Mike Carey gets some love

.....but only from the guy who hired him.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/01/28/mike-carey-replay-official-cbs-support-sean-mcmanus/79473460/

When millions of people tune in to watch Super Bowl 50 on CBS between the Carolina Panthers and the Denver Broncos, there’s a good chance they will hear officiating expert Mike Carey.

And many — at least on social media — have expressed displeasure about that.

But amid the lead-up to the Feb. 7 broadcast, the network expressed a strong vote of support for Carey.

“I’ve seen some of the criticism, and I think some of it is very hurtful, quite frankly,” CBS Sports chairman Sean McManus said Thursday on a conference call with reporters.

“But Mike is learning his craft and, I think more often than not, he has gotten it right. But I’ll also say that he has disagreed a number of times in some very high profile situations with what the (replay) officials have come back with.”

The latest example came Sunday during CBS' AFC Championship Game telecast between the Broncos and the New England Patriots. Carey, who served as an NFL official for 19 seasons, is in his second year as the network’s rules analyst and gave his opinion on a play challenged by Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

The sequence occurred in the first quarter of the game, when Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning threw an incomplete pass that was overturned upon a review and ruled a lateral. Carey expressed his opinion that it was a forward pass and that the play would stand.

Instead, the Patriots took possession after replays clearly showed the ball to travel backwards.

“It’s funny, the vast majority of the calls that Mike has made have been correct,” McManus said. “I sit there on Sunday afternoon, and he’ll do sometimes, a dozen different cut-ins to our various regional games, and he’s almost always right.

“Having said that, there have been a couple of big situations where Mike has disagreed with the end result that the officials have made. It’s not uncommon for an announcer to question a call that a referee has made. Unfortunately, when Mike disagrees with the eventual call, he receives an awful lot of criticism. A lot of these calls are judgment calls.

"Mike has perhaps gone out on a limb more than he should in trying to guess or speculate what a call will be, but all he is giving is his opinion of what he would call if he were on the field. And if it’s a different result, I think people get frustrated. But I think people would understand that Mike is only giving his opinion.”

I have maintained that Carey knows the rule book better than anyone,   he just has a nonsensical logic in its application.  After listening to him and that two-faced ass, Mike Periera, make stupid ass judgements in real time,   I'm glad they are both gone from the game.

I think it's telling that the networks have resorted to hiring these shills in an attempt to make NFL officiating look even halfway legitimate.  20 years as a ref and he can't recognize a backwards pass even from the broadcast booth with a dozen different replay angles. 

Apparently not a very hard job to qualify for eh?

I honestly think the opposite.     I realize it's never going back to the old days.     For all sports and all levels not just the NFL refs were there to maintain order and to ensure the game got conducted to a certain level of standards.

It's apparent fans don't understand the rules so they are constantly yelling at coaches and refs incorrectly.   Technology is so great and available that the standard accurately calling rules has become so high it's impossible for any ref to comply.

That's what we are dealing with as NFL fans and just about every other league is suffering similar problems.    

Paul and Mike Brown have never been more correct than their stance against Instant Replay back in the late 80s.      The solution to resolve a lot of the officiating problems can be found in the lower levels of where the sport is played in which they can't afford the technology.    At the High School level it is drilled into you that if you want the catch to count hand the ball to the ref.   If you don't want the fumble hand the ball to the ref.   In many ways it's odd that our professional athletes have to do less than our school athletes in order to record a catch or avoid a fumble.

But it is funny and leads to odd moments when the NFL talking heads try to cover for the errors that are unavoidable at this point.   The standard has become more often than not they don't fuck shit up.  

There's no big money bet on high school football so no need to have hundreds of rules that nobody interprets the same. Makes the fixings easier in the NFL.

lol, no money bet on high school sports.      There's no beer sold at high school games either and bet everyone is bone sober. 

There's no big money bet on high school football so no need to have hundreds of rules that nobody interprets the same. Makes the fixings easier in the NFL.

Can I get an answer to this?   IF the league is funneling off some revenue from the Billion dollar sports betting industry.   How come the player's union hasn't held them at gunpoint insisting that revenue be accounted for in the salary cap or demand that they legalize their dealings and bring the revenue legally in house so it can be included in the salary cap?

Given the lack of post career benefits and the short career you just think former players would keep their mouth shut over unaccounted for revenue? 

Can I get an answer to this?   IF the league is funneling off some revenue from the Billion dollar sports betting industry.   How come the player's union hasn't held them at gunpoint insisting that revenue be accounted for in the salary cap or demand that they legalize their dealings and bring the revenue legally in house so it can be included in the salary cap?

Given the lack of post career benefits and the short career you just think former players would keep their mouth shut over unaccounted for revenue? 

Because the league would go totally under if this was exposed and then they would have nothing.Palms can be greased non puclicly.

Much goes towards protecting the dynamic (i.e. "Integrity) of the league. It has always had a certain degree of the Emperors New Clothes...just a lot more so now. 

I can still remember back in the old days before Replay Review, whatever hack color commentator would routinely (even if blatantly obvious to the contrary) say "yeah that's a good call by the official" and the eternal dismissal "he was right on top of the play".

Now they just cover each other on multi-tiered levels. Which is the way the league wants it.

Because the league would go totally under if this was exposed and then they would have nothing.Palms can be greased non puclicly.

Former players aren't getting anything now.   In fact many of them are negatively affected with health issues.   They've sued the league many times.

You think Reggie Williams is sitting on some big secret while he struggles to pay for the procedures to cut his leg off? 

Do you think the former players would rather be forced to fight Workers Compensation cases in California vs. blowing the lid off this grand scheme? 

Do you believe the government is corrupt only when they are caught or exposed?

I believe when people use a wide paint brush to classify thousands of entities under 1 label they are full of shit.    There is fraud and corruption in Government, however that doesn't lead me to believe that all Government is corrupt.  

There are well documented cases of former NFL athletes being flat out bankrupt.    There are plenty of documented cases of current/former players being involved criminally.

Do you think Aaron Hernandez wouldn't try to cut a deal to save his ass on murder chargers if he had this secret?   Rae Carruth would rather sit on death row instead of try to cut a deal?    Mike Vick is just going to willingly do time for dog fighting and then lose millions?

How did Pete Rose get busted?   Some of his friends got caught dealing roids and they ratted him out to try to save their ass.      How did Baseball get forced to deal with steroids?  Because Jose felt like he was black balled and decided to drop a couple dimes to enrich his lifestyle.

If there was any credible attempt of the NFL owners fixing the outcome of games there are enough former players with motives to expose that scheme.  

I believe when people use a wide paint brush to classify thousands of entities under 1 label they are full of shit.    There is fraud and corruption in Government, however that doesn't lead me to believe that all Government is corrupt.  

Classify? You mean like "Americans", or "Homo Sapiens". Well I could go on with "classifications" of thousands or more things that aren't full of shit... Or was that statement of yours another example of painting with a wide brush?

There are well documented cases of former NFL athletes being flat out bankrupt.    There are plenty of documented cases of current/former players being involved criminally.

Do you think Aaron Hernandez wouldn't try to cut a deal to save his ass on murder chargers if he had this secret?   Rae Carruth would rather sit on death row instead of try to cut a deal?    Mike Vick is just going to willingly do time for dog fighting and then lose millions?

How did Pete Rose get busted?   Some of his friends got caught dealing roids and they ratted him out to try to save their ass.      How did Baseball get forced to deal with steroids?  Because Jose felt like he was black balled and decided to drop a couple dimes to enrich his lifestyle.

If there was any credible attempt of the NFL owners fixing the outcome of games there are enough former players with motives to expose that scheme.  

Excuse me , continue to be naive. I'm gonna go out and see how well i can piss up a drainpipe now. :)

Geez, Scharm..."fixing" is not the exact word, but "dynamic" might be. 

Rules get changed from the top down. It is then up to the underlings to enact/enforce them. The rules "dynamic" have changed dramatically in the past 30 years. They affect outcomes of games. No "fixing" is necessary--the over-rules and over-regulating take care of that. And the NFL loves it.

Geez, Scharm..."fixing" is not the exact word, but "dynamic" might be. 

Rules get changed from the top down. It is then up to the underlings to enact/enforce them. The rules "dynamic" have changed dramatically in the past 30 years. They affect outcomes of games. No "fixing" is necessary--the over-rules and over-regulating take care of that. And the NFL loves it.

Very well said. If we wanna split hairs, fixing may be a poor choice of a word.

Mike Carey is incompetent, I still remember when he cost us a game vs. the Bucs when he called a phanton roughing the passer penalty on Justin Smith at the end of the game. The guy is a hack, 

Yep,you beat me to it.Clean sack,Justin Smith didn't even hit Gradkowski,he just pulled him to the ground AND stripped the ball away from him,which was recovered by the Bengals.

That was the year we missed the playoffs by a game.That game which was robbery,and Graham's 39 yard missed FG against the Stealers cost us another 1st round loss. =O

Archived