Senior Bowl: Noah Spence - You are going to love this guy

Every year it seems like the board is going to fall in love with a HUGE talent that slides.    Last year was the WR (Green-Beckham)    Honey Bader.   Burfict.    Janoris Jenkins.   An endless list of value and dreams.

Look no further.    This is the man for this year.   Kicked out of the Big 10.   Dominated in the OVC.    Kentucky coaches in almost loss to EKU said he would be all-SEC player.

Have at it  Black Jesus this is your dude.    Featured in the Senior Bowl and with a GREAT showing about to set the DRAFT BOARDS on FIRE!   

I started a thread about Spence in the draft forum. He is absolutely a first round talent. He could be the pass rushing SAM/hybrid that people here have been wanting for years. If he is over his ecstasy addiction he would be intriguing. If he makes it to our 2, jump on him. Not sure I would risk 24 on him.  

The added Intrigue:   If the Bengals don't grab him.   The Stealers will. 

The media response if the Stealers draft him:  ... they have the leaders and systems in place to take on such a high value - high risk player.  They are the perfect team to keep him in-line off the field and turn this talented but troubled player into an NFL star on the field.

The media response if the Bengals draft him:  ... just another typical high-risk pick on a player with poor character that the Bengals are willing to gamble on due to his talent.  He'll wash out of the NFL in a few years after playing with a troubled team and a locker room full of thugs that lacks the leadership needed to help him off the field.

He won't make it to our 2nd round pick and with his past at OSU I don't see the Bengals

taking him at #24.  Like BBR said, the Bengals would take a beating in the media if they

took him at #24.  

The Bengals have been drafting well the last few drafts but with all the free agents we

have, the 2016 draft is one we can't afford to be messing around with potential character

risks.  At least not in my opinion.  

He won't make it to our 2nd round pick and with his past at OSU I don't see the Bengals

taking him at #24.  Like BBR said, the Bengals would take a beating in the media if they

took him at #24.  

The Bengals have been drafting well the last few drafts but with all the free agents we

have, the 2016 draft is one we can't afford to be messing around with potential character

risks.  At least not in my opinion.  

I could not agree more..We are not taking anyone in Round 1 that's a character risk. We have done that before and it didnt work out...TAke a bona fide good player with good character...

I agree that I wouldn't love a character risk in round 1, but I really don't think Marvin gives a shit what the media has to say.  They did take Dre after getting busted with weed, so its not like they won't take a calculated risk.

Sounds like he hasn't touched it since his last positive test.  Who knows what the money may do.  I'm sure Marvin and Urban talk, so it shouldn't be hard for Marvin to get a read if he falls.  Pass rushers fly up the board after the combine so we may not even get a shot.

Senior Bowl notes on Braxton Miller:

Brugler: “There’s so many athletes out there, but then there’s Braxton Miller. He’s a step above these guys. That’s no throwing shade on the other guys it’s just that Braxton Miller is so elite as an athlete – the body control, short-area quickness, the long speed – it’s all there.

“Obviously, he’s still raw and you could see that in his routes. He needs to learn better nuance, how to use his hands but a player that moves like he does … and he caught everything. I think he’s a natural athlete with quick reflexes.

“It’s all there on display so we’ll have to see how he improves throughout the week but he set the bar pretty high in that first practice.”

Miller also looked "smooth" fielding punts, according to Brugler, something he did not do with the Buckeyes that could increase his NFL value.

Noah Spence doesn't have enough value for the Bengals at 24.  In a 4-3, he's a guy without a position.

After the first round, I'll be screaming for the Bengals to take Braxton Miller every round until he's gone.  He's the type of weapon you could about ten different things with and drive opposing coordinators crazy.

For what it's worth, Daniel Jeremiah ranked Braxton Miller 46th in his top 50 prospects for the

2016 draft.  Michael Thomas ranked 43rd.  Two others, (WR's), ranked higher and one other at #45.

Seems like his "Top 50" is mostly defensive players.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000624732/article/ranking-top-50-prospects-for-2016-nfl-draft

Noah Spence doesn't have enough value for the Bengals at 24.  In a 4-3, he's a guy without a position.

After the first round, I'll be screaming for the Bengals to take Braxton Miller every round until he's gone.  He's the type of weapon you could about ten different things with and drive opposing coordinators crazy.

i'm hoping one of these days, and perhaps it will happen with the new DL coach, someone sits down and has a heart to heart with marvin about how slow, lumbering 280 lb RDEs don't have the necessary quicks to get to the QB. we need a speed guy there who can stay low to the ground and sharply turn the corner. no, michael johnson can't do that and never could, nor can will clarke, or the freak show from estonia.

there's a ton of 4-3 NFL defenses where noah spence would fit.

Braxton is off the charts athletically. I'd take him at 24.  He'll become a franchise player. Great team player. 

I'd hate to use a draft pick on someone so raw so high, but I'm not sure he's going to last to our second.  He has Randall Cobb/Percy Harvin written all over him.  Probably more explosive.  We let Randall get out of our backyard, I hope we don't let Braxton.

i'm hoping one of these days, and perhaps it will happen with the new DL coach, someone sits down and has a heart to heart with marvin about how slow, lumbering 280 lb RDEs don't have the necessary quicks to get to the QB. we need a speed guy there who can stay low to the ground and sharply turn the corner. no, michael johnson can't do that and never could, nor can will clarke, or the freak show from estonia.

there's a ton of 4-3 NFL defenses where noah spence would fit.

I'm sure Spence will get looks in the LB drills at the combine.  If he can do anything there, he could be a run down SLB/Nickel DE.

I haven't read much on Spence so it's good to hear that he's the best looking player at practice.

Apparently the DT position is stocked on both sides.    Best group they are saying in 10 years maybe 5/6 First round talents.

Reggie Raggland from Alabama has also been in a lot of write ups.

Here's the long-story on Spence from a Buckeye fan...

-Was a top 5 national recruit and #1 DE in the country in high school. Was committed to PSU before all the Joe Pa. stuff came out, sanctions, etc. He opened up his recruitment right around the time Urban Meyer was hired at OSU and flipped to the Buckeyes.

-Showed some flashes as a true frosh and then played a lot and racked up around 8 sacks as a true sophomore to lead the team. Bosa was a true freshman on that same team and was a better all-around player but Spence definitely made an impact as a speed rusher and was a good player.

-Got in trouble that offseason (before the bowl game I believe) for testing positive for ecstasy, which the Big 10 considers a PED. Tested positive again in the offseason despite knowing that he would be re-tested and was one-strike away from a life-time ban. OSU appealed trying to get the B1G to reclassify ecstasy as a recreational drug instead of a PED, but lost the appeal. Shitty rule, but it is what it is. Spence missed his junior season (in which OSU won the national championship) while OSU appealed. He transferred to EKU for his senior year. 

-The rumors around OSU were that he fell into a "rave" type scene. He was living with some rich white kids (think the sketch "Rich Dicks" from the Kroll Show) who just partied all the time. Couldn't stop even when he knew he was one strike away from getting the boot. Despite being only ~6 months from heading off to the NFL as a 1st round pick. Addiction? Immaturity? Stupidity? Bad Decision-making skills? Probably a bit of all of the above IMO.

-As a talent, I can see the Von Miller comparisons. Though I don't think he's as good an athlete or as good out in space. Don't see him being able to play LB in the 4-3 at all. Just a pure edge rusher in either the 3-4 or as a part-time player in the 4-3. Even as a part-timer, could be a double-digit sack guy in the 4-3. Definite first round talent, but not an elite top 5 pick type even if he had no off field issues IMO. 

-I have no idea how you evaluate him from an off-field perspective. Don't think he's a bad kid at all. But he made some really bad choices and from what I've heard it wasn't like an occasional thing with him. Did he just pull it together for a few months to get that big paycheck? Did he just get smarter about when he did stuff and the drug testing? Is he a new guy altogether? 

Archived