Chick Ludwig says Browns want to give 3rd round pick for McCarron

Anything short of the #2 pick is laughable. I think AJ might compete for the starting job in a year or two.

This.  Look at what teams pay to move up for a completely unproven college QB in the draft... and they want to send a third for a guy entering his third year, had a winning record and should have won a playoff game in his first four starts under "less than ideal" conditions (injury to starter)?  Yeah, call me when you have a Palmer-like deal on the table... and maybe not even then (within the division sounds like RGIII deal to me).

People are severely overrating McCarron if they think he's worth the #2 overall pick in the draft. 

The "should have won a playoff game" stuff is ridiculous. TJ Yates actually won a playoff game. Nobody's giving up a top 5 pick for him. And McCarron was thoroughly mediocre in the Pitt game. We were getting shutout after 3 quarters against one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL for fuck's sake. 

He's worth slightly more than a 3rd rounder and I'd pass on that offer, but nobody's going to give up a top 5 pick for him. That's insane. 

People are severely overrating McCarron if they think he's worth the #2 overall pick in the draft. 

The "should have won a playoff game" stuff is ridiculous. TJ Yates actually won a playoff game. Nobody's giving up a top 5 pick for him. And McCarron was thoroughly mediocre in the Pitt game. We were getting shutout after 3 quarters against one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL for fuck's sake. 

He's worth slightly more than a 3rd rounder and I'd pass on that offer, but nobody's going to give up a top 5 pick for him. That's insane. 

Agree here..We should keep him though...

There is a huge difference between his value to the Bengals vs. holding out on a hypothetical trade with a division rival, and his actual draft value.  None of these things are remotely close to each other, and anyone who equates them (not necessarily you, dude) is a fucking idiot.

There is a huge difference between his value to the Bengals vs. holding out on a hypothetical trade with a division rival, and his actual draft value.  None of these things are remotely close to each other, and anyone who equates them (not necessarily you, dude) is a fucking idiot.

Exactly.    Why would the Bengals cut their depth and help Cleveland out their decades long misery at that spot for just a 3rd?    For it to make sense they would need to get multiple decent picks or get in a spot to draft a franchise player in order to not be shuffling deck chairs.

There are so many differences between TJ and AJ it's not even funny. First off career TD-INT ratio is 6-2 for AJ and 6-8 for Yates. Completion % is 66% for McCarron and 58% for TJ. Passer rating is 97 for AJ to 74 for Yates. Plus the fact Yates didn't win any individual or conference awards in college in the weak ACC whereas AJ won 3 national championships, 1 BCS Offensive MVP, Maxwell Award and Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Trophy. 

He only slid down the draft board because Alabama's QB reputation and apparently he was really cocky in interviews and even said when asked what he was good at "winning" ? Or maybe it was the chest tattoo. Anyway, what I think is that QB's are the most variable crapshoot of the NFL draft. Bengals can draft a quality LB and some other need positions and still be in a good position to be #1 seed. AJ was in both games against Denver and Shittsburgh. Played pretty good for a de facto rookie in my book since he missed 6 weeks and didn't play any his first year. He's shown enough in my book to have the Bengals at least see what he's got before they trade him to a division rival. I think we can all agree that if Dalton goes down and AJ isn't there, the Bengals won't make the playoffs.

AJ's worth more to the Browns as a starter than he is to the Bengals as a backup. But there's no reason to do the Browns any favors so they should have to pay the going rate for a starting QB

I feel like I need to remind everyone how poorly Andy Dalton played in 2014. He played great this year and could have been an MVP candidate if he stayed healthy. But, Hue Jackson just left and he'll have to come back from his injury and work with a new OC. He still hasn't won a playoff game. Regression is something, even if you don't believe it will happen, you have to plan for as a GM. San Francisco didn't plan for it after Kaepernick made a Super Bowl. They dumped Alex Smith lickity-split and look at how Colin has regressed every game since the Super Bowl. Alex Smith was actually the better long term choice. Who knows if AJ might surpass AD at some point, but I wouldn't send him to a coach he's already played with in your own division. At least, send him to Arizona, please! ?

They aren't going to the playoffs next year, or even hitting .500. So why trade for a QB, when by the time you're about done rebuilding will be up for a new contract and can easily bolt outta town (or he could just flat out suck). That puts you in the bad position of having to either pay out a big contract or let him walk. Then you're right back to drafting one, again.

I'm sure the college QB's are REALLY hoping you trade for AJ though.

I feel like I need to remind everyone how poorly Andy Dalton played in 2014. He played great this year and could have been an MVP candidate if he stayed healthy. But, Hue Jackson just left and he'll have to come back from his injury and work with a new OC. He still hasn't won a playoff game. Regression is something, even if you don't believe it will happen, you have to plan for as a GM. San Francisco didn't plan for it after Kaepernick made a Super Bowl. They dumped Alex Smith lickity-split and look at how Colin has regressed every game since the Super Bowl. Alex Smith was actually the better long term choice. Who knows if AJ might surpass AD at some point, but I wouldn't send him to a coach he's already played with in your own division. At least, send him to Arizona, please! ?

Careful, opposing fan, talking smack about our players. We're well aware of Andy's history.

You know he was without Marvin Jones all year, Tyler Eifert for all but the first quarter of the first game, and AJ Green for 6 games, right?

How am I smack talking Andy? Andy was easily a top 5 QB this year and is the best shot the Bengals got of winning the Super Bowl. That being said, McCarron is both a dependable backup and 3 years younger with an upside. You keep both for as long as you can. Your defense is loaded and you can continue to draft needs (like LB) and offensive weapons for Andy and AJ. 

How am I smack talking Andy? Andy was easily a top 5 QB this year and is the best shot the Bengals got of winning the Super Bowl. That being said, McCarron is both a dependable backup and 3 years younger with an upside. You keep both for as long as you can. Your defense is loaded and you can continue to draft needs (like LB) and offensive weapons for Andy and AJ. 

You aren't it's just the way some people are wired around here. 

If they offer the farm you take it, if not, keep the guy until he's a FA. Someone will probably offer him a big contract and we'll get compensation anyway. Will most likely only be a late 3rd, but I'll take that for 2 more years of a cheap and reliable backup QB.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Archived