Bengals hope young receiver duo could replace Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu

Bengals hope young receiver duo could replace Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu

9:00 AM ET
  • harvey_coley_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
    Coley HarveyESPN Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- What does running the 40-yard dash in 4.27 seconds get a football players who's fresh out of college?

If his name is Mario Alford, it's an NFL contract and immediately inflated expectations.

While it's safe to say the seventh-round pick didn't make much impact during his rookie year (he was active for only one game this past season), he and another young receiver could turn 2016 into a breakout season depending on what happens for the Cincinnati Bengals in free agency.

Marvin Jones is understandably looking for a big payday and Mohamed Sanu is reportedly looking for a way out of Cincinnati. If one or both of the veterans leave, the Bengals will most certainly draft one or two receivers. But they also hope Alford or third-year receiver James Wright will more immediately transition into the spots that could be vacated by Jones or Sanu.

The speedy Mario Alford didn't get the opportunity to make an impact during his rookie season. AP Photo/John Minchillo

At the NFL combine Wednesday, offensive coordinator Ken Zampese shared what he's looking for from Alford and Wright.

On Alford, Zampese said: "We have to have a spring out of him where when we watch him play it says, 'I know exactly what I'm doing. I'm going a million miles an hour and I'm fearless, and I catch everything around me.' For him, I'm really looking forward to seeing him make a big jump in his play speed, play after play, and the consistency of technique, the consistency of the hands. He's certainly got a good amount of skill to do all that.

"I can't wait to visit with him to do all that and to see where his mind's at and just to get to know him a little bit more so I can help push him in directions that he hadn't been able to push himself at the moment."

Alford had just one catch for 15 yards in his lone appearance in 2015.

As for Wright, 2016 could be a bounceback year after knee surgery sacked him all of last season. Zampese isn't quite sure where things stand for Wright from a medical standpoint, but he was firm in stating that he wants Wright to factor heavily into his offense once fully healthy.

"He's a big part of what we're going to do," Zampese said. "That guy can run forever, he's tough as nails and he says nothing. He just goes and works, and I love him for that. ... Those are the kind of guys we want to bring in our building."

Wright was just starting to break out as a dependable third-down option near the end of the 2014 season when he first suffered a knee injury that ended his season. He landed awkwardly on the knee while catching a pass that converted a third down. He tried to get going again the following spring, but by training camp the knee hadn't progressed enough. He was Cincinnati's first injured reserve casualty of 2015.

"We're really looking for good things from him," Zampese said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/198714/bengals-hope-young-receiver-duo-could-replace-marvin-jones-mohamed-sanu

"He's a big part of what we're going to do," Zampese said

The 2nd-year guy with like 15 career catches that's coming off microfacture surgery? That guy's a big part of what you're going to do?

k..

Why do fans, who do not see what guys do in practice every day, so readily doubt coaches who do see what goes on in practice every day? 

Why do fans, who do not see what guys do in practice every day, so readily doubt coaches who do see what goes on in practice every day? 

Oh, is this guy practicing? I guess when I read "Zampese isn't quite sure where things stand for Wright from a medical standpoint" I thought Zampese wasn't sure where things stood for Wright from a medical standpoint.  How foolish of me.

Oh, is this guy practicing? I guess when I read "Zampese isn't quite sure where things stand for Wright from a medical standpoint" I thought Zampese wasn't sure where things stood for Wright from a medical standpoint.  How foolish of me.

Now?  No.  But he did practice in 2014.  They know what they have better than we do.

Which is not to say they are never wrong.  But given how well they have done building a roster I lean towards giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Now?  No.  But he did practice in 2014.  They know what they have better than we do.

Which is not to say they are never wrong.  But given how well they have done building a roster I lean towards giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Ah, you're missing my point.  I thought Wright looked pretty good too in limited snaps. Since then, however, he has suffered a major & potentially career-ending injury. That being the case, expecting him to be a "big part" of the offense seems premature.

Ah, you're missing my point.  I thought Wright looked pretty good too in limited snaps. Since then, however, he has suffered a major & potentially career-ending injury. That being the case, expecting him to be a "big part" of the offense seems premature.

Again though, they know the status of his health better than we do.

I think Mario Alford may be able to take Mohamed Sanu's spot in the slot.  It's still hard to tell because he only

appeared in one game last year with 1 reception for 15 yards.  He seems to be an Andrew Hawkins clone though.

I seem to recall that quite a few people were bummed when Hawkins went to Cleveland, even with Sanu still on

the roster.  As for James Wright, he was buried on the depth chart in 2014, then had his knee injury which required the dreaded "microfracture"

surgery.  Burfict came back from that surgery pretty well but were talking about 2 different people playing 2

different positions.  If Wright can even get healthy and on the field, that's a start but I don't think anyone's expecting

him to be the #2 WR come next year.  

You also have to keep in mind who wrote the article, (Coley Harvey).  The only other WR's currently under contract and on the

roster besides A.J. Green are James Wright, Mario Alford, Jake Kumerow and Michael Bennett.  Kumerow and Bennett both

undrafted free agents.  Bennett is so obscure that if you look up Michael Bennett, Bengals WR, on NFL.com they have a picture

of Michael Bennett, Seahawks, DE for his profile picture lol  http://www.nfl.com/player/michaelbennett/2554436/profile

I think it's safe to say the Bengals aren't totally depending on these 2 to replace Jones and Sanu.  I could see the Bengals 

drafting 2 WR's this year even if Marvin Jones is resigned.  

This is nothing but "teamspeak."  It pumps up the players on the roster and puts a little pressure on the FAs if they think the Bengals may not feel they need them.  It means nothing.  If after watching Tobin and Lewis build a team full of talent over the past half-dozen years you think they are going into training camp with Wright and Alford as numbers 2 and 3 WR I've got a famous bridge to sell you.

This is nothing but "teamspeak."  It pumps up the players on the roster and puts a little pressure on the FAs if they think the Bengals may not feel they need them.  It means nothing.  If after watching Tobin and Lewis build a team full of talent over the past half-dozen years you think they are going into training camp with Wright and Alford as numbers 2 and 3 WR I've got a famous bridge to sell you.

Exactly. There will be a WR or 2 in the draft/FA, unless they re-sign both MJ and Mo.

Good grief can we stop defending everything all the time?

Absolutely. I'd much rather Zampese comes out and says "now Jones and Sanu are off we're royally fucked with Mr Gimpy Knee and Old Stone Hands as our backups. I'm putting the rest of the league on notice that we'll be using our picks to draft WRs".

Jings.

Harvey sucks balls. Why can't we get a decent writer? The headline reads like the Bengals are writing off Marvin and Mo and moving on. I would think the coaches are hoping to retain them instead of speculating replacing them.

Nobody on the Bengals says anything in the article about hoping the young WRs can replace Marv and Mo. They just comment on their progress. Harvey thinkshe can speak for us when he obviously can't write a decent article for us.

If you really read what Zampese is saying about Alford, it's actually pretty negative. Implies that he didn't know what he was doing, wasn't playing fast and wasn't catching the ball real well last year. The coach speak implies that maybe he'll be able to improve and do those things next season, but he's saying he didn't do any of those things as a rookie.

I buy into Wright as a potential 4th receiver a little bit more because he actually did look pretty good as a rookie. But the knee's a major question mark. He's a very good special teamer, so if he's healthy, I think he makes the team as the 5th receiver.

I don't think they are going to want to head into training camp with either of these guys as one of their top 4 on the depth chart, no matter what spin they're trying to put out there now. They have major work to do at WR in terms of adding depth.

If you really read what Zampese is saying about Alford, it's actually pretty negative. Implies that he didn't know what he was doing, wasn't playing fast and wasn't catching the ball real well last year. The coach speak implies that maybe he'll be able to improve and do those things next season, but he's saying he didn't do any of those things as a rookie.

I buy into Wright as a potential 4th receiver a little bit more because he actually did look pretty good as a rookie. But the knee's a major question mark. He's a very good special teamer, so if he's healthy, I think he makes the team as the 5th receiver.

I don't think they are going to want to head into training camp with either of these guys as one of their top 4 on the depth chart, no matter what spin they're trying to put out there now. They have major work to do at WR in terms of adding depth.

Could'nt agree more...Depending on whether they re sign Sanu and Marvin Jones they are definitely adding WR depth through either the draft or free agency

"He's a big part of what we're going to do," Zampese said

The 2nd-year guy with like 15 career catches that's coming off microfacture surgery? That guy's a big part of what you're going to do?

k..

I know, drafted many rounds apart, but the same was said when they said that about Eifert. Lots of scoffing and gnazhing of teeth.

Archived