Scalia Dead

Jamie_B

Really no choice once nominee is chosen. I'm definitely not voting Republican. Casting an Independent vote is a wasted vote. I have no idea who the final player will be. Whom ever it is gets my support. I'm sure if your a republican ,you'll support your final nominee as well.

No, I'd pick Sanders over Bush or Rubio.

With this Apple encryption issue. It'll likely go to the Supreme Court. I just hope the fed doesn't get the green light. This would be devastating to privacy around the globe

Would it really though? Our right to privacy has been systematically gutted over the last 15 years via the Patriot Act & so on.  I mean it would be bad, sure, but I can't help but feel like that ship's already sailed & the same people who were saying "who cares if you don't have anything to hide" are suddenly up in arms because it threatens their precious iCrap.  

It's the security of knowing when traveling abroad or here at home. Should I lose my phone or its stolen. It'll erase after 10 attempts. I pretty much tossed my laptop and keep everything secure about me and my family on this device. Should this backdoor tech be created. There's no doubt in my mind that it'll be black marketed . This phone and my 10 password self destruct. Is my one safe haven from an over reaching government and thieves .I like having this control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you misunderstand what this app is doing vs what Apple is suggesting. This app has to be installed with the user/phone's permission meaning for it to even work as they describe you have to first give it permission to do what it does, then yes it can do all that, that's not the same thing as a back door. Which is why as the article hints at they cant get into his phone because this app was never installed on it.

So would you go to the apps store and download software that allows remote access to your mobile phone and decrypts your passcode? Because that's the only way it gets put onto your phone. Apple is saying trust no one. Not even them . That's why they don't put this software in their phones. Basically this article is moot because it doesn't open the phone. The 10 attempt self destruct was ingenious. Mission impossible shit in the palm of your hands

C'mon guys, don't be naive.  Of course you're not going to hop on the iMart, d/l & install Security Exploit 2016.  You'll d/l the hot new game Angry Iguanas 2016 or some such trojan horse app and buried in the code will be the exact same shit. The point is that the phone is entirely crackable, all Apple would have to do is push the crack to dude's phone like a mandatory software update, which is exactly what the DoJ is asking them to do.  It's great they're making it an issue from a privacy standpoint but don't be fooled into thinking your phone is some kind of handheld Fort Knox of security just because they're dragging their feet about it this time and issuing press releases.  Maybe you think AppleCorp are just such golly-gee swell fellows they would never do such a thing, or that they're such brilliant geniuses that no 3rd party could ever possibly figure out a way to do the same thing or, more likely, trick you into doing it for them.  The feds could probably just spoof an over-the-air update themselves that makes it seem like a legit install but that's a helluva lot more work than having the OEM do it for them.  That's what this is about, not "oh the NSA & all the the rest of the government alphabet soup of crypto & IT security experts could never figure out this awesome iPhone".  Again, don't be naive.  This is free advertising.

C'mon guys, don't be naive.  Of course you're not going to hop on the iMart, d/l & install Security Exploit 2016.  You'll d/l the hot new game Angry Iguanas 2016 or some such trojan horse app and buried in the code will be the exact same shit. The point is that the phone is entirely crackable, all Apple would have to do is push the crack to dude's phone like a mandatory software update, which is exactly what the DoJ is asking them to do.  It's great they're making it an issue from a privacy standpoint but don't be fooled into thinking your phone is some kind of handheld Fort Knox of security just because they're dragging their feet about it this time and issuing press releases.  Maybe you think AppleCorp are just such golly-gee swell fellows they would never do such a thing, or that they're such brilliant geniuses that no 3rd party could ever possibly figure out a way to do the same thing or, more likely, trick you into doing it for them.  The feds could probably just spoof an over-the-air update themselves that makes it seem like a legit install but that's a helluva lot more work than having the OEM do it for them.  That's what this is about, not "oh the NSA & all the the rest of the government alphabet soup of crypto & IT security experts could never figure out this awesome iPhone".  Again, don't be naive.  This is free advertising.

Your being naïve and not business smart. Of cause Apple could do this via software update, but only after a Supreme Court ruling orders it. Why would the richest company on the entire planet jeopardize it's reputation and brand without exhausting every possible resource available to them. Taking it to the highest court saves face. After the ruling simply don't do any updates. Pre judgement phones will go for big bucks on eBay

So as it turns out, the problem is that some dimbulb dicked around with the phone in question and it's no longer making iCloud backups.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/san-bernardino-shooters-apple-id-passcode-changed-government/story?id=37066070

Apple could have recovered information from the iPhone had the iCloud password not been reset, the company said

I assume none of you are using cloud storage.

These are reuters & abcnews stories, don't blame the messenger.

lol, come on man neither of the stories really delve into the technical feasibility and what it means if Apple complies. Rutuers and Abc News arent exactly technical news sites

Here try something like Cnet at least

http://www.cnet.com/news/its-apple-vs-the-fbi-apple-byte-extra-crunchy-podcast-ep-26/

'meh you're clearly not interested in the technical merits of Apple's point of view

moving on

Yeah he's totally missing the point. When Apple says they never built s backdoor . I'm buying it that Not even their technicians can hack these devices. They've spent hundreds of millions of dollars perfecting their encryption software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/19/politics/donald-trump-apple-boycott/index.html

Trump calls for Apple boycott

Pawley's Island, South Carolina (CNN)Donald Trump on Friday called for a boycott against Apple until the technology giant helps the FBI break into the iPhone of one of the San Bernardino shooters.

"Boycott Apple until such time as they give that information," Trump told a crowded room of supporters during a town hall-style event here just one day before the South Carolina GOP primary.

"Apple ought to give the security for that phone, OK. What I think you ought to do is boycott Apple until such a time as they give that security number. How do you like that? I just thought of it. Boycott Apple," Trump said.

"The phone's not even owned by this young thug that killed all these people. The phone's owned by the government, OK, it's not even his phone," Trump said. "But (Apple CEO) Tim Cook is looking to do a big number, probably to show how liberal he is. But Apple should give up, they should get the security or find other people.

While Trump was speaking, his Twitter account tweeted a Fox News poll from an iPhone. Later Friday, he tweeted, "I use both iPhone & Samsung. If Apple doesn't give info to authorities on the terrorists I'll only be using Samsung until they give info."

Soon after, he tweeted, "Boycott all Apple products until such time as Apple gives cellphone info to authorities regarding radical Islamic terrorist couple from Cal.

A senior Apple executive said the tech giant is in fine company based on other people Trump has attacked. The executive said the company is fighting on behalf of its customers.

Trump's comments come days after Cook said in an open letter that his company was opposing a federal judge's order to provide the FBI with security software to break into one of the San Bernardino terrorist's iPhones.

Cook argued in his open letter that complying with the judge's order would build "a backdoor to the iPhone," which Cook said he considers "too dangerous to create."

Trump is no stranger to calling for boycotts of Fortune 500 companies. He also previously called for a boycott of Macy's after the retail giant pulled Trump's line of clothing from its stores due to Trump's heated rhetoric over undocumented Mexican immigrants.

lol, come on man neither of the stories really delve into the technical feasibility and what it means if Apple complies. Rutuers and Abc News arent exactly technical news sites

Here try something like Cnet at least

http://www.cnet.com/news/its-apple-vs-the-fbi-apple-byte-extra-crunchy-podcast-ep-26/

I don't get it. If I commit a serious crime all of my shit will be seized and searched.

There is no trunk that can't be unlocked. No closet that won't be opened ect.

I saw the FBI seizing computers at Jared Fogle's house. They got his phone too.

The thing is he didn't kill people and is still alive to open it. I don't think Apple or any other

company should be building shit that can't be accessed if the person is killed without 

a huge risk of wiping out everything on it. They can protect privacy without doing all of that. 

What really sucks is. Should Cook defy a court order on March 22. He could be jailed for obstruction of justice. How far is he willing to take this? Hopefully his lawyers can keep him out of jail until a Supreme Court hearing. Without the 9th judge. This could be a while. Also... China and Russia are salivating knowing that a backdoor to iPhone will be developed. You can't open Pandora's box. Than expect them not to exploit it. Obama knows releasing this technology would be devastating to individuals in oppressing countries. He's publicly said it himself. Than again this is the same president that has an Arab contractor working on Air Force One...I don't get that either. I voted for him but some of these decisions are displeasing.

What really sucks is. Should Cook defy a court order on March 22. He could be jailed for obstruction of justice. How far is he willing to take this? Hopefully his lawyers can keep him out of jail until a Supreme Court hearing. Without the 9th judge. This could be a while. Also... China and Russia are salivating knowing that a backdoor to iPhone will be developed. You can't open Pandora's box. Than expect them not to exploit it. Obama knows releasing this technology would be devastating to individuals in oppressing countries. He's publicly said it himself. Than again this is the same president that has an Arab contractor working on Air Force One...I don't get that either. I voted for him but some of these decisions are displeasing.

I don't see why a program has to be developed. Just disable the old one.

I am sure someone there has the capacity to boot it up in something like safe mode or something. I understand privacy concerns. But we also have terrorist, mass killer and pedophile concerns ect. You can't worry just about your privacy and ignore the fact you're making perfect tools for them.  There has to be a happy medium. It shouldn't be all one way or the other.

A backdoor would have to be built into future iOS systems. Even the FBI & NSA have admitted this publicly owned phone is not hackable because of its Dynamics. After the Snowden incident. Can this technology in the wrong ( water boarding is OK) hands be trusted. I'm a grandfather and worry about my grandchildren's future and the decisions my generation make. It would be a tragedy. that my generation unknowingly was actually the one .George Orwell wrote about in 1984 . Big brother needs to find another way around this technological conundrum.

Archived