Chick Ludwig says Browns want to give 3rd round pick for McCarron

And this is why you draft a qb every year. If someone is willing to overpay for AJ, make the trade and repeat the cycle.

As for the Browns, you really need good comp if you believe AJ will help them.

I could see their 2nd for AJ and our 6th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they want McCarron, it's to be their starter. Considering how many first rounders they've blown in recent years, they ought to offer more than a 3rd. Alex Smith went to KC for a high 2nd and 3rd so that would be the starting point. Or maybe McCarron plus #24 for #2. 

As someone stated earlier in this thread...We are'nt trading anyone to the browns unless it's a steal!!

We'll give you AJ for a first, Thomas and a player to be named later.

I look forward to Hue being fired at the end of the season, coming back to the Bengals for a season, then off somewhere else. We could spend years trading away QBs to Hue coached teams for their first round pick.

I'm not the best future teller but honestly I think AJ will surpass Dalton in terms of playoff results if he stays in Cincy. I wouldn't trade him to the Browns unless it's for multiple 1st and 2nd rounders. 

This!   A player like McCarron doesn't come around often and the fact we got him so deep in the draft makes it even sweeter.  His value to me as a insurance policy is far more valuable than anything were going to get in the draft this season. If our starting QB goes down we got a guy just as good to come in and to me that is priceless. Look at all the teams around the league that one guy gets hurt and their season is over. At least for us we have two guys that have to get hurt before our season gets shut down.

I would take their 2nd rounder (which is basically a 1st rounder at #32 overall). 

McCarron is going to be a free agent after the 2017 season and I'm sure he'll want to go somewhere and try to start at that point.

So all we're really giving up is two years worth of having a pretty good backup QB. Two years of a good (and cheap) backup QB definitely has value, but so does 4 cheap years of a 1st round talent we could grab at #32. 

To add some context to the conversation, I just googled up a 2-round mock draft and here are some of the players currently going in the 27-40 range:

LB Jaylon Smith

LB Darron Lee

S Vonn Bell

WR Josh Docstson

CB Kendall Fuller

DT Jarran Reed

I'd trade 4 years of any of those guys for 2 years of McCarron 

I would take their 2nd rounder (which is basically a 1st rounder at #32 overall). 

McCarron is going to be a free agent after the 2017 season and I'm sure he'll want to go somewhere and try to start at that point.

So all we're really giving up is two years worth of having a pretty good backup QB. Two years of a good (and cheap) backup QB definitely has value, but so does 4 cheap years of a 1st round talent we could grab at #32. 

To add some context to the conversation, I just googled up a 2-round mock draft and here are some of the players currently going in the 27-40 range:

LB Jaylon Smith

LB Darron Lee

S Vonn Bell

WR Josh Docstson

CB Kendall Fuller

DT Jarran Reed

I'd trade 4 years of any of those guys for 2 years of McCarron 

all of this. 

We should definitely be willing to trade McCarron if the price is right. Question is whether we should ask for more from the Browns than we would from some other team like the Texans. I'd say yes to the second question as Mike Brown has a record of fleecing Hue. From Hue's point of view, he's looking to move Manziel to get rid of the headache and recoup something. Maybe he can get a 3rd from the Cowboys for Johnny Football. Cleveland is set at backup QB with journeymen McCown and Davis. They need a starter and apparently AJ is the one Hue covets. That would let the Browns use their top pick on Bosa, Tunsil, Hargreaves or whoever. 

I'm not convinced AJ would be a success in Cleveland (nobody else has been). I don't see him as a franchise QB. But his value is high now that he's been in high level games without wilting. So it's probably time to sell if we get a good offer. There isn't a QB controversy in Cincinnati with Dalton firmly entrenched as the starter when he's healthy. We can find a decent backup QB without too much trouble. The usual suspects are available in free agency again this year. Names like McCoy, Henne, etc. So I'd trade AJ for a good offer, at least a high 2nd and 3rd which is what KC gave SF for Alex Smith when they wanted to get rid of him. After wasting first round picks on Quinn, Weeden, and Manziel, Cleveland might be happy to take a young QB with some upside and use their firsts at other positions.

I don't see how they could trade him. In just one 4th quarter he has shown more hope and promise than Dalton has in four post season games and AJ only had a few games under his belt as opposed to Dalton who had season upon season to prepare for his playoff flops.

You're forgetting the common denominator of the last 7 playoff losses. The real reason the drought has lived on. We'll never know what Dalton could've done this year. The regular season was different this year and the playoffs might have been. I don't care who the QB is as long as he can win some playoff games even with Marvin as coach since he isn't going anywhere.

We should definitely be willing to trade McCarron if the price is right. Question is whether we should ask for more from the Browns than we would from some other team like the Texans. I'd say yes to the second question as Mike Brown has a record of fleecing Hue. From Hue's point of view, he's looking to move Manziel to get rid of the headache and recoup something. Maybe he can get a 3rd from the Cowboys for Johnny Football. Cleveland is set at backup QB with journeymen McCown and Davis. They need a starter and apparently AJ is the one Hue covets. That would let the Browns use their top pick on Bosa, Tunsil, Hargreaves or whoever. 

I'm not convinced AJ would be a success in Cleveland (nobody else has been). I don't see him as a franchise QB. But his value is high now that he's been in high level games without wilting. So it's probably time to sell if we get a good offer. There isn't a QB controversy in Cincinnati with Dalton firmly entrenched as the starter when he's healthy. We can find a decent backup QB without too much trouble. The usual suspects are available in free agency again this year. Names like McCoy, Henne, etc. So I'd trade AJ for a good offer, at least a high 2nd and 3rd which is what KC gave SF for Alex Smith when they wanted to get rid of him. After wasting first round picks on Quinn, Weeden, and Manziel, Cleveland might be happy to take a young QB with some upside and use their firsts at other positions.

If they did trade AJ, I would like them to sign a legitimate backup instead of drafting a QB. Unless they get another steal like AJ in the 5th or later round. And I wouldn't want a floater QB vet like McCoy or Wheeden or Henne. I'd want somebody more established like Hasselbeck. Not Hasselbeck, but somebody that has real experience. Even if they have to spend a little money. On second thought, maybe Henne.

But I wouldn't trade AJ for less than a first round pick. MB can afford to hold out for a quitter caliber deal.

Archived