Why extending Tyler Eifert’s contract should be on the Bengals’ offseason agenda

Have this year, option contract year, and tag year at least. I'd love to see them do it now though because I think he will be a larger part of the offense outside of the red zone this year.   

I'd wait one more year because we do essentially have him locked up for 2 more (plus a 3rd with the franchise tag) and we have so many other guys hitting FA this offseason.

Obviously wouldn't dislike getting him extended if the price is right, but I'd be focusing on the guys who are set to hit FA sooner.

And Ertz couldn't even hold Eifert jock straps. Oh boy, Eifert is gonna wanna get paaaaaid

Structure.     Ertz's counts only 3.3 against the cap in 2016 and 5.6 in year 2017. 

Starting in 2018 his salaries jump which are not guaranteed unless he's worth it.  

Could easily look at this deal as 2 years with 5 annual renewals going through 2021.  

Tough call on this one.    As mentioned previously, Zach Ertz just signed a 5 year deal for $42.5 million with an $8 million signing bonus and $13.187 million fully guaranteed.  

We could risk it and place the tag on him just before the 2017 season.  The franchise tag forTE's in 2015 was $8.33 million.  By 2017 it could be roughly $11 or $12 million.  

Gronkowski signed his contract a couple of years ago for 6 years, $54 million with an $8 million signing bonus

and $12.9 fully guaranteed.  

If Ertz gets a deal averaging a little over $8 million a year, you'd think Eifert would get more.

A star tight end is becoming nearly a must for success in this league. Denver is kinda breaking the rules this year because of their D, but look at Cam and Olsen. The Bengals showed they had all it took and more the first half of the season, including a premiere tight end. Mitchell spearing Eifert was the catalyst for the eventual collapse. Not only was Mike not ejected for that, but by the wild card game, the Stealers were being awarded the ball for helmet to helmet hits. Tyler was lost for some games, and I worry if he'll get his on field swagger back. Bengal staff should have made a huge deal out of Mitchell's pre-meditated hit on Tyler the moment it happened.

A star tight end is becoming nearly a must for success in this league. Denver is kinda breaking the rules this year because of their D, but look at Cam and Olsen. The Bengals showed they had all it took and more the first half of the season, including a premiere tight end. Mitchell spearing Eifert was the catalyst for the eventual collapse. Not only was Mike not ejected for that, but by the wild card game, the Stealers were being awarded the ball for helmet to helmet hits. Tyler was lost for some games, and I worry if he'll get his on field swagger back. Bengal staff should have made a huge deal out of Mitchell's pre-meditated hit on Tyler the moment it happened.

huh? Owen Daniels and Vernon Davis are pretty good TEs

It's similar to AJ Green contract.   Bengals control Eifert the next 2 seasons.   In 2018 they could tag.     So they probably need to get him at an extension that would pay him over 20 mil the next 3 seasons to get him to sign.   That's what he could reasonably assume given his rookie deal, 5th year option they'll pick up soon and franchise tag.

The higher priority is Zeitler and Dre.  Both are working on 5th year options and the total represents big cap hits.  So you could do extensions that would be possible to lower or have the same amount of cap hit.   Even a little more if they want to front load. 

The only thing that scares me about Eifert (who I think is great) is he spends a lot of time dinged up.

I think this is a lil overblown actually. I mean Gronk, Olsen, Gates, etc...these top tight ends are always 'dinged up'. Kinda comes with the territory (more often than not) that these guys take a beating being top TE targets and all. 

Archived