NFL Salary Cap 2016: Bengals have $7.5 million of carryover money

It was a wise move by the Bengals to leave a lot of carryover cap space in 2015 with impending free agents like George Iloka, Marvin Jones and Reggie Nelson needing to be re-signed in 2016.

It won't be long until NFL free agency begins, and the Cincinnati Bengals will once again have plenty of money to spend.

Once again, the Bengals are among the NFL leaders in carryover cap space, coming in with $7,587,902 that will now be part of their 2016 cap space, the NFLPA announced today. The leftover cap space a team has after the previous league year ends is called carryover cap and that money is later applied to the following league year.

Every NFL team elected to carry over unused salary cap space from 2015. The smallest carryover amount is $11,587 by the Seattle Seahawks, and the largest is $32,774,928 by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Though the new salary cap has yet to be set, Over The Cap projects the Bengals will have around $38 million for this offseason. They've factored in projected carryover numbers, though it's unclear if their expectation is the exact amount the NFLPA just announced.

Only eight NFL teams have more carryover space than the Bengals. There's no question they'll need every bit of it with impending free agents like George IlokaMarvin Jonesand Reggie Nelson and Adam Jones needing to be re-signed.

In all, the total carryover amount from 2015 is $203,963,112, putting the average carryover per team at $6.4 million. Once the 2016 salary cap is set, the carryover amount and other adjustments from the 2015 season will be combined for each team's official salary cap for 2016. Here's the carryover amounts for all 32 teams:

Club

Carryover Amount

Arizona Cardinals

$3,031,663

Atlanta Falcons

$3,905,771

Baltimore Ravens

$1,633,944

Buffalo Bills

$4,467,331

Carolina Panthers

$3,731,200

Chicago Bears

$867,589

Cincinnati Bengals

$7,587,902

Cleveland Browns

$20,734,144

Dallas Cowboys

$3,571,239

Denver Broncos

$3,300,000

Detroit Lions

$862,191

Green Bay Packers

$6,953,847

Houston Texans

$1,637,055

Indianapolis Colts

$4,950,629

Jacksonville Jaguars

$32,774,928

Kansas City Chiefs

$2,622,838

Los Angeles Rams

$933,521

Miami Dolphins

$9,137,544

Minnesota Vikings

$2,090,409

New England Patriots

$1,347,882

New Orleans Saints

$1,400,000

New York Giants

$11,193,231

New York Jets

$2,484,216

Oakland Raiders

$13,373,617

Philadelphia Eagles

$7,255,362

Pittsburgh Stealers

$3,000,327

San Diego Chargers

$2,287,176

San Francisco 49ers

$12,206,686

Seattle Seahawks

$11,587

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

$7,987,748

Tennessee Titans

$20,783,801

Washington Redskins

$5,837,734

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/2/25/11113374/nfl-salary-cap-2016-bengals-have-7-5-million-of-carryover-money

Around 38 mil if the cap is 154. That's probably enough to keep Adam Jones, at least 1 of Nelson or Iloka (maybe both but they may think Shawn Williams is ready), Vinnie Rey, and at least 1 of Marvin Jones or Sanu. Plus Sims, Thompson, Winston, etc.

Sounds right to me. Figure Jones, Jones and one of the Safeties cost $18-20M or so to keep combined. That takes us down to ~$20M. Rey and some of the other backups (and maybe a couple cheap outside FAs) probably cost another $7-10M, which takes us to $10-13M. That last $10M for rookie contracts, injuries, maybe an extension for Gio or Shaun Williams?

Looks like we're in pretty good shape to keep most of our key FAs. 

Around 38 mil if the cap is 154. That's probably enough to keep Adam Jones, at least 1 of Nelson or Iloka (maybe both but they may think Shawn Williams is ready), Vinnie Rey, and at least 1 of Marvin Jones or Sanu. Plus Sims, Thompson, Winston, etc.

Sounds right to me. Figure Jones, Jones and one of the Safeties cost $18-20M or so to keep combined. That takes us down to ~$20M. Rey and some of the other backups (and maybe a couple cheap outside FAs) probably cost another $7-10M, which takes us to $10-13M. That last $10M for rookie contracts, injuries, maybe an extension for Gio or Shaun Williams?

Looks like we're in pretty good shape to keep most of our key FAs.  

I would think they'd possibly go to Zeitler about an extension before Gio or Shawn Williams but only because his cap number for 2016

as of right now is a little over $8 million.  

Is the $154M the figure after the NFLPA found the NFL hiding that $120M that should have been in the player's pool?

How awesome was that? I hope they keep getting caught doing this shady shit until we see Goodell's head on a spike. He keeps making Bengals the scapegoat for everything, it'll be fun to see him learn the real reason the owners are paying him that $40m.

How awesome was that? I hope they keep getting caught doing this shady shit until we see Goodell's head on a spike. He keeps making Bengals the scapegoat for everything, it'll be fun to see him learn the real reason the owners are paying him that $40m.

I honestly wonder how criminal charges can't be filed for that whole scheme which is similar to just cooking the books.  Not paying your employees $120M that's due to them?  That's ethical.  Instead it's a "well, just repay and all is forgotten" type of deal for the NFL and back to printing money we go!

Van Pelt had a solid take on it if you haven't seen it.

I honestly wonder how criminal charges can't be filed for that whole scheme which is similar to just cooking the books.  Not paying your employees $120M that's due to them?  That's ethical.  Instead it's a "well, just repay and all is forgotten" type of deal for the NFL and back to printing money we go!

Van Pelt had a solid take on it if you haven't seen it.

Link?

Had to do some searching but found it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, if you had to do some searching that means I would've never found it.  Didn't know who or what a van Pelt was TBH.

"Cash-devouring monolith" is too kind.  "Bloated corrupt farce" maybe.

I would think they'd possibly go to Zeitler about an extension before Gio or Shawn Williams but only because his cap number for 2016

as of right now is a little over $8 million.  

Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get something done with Zeitler or Kirkpatrick. Makes sense for the Bengals to try to get something done.

But extensions are a 2-way street and it has to make sense for the players too. With Gio and Williams making next to nothing in 2016, they have a real incentive to try to get a deal done now and lock in a nice pay day and not get injured while playing for peanuts. With Zeitler and Kirkpatrick making $8M and $7M, they don't have to be in any rush to get an extension done.

If you're Zeitler, would you take a $6M a year extension now? Or would you take your $8M in 2016 and prepare to hit the open market in 2017 when the cap is going to be $160M plus?

Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get something done with Zeitler or Kirkpatrick. Makes sense for the Bengals to try to get something done.

But extensions are a 2-way street and it has to make sense for the players too. With Gio and Williams making next to nothing in 2016, they have a real incentive to try to get a deal done now and lock in a nice pay day and not get injured while playing for peanuts. With Zeitler and Kirkpatrick making $8M and $7M, they don't have to be in any rush to get an extension done.

If you're Zeitler, would you take a $6M a year extension now? Or would you take your $8M in 2016 and prepare to hit the open market in 2017 when the cap is going to be $160M plus?

You're right about it being a 2-way street.  I was looking into some contract stuff and stumbled upon this.  Apparently the Bengals

have the highest percentage of cap space in the league tied into the "Guard" position as of right now with just 3 players.  Those

3 being Zeitler, Clint Boling and Trey Hopkins.  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/guard/    

PFT  posted an article stating the cap for 2016 is going to be $155.27 million.  That doesn't include whatever 

carry over money each team has from 2015.  Spottrac.com has updated the cap for teams at the same number

so that puts the Bengals with $38,868,157 in cap space.  (10th in the league) in terms of available cap space. 

PFT article - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/26/salary-cap-for-2016-set-at-155-27-million-per-team/

Current NFL 2016 Team Cap Space on "Spottrac.com"  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Thanks, if you had to do some searching that means I would've never found it.  Didn't know who or what a van Pelt was TBH.

"Cash-devouring monolith" is too kind.  "Bloated corrupt farce" maybe.

NFL=BCF. Has a nice ring to it. And reported by the nodding donkeys of all sports media, ESPN? Maybe the jig will finally be up on the old BCF.

Boling looked decent last year but Zeitler IMO has been in reverse since his rookie season.  I bet his technique is flawless now, though.

Best offseason move they could make is to get Paul Alexander's old Bengals loser stink out of the building. That guy's the assistant Head Coach? What in the absolute fuck...

Archived