Bush hints at using force aganst Iran

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus
[img]http://journalism.berkeley.edu/projects/arccrisis/afghanimages/Iraq-Iran-Afg.gif[/img]

[u]Bush hints at using force against Iran
President says 'all options are on the table' to get Tehran to give up nukes
MSNBC
Aug 13th, 2005
[/u]

JERUSALEM - In a stern warning to Iran, President Bush said “all options are on the table” if the Iranians refuse to comply with international demands to halt their nuclear program, pointedly noting he has already used force to protect U.S. security.

Bush’s statement during an interview on Israeli TV late Friday was unusually harsh. He previously said diplomacy should be used to persuade Iran to suspend its nuclear program and if that failed then the U.N. Security Council should impose sanctions.

The U.S. government and others fear Iran’s nuclear work is secretly designed to produce nuclear weapons. Iran’s leaders deny that, saying it is only for the generation of electricity.

In the interview, Bush said the United States and Israel “are united in our objective to make sure that Iran does not have a weapon.”

But, he said, if diplomacy fails “all options are on the table.”

“The use of force is the last option for any president. You know, we’ve used force in the recent past to secure our country,” he said.

Iran’s government resumed uranium conversion at its nuclear facility in Isfahan this past week. The U.N. nuclear watchdog agency, the International Atomic Energy Agency, responded by issuing a warning to Iran on Thursday that expressed “serious concern” about Iran’s intentions.

Bush welcomed the warning, which signaled that the West wanted to give diplomacy time to ease the standoff.

In Vienna, Austria, where the IAEA is based, diplomats said Iran faced a Sept. 3 deadline to stop uranium conversion or face possible referral to the Security Council, which has the power to impose crippling sanctions. The diplomats spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the IAEA board’s proceedings.

Iran, which insists its nuclear program is peaceful, responded with indignation to the IAEA warning.

Guest oldschooler

No more wars for oil !!!! :onoudidnt:

[img]http://www.nightscribe.com/Entertainment/images/GAS_PRICES_ARM_LEG_1st_BORN_web.jpg[/img]

Oh wait...if we went to war for oil...then we should have
MORE and it should be cheaper huh ? :crazy:

*note ...this post is dripping with sarcasm and should
be viewed as such*

:headbang:

Guest bengalrick
this is my take on this situation... before the war on terror, iran would have spit in our face... if clinton made this warning, they would laugh and continue... if the UN made this comment.. well, they're pussies... they never threaten anything but sanctions which kill the citizens, and do nothing to the gov't...

but now that Bush has shown he has a pair and will do it if necessary, i have a feeling that the iranian gov't thinks that he just might do it... i hope we don't but will support whatever my gov't thinks is the best way to stop them from getting nukes... but diplomacy has to be first and formost..

threats are only valid if the person recieving it thinks you would actually act on it... that is a big reason iraq is important on the war on terror imo... we threatened, nobody did shit for 5-10 years while we just made a more stern threat... then we said fuck you and did it ourselves... i guarentee the world took notice... whether they like us right now is a moot point b/c they are scared that they could be next...

[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='Aug 14 2005, 06:10 PM'][url="http://jtf.oban.pf-c.dk/TomLehrer/Tom%20Lehrer,%20That%20was%20the%20year%20that%20was/?N=D"]Who's Next? Let's Send the Marines[/url]
[right][post="130766"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

First we got the bomb and that was good,
'Cause we like peace and motherhood.
Then Russia got the bomb but that's ok,
'Cause the balance of power's maintained that way,
Who's next?

When someone makes a move,
Of which we don't approve,
Who is it that always intervenes?
UN and OAS
They have their place I guess,
But first, send the marines!

(without clicking the links - I love Tom Lehrer)

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='The Scales' date='Aug 15 2005, 03:01 AM']So i'm listening to some AM talk radio on the way to Jersey.

I hear this guy saying that Jr. has stated if a terrorist ever set off a nuke on American soil,  he would big honkin parkin lot Mecca and the grand Kabah  so fast....
[right][post="131038"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

am i the only one stuggling on decicifering this last sentence?

.....then George W. Bush will nuke Mecca and the Grand Kabah(SP?)

The Grand Kabah is the Holiest of the Holies....Muslims must make a pilgrimage there at least once in their life, circle the building 7 times, kiss the building etc., the Quaran states that the building was built by "ADAM".....

the whole facility is covered in black fabric...

George would nuke it...supposedly it's the only thing these extremist muslims care about, and with the destruction of thier holy temple hangin over their heads they dare not risk dubya's fury.... so ya we got that going for us.

[quote name='The Scales' date='Aug 15 2005, 12:21 PM'].....then George W. Bush will nuke Mecca and the Grand Kabah(SP?)
The Grand Kabah is the Holiest of the Holies....Muslims must make a pilgrimage there at least once in their life,  circle the building 7 times, kiss the building etc., the Quaran states that the building was built by "ADAM".....

the whole facility is covered in black fabric...
George would nuke it...supposedly it's the only thing these extremist muslims care about, and with the destruction of thier holy temple hangin over their heads they dare not risk dubya's fury.... so ya we got that going for us.
[right][post="131120"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
thats a way better explanation than whatever the hell you said up above

Guest bengalrick
if bush said that (i doubt it very highly he did or would) then he is stupid... you want to avoid a "holy war" not star one by pissing on their holy site...

thanks for explaining that to me though...

Guest BlackJesus
[i][b]If Bushed nuked the Holy shrine....

then we would have so many Suicide bombers throughout the world we would count them by how many dozen per hour [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img] [/b][/i]

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Aug 15 2005, 05:10 PM'][i][b]If Bushed nuked the Holy shrine....

then we would have so many Suicide bombers throughout the world we would count them by how many dozen per hour  [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img] [/b][/i]
[right][post="131151"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Do you think the Muslim Taliban was wrong for blowing up all those Buddist carvings in the mountains of Afghanistan? Nobody seems to be giving them any crap for destroying religious artifacts.

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]Do you think the Muslim Taliban was wrong for blowing up all those Buddist carvings in the mountains of Afghanistan?[/quote]

[i][b]Yes......... although bad analogy because that was in their own nation.......[/b][/i]

[quote]Nobody seems to be giving them any crap for destroying religious artifacts.[/quote]

[i][b]The difference is Buddhists don't have a practice of martyrdom where they would then retaliate with suicide bombers. Buddhists are also much different when it comes to idolatry and carry no signifigance in artifacts or possessions like Abrahamic religions do (islam, Christianity, Judiaism)[/b][/i]

Ok now this guy was saying that Bush would only do this in retaliation to an attack on our soil.

It's not like he's gonna wake up one day, fart, and decide to blow up the kabah....plus i doubt he would nuke it, unless of course a nuke was detonated somewhere on our soil...

Supposedly Bushy's threat is whats keeping american soil safe....

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Aug 15 2005, 11:20 PM'][i][b]The difference is Buddhists don't have a practice of martyrdom where they would then retaliate with suicide bombers.  Buddhists are also much different when it comes to idolatry and carry no signifigance in artifacts or possessions like Abrahamic religions do (islam, Christianity, Judiaism)[/b][/i]
[right][post="131410"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I didnt mean the Buddhists retaliating, I meant the general consensus of the rest of the world. When they blew up those statues there was some minor disapproval by other countries...although it was mostly by archeologists who didnt want them destroyed. There was no real fervor by other nations.

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='The Scales' date='Aug 15 2005, 09:07 PM']Ok now this guy was saying that Bush would only do this in retaliation to an attack on our soil.

It's not like he's gonna wake up one day, fart, and decide to blow up the kabah....plus i doubt he would nuke it, unless of course a nuke was detonated somewhere on our soil...

Supposedly Bushy's threat is whats keeping american soil safe....
[right][post="131495"][/post][/right][/quote]

nukes are not to be used by us ever again imo... it would be a very, very sad day if we ever used a nuke again... what is the point of purposely killing a hundred thousand innocent people...

bj, don't even go there... i know what your thinking... :)

whoever this guy is that is saying this, isn't speaking for bush... we aren't fighting islam... we're fighting the 5-10% psychos that are in the religion...

Guest BlackJesus

[quote]what is the point of purposely killing a hundred thousand innocent people...

bj, don't even go there... i know what your thinking... [/quote]

[i][b]you made the point for me...... B)

that means I am doing my job...... you know that thing that clicked in your head when you typed that.....

that was me [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//19.gif[/img] [/b][/i]

Archived