Scalia Dead

Jamie_B

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/13/politics/supreme-court-justice-antonin-scalia-dies-at-79/

Antonin Scalia, Supreme Court justice, dies at 79

(CNN)U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, a leading conservative voice on the high court, has died at the age of 79, a government source and a family friend told CNN on Saturday.

Scalia died in his sleep during a visit to Texas.

A government official said Scalia went to bed Friday night and told friends he wasn't feeling well. Saturday morning, he didn't get up for breakfast. And the group he was with for a hunting trip left without him.

Someone at the ranch went in to check on him and found him unresponsive.

RELATED: Antonin Scalia fast facts

The U.S. Marshals Service is not investigating Scalia's death, an official told CNN. They are helping to arrange for his body to be returned.

They were present because marshals sometimes help supplement security for traveling justices.

In a statement, Chief Justice John Roberts said he and other justices were "saddened" to hear of Scalia's passing.

"He was an extraordinary individual and jurist, admired and treasured by his colleagues," Roberts said. "His passing is a great loss to the court and the country he so loyally served. We extend our deepest condolences to his wife Maureen and his family."

Deputy White House Press Secretary Eric Schultz said President Barack Obama was informed of Scalia's passing on Saturday afternoon.

"The President and First Lady extend their deepest condolences to Justice Scalia's family. We'll have additional reaction from the President later today," Schultz said.

Scalia's death in an election year sets up a titanic confirmation tussle over his successor on the bench. The already challenging task of getting a Democratic president's nominee through a Republican-controlled Senate will made even more difficult as the fight over Scalia's replacement will emerge as a dominant theme of an already wild presidential election.

"His departure leaves a huge political fight in the offing because this is a court with five Republican appointees (and) four Democratic appointees," CNN Senior Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin said.

Major presence on high court

Appointed to the court in 1986 by President Ronald Reagan, Scalia was a conservative icon who transformed the court by instilling in it his belief that judges should follow the precise words of the Constitution and not apply a modern interpretation.

He was the first justice of Italian-American heritage and passed through confirmation with a unanimous vote.

Scalia changed oral arguments as he became an active participant with tough questions for advocates.

He will be best known, perhaps, for his landmark decision District of Columbia v. Heller, holding that the Second Amendment protects the right to posses a firearm at home. He was a critic of Roe v. Wade and dissented in last term's same-sex marriage cases.

Scalia caused a stir as recently as December when he made controversial comments during a hearing about the future of a program at the University of Texas that takes race into consideration as one factor of admissions.

Scalia pushed a point that had been made in some friend of the court briefs filed in the case. It concerns a theory called "Mismatch" popularized by authors Stuart Taylor Jr. and Richard Sander that suggests affirmative action programs don't always benefit minorities.

Although Roberts had mentioned the theory in a different case in 2013, Scalia's language was blunt.

"There are those who contend that it does not benefit African-Americans to get them into the University of Texas, where they do not do well, as opposed to having them go to a less-advanced school, a slower-track school where they do well," he said.

"One of the briefs pointed out that most of the black scientists in this country don't come from schools like the University of Texas," he said.

Conservative in thought, not in personality

The jaunty jurist was able to light up, or ignite, a room with his often brash demeanor and wicked sense of humor, grounded always in a profound respect for American law and its constitutional traditions.

"What can I say," was a favorite phrase of the man colleagues knew as "Nino." As it turned out, quite a lot.

"Justice Scalia had an irrepressibly pugnacious personality," said Edward Lazarus, a former Supreme Clerk law clerk who wrote about the experience in "Closed Chambers."

RELATED: 'Jiggery-pokery': The best lines from Antonin Scalia's Obamacare dissent

"And even in his early years of the Court, that came out at oral argument when he was the most aggressive questioner. And behind the scenes, where the memos he would write -- what were called 'Ninograms' -- inside the court had a real galvanizing effect on the debate among the justices."

A sharp mind combined with a sharp pen allowed Scalia to make his point, both to the pleasure and disappointment of his colleagues and the public.

"He could be belligerent, he was obviously very candid about he felt about things," said Joan Biskupic, a USA Today reporter who wrote a biography of Scalia. "He loved to call it as he saw it, completely not politically correct. In fact, he prided himself on not being PC on the bench in court."

His New York and Mediterranean roots -- "I'm an Italian from Queens" he was fond of saying -- helped fashion a love of words and debate, combining street smarts with a well-calculated conservative view of the law and its limits on society.

"He was very good with audiences that weren't predisposed to like him," said Paul Clement, a former Scalia law clerk. "He was incredibly disarming and charming in his own way."

Republicans are the worst anymore. I never left them, they left me.

I can't see myself voting Republican ever again. They have made it clear they don't give a damn

about what's best for this Country for years now. How anyone that's isn't a billionaire or only cares 

about 1 or 2 issues can vote for them is mind boggling to me. 

They're already going against the Constitution because it doesn't meet their agenda.

But they're always pointing to it when it does. They're not going to win this one.

In a perfect World they block his nominee and either Hillary or Bernie appoints Obama to the SCOTUS. lol

I voted for Obama and will vote for whom ever wins the democratic nomination. My belief is Obama will carefully choose a Supreme Court justice. That will preserve his legacy on issues such as National health insurance and gay-rights. Actually don't be shocked if that person is openly gay. I have no problem with it. It'll be just one more historical boundary to be witnessed in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Republicans are the worst anymore. I never left them, they left me.

I can't see myself voting Republican ever again. They have made it clear they don't give a damn

about what's best for this Country for years now. How anyone that's isn't a billionaire or only cares 

about 1 or 2 issues can vote for them is mind boggling to me. 

They're already going against the Constitution because it doesn't meet their agenda.

But they're always pointing to it when it does. They're not going to win this one.

In a perfect World they block his nominee and either Hillary or Bernie appoints Obama to the SCOTUS. lol

Hillary already said she wants to appoint Obama even before this happened

Yeah but that was before there was an opening. The most Conservative of them all creating that opening.

And Republicans vowing to block any and every nominee. 

Saw that McConnell is a hypocrite since he voted for Kennedy in Reagans final year.

Wonder if blocking Obama on this could lose them the senate?

I voted for Obama and will vote for whom ever wins the democratic nomination. My belief is Obama will carefully choose a Supreme Court justice. That will preserve his legacy on issues such as National health insurance and gay-rights. Actually don't be shocked if that person is openly gay. I have no problem with it. It'll be just one more historical boundary to be witnessed in my lifetime.

Even the most corrupt, murderous, lying and manipulative scumbag we've ever seen run for POTUS? 

Even the most corrupt, murderous, lying and manipulative scumbag we've ever seen run for POTUS? 

Really no choice once nominee is chosen. I'm definitely not voting Republican. Casting an Independent vote is a wasted vote. I have no idea who the final player will be. Whom ever it is gets my support. I'm sure if your a republican ,you'll support your final nominee as well.

If I'm not mistaken there are still a number of important cases pending, cases that won't be heard until he is replaced.  Hopefully, with all due respect to the family of the deceased, with less of a shithead.

Obamas facing an uphill battle with a republican run Senate. They promised to filibuster anyone he chooses. With his lame duck status this will be a very difficult battle. With his legacy at stake I'm sure he's going to spend the next few months, getting his choice seated.

Obamas facing an uphill battle with a republican run Senate. They promised to filibuster anyone he chooses. With his lame duck status this will be a very difficult battle. With his legacy at stake I'm sure he's going to spend the next few months, getting his choice seated.

It's not the Republicans at large that concern me so much as the bible-thumping Luddite back-current ignorance they're rallying around these days.  We need to get it through our heads that a lot of citizens DGAF what the Bible says & that's ok.  Or, in fact, know what it says better than most of the people who think it should be law & are baffled by the idea.  Appointing an openly pro-death judge would be a feat.  Yes on death penalties & abortion?

My oldest boy had children 4 & 6 years of age. His life was taken by 4 individuals in an armed robbery. It's been 10 years. I wish those f....ks had gotten the death penalty. They'll be released someday. My Grandchildren lost their father and my Son. Yes on death . Yes on a woman's choice

My oldest boy had children 4 & 6 years of age. His life was taken by 4 individuals in an armed robbery. It's been 10 years. I wish those f....ks had gotten the death penalty. They'll be released someday. My Grandchildren lost their father and my Son. Yes on death . Yes on a woman's choice

That's awful sorry to hear that. You have my condolences. 

And I agree with you. I think both are choices.

One chooses to forfeit their life when they commit crimes like that.

The purpose of jail is to rehabilitate. Not feed and shelter for life. 

And the majority of people that are anti-abortion don't want to do shit to help 

that child after it's born. They're not Pro-Life they're Pro-Birth. 

I see people talk about how much more divided this Country is because of Obama. I'm like you must be ignoring

all of racist, xenophobe, misogynistic, homophobe, dumbfucks that want it to be 1950 again.

Or maybe it's because you're one too.

My family in Ohio hates me. :shrug:

Yeah it's troubling with what's going on today.. I fear for my Grandchildren's future .Here is a quote I once read and its fitting for what's going on with both the Democrats and Republicans.

Be careful when you blindly follow the masses. Sometimes the " M" in masses is silent.

That's awful sorry to hear that. You have my condolences. 

And I agree with you. I think both are choices.

One chooses to forfeit their life when they commit crimes like that.

The purpose of jail is to rehabilitate. Not feed and shelter for life. 

And the majority of people that are anti-abortion don't want to do shit to help 

that child after it's born. They're not Pro-Life they're Pro-Birth. 

Thank you.

Obama Compiles Shortlist Of Gay, Transsexual Abortion Doctors To Replace Scalia

1600.jpg

WASHINGTON—Moving quickly to begin the process of filling the unexpected vacancy on the Supreme Court bench, President Obama spent much of the weekend compiling a shortlist of gay, transsexual abortion doctors to replace the late Antonin Scalia, White House sources confirmed Monday. “These are all exemplary candidates with strong homosexual values and proven records of performing partial-birth abortions, but am I missing anyone?” Obama reportedly asked himself while reviewing his list of queer, gender-nonconforming, feminist Planned Parenthood employees, all of whom were also said to be black immigrants. “I definitely have enough post-op transsexuals on the list, but it is a little light on pre-op candidates. And I should probably add a cop killer or two on here just to round out my options.” Sources later confirmed that Obama was attempting to rapidly narrow the list down to the single best nominee to submit to the Senate in hopes of wrapping up confirmation hearings before his choice had to leave to attend the Hajj pilgrimage.

Archived