep. Guenther finally can piece together his staff the way he wants it.  Jim haslett is a nice first piece. 

i approve this post.

Please Hue hire Paul.....long over due for an over haul in o line philosophies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of insight in your post.  Would love to hear your thoughts on what the Bengals defense will look like for 2016 as well as what players will help to make a difference and which ones should perhaps move on.  On another post, I ended it with a quote from Albert Einstein:  "The definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting different results every time".  When you look at our losses this past season,  what consistently stuck out as a systemic problem?   I'll hang up and listen to you commentary.  Thanks

A lot of insight in your post.  Would love to hear your thoughts on what the Bengals defense will look like for 2016 as well as what players will help to make a difference and which ones should perhaps move on.  On another post, I ended it with a quote from Albert Einstein:  "The definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting different results every time".  When you look at our losses this past season,  what consistently stuck out as a systemic problem?   I'll hang up and listen to you commentary.  Thanks

Pretty sure Einstein never said that. It's been attributed to him with no backing reference.

We had major breakdowns on defense. You can point to all three levels and point out Peko, Burfict and Pacman as players who were out of control. That goes back to their position coaches.

Carrier is an odd one because Nelson, Illoka, Williams, and Shaw all had good years with no major breakdowns. Was he a victim of collective punishment, or did Reggie Nelson get him fired by mixing it up with the Stealers sideline?

The message to the players? Your screwups are getting your coaches fired.

The best thing about posting quotes on the Internet is that no one checks to see if they're real.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Easy on the offensive side of the ball.... Freaking o line cannot run block verses good defenses. I line always seems to be out coached in big game. Let's hear it for the Maestro for his non impactful blocking schemes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived