Bengals FA News/Rumors

I think a one year deal at that price works well for both Smith and the Vikings. He wasn't exactly dominant last year but I'm sure he still has something left in the tank.

Left in the tank? Hell he just turned 29 in January. The problem is getting him to keep his foot on the gas.

2 weeks into free agency. Is this where we offer Nick Fairley, Reuben Randle/Anquan Boldin and Karlos Dansby incentive laden prove it short term deals?

We're probably going to sign a WR at some point. None of the options look very good but I think they will at least add some competition.

-Boldin will turn 36 early next season. His numbers were way down last year and there aren't many 36-year old WRs still playing. Gives you nothing as a deep threat. 

-Randle is young but rumors are that he just isn't able to learn/understand offenses. Kind of a Jerome Simpson type vibe where he puts up some numbers but just frustrates the hell out of the coaches and quarterback with his mistakes. There's probably a little bit of upside there, but doesn't strike me as the type of guy the Bengals will want. (I really liked him in the draft 4 years ago and was definitely wrong about him.)

-Brandon LaFell seems like a decent option. He put up 3-straight 600+ yard seasons in Carolina and got a pretty good contract from NE. Had almost 1,000 yards his first year with the Pats but had a boatload of drops last year after missing all of preseason and camp with an injury. 

-Nate Washington is another possible vet. He turns 33 before the season but he's had a nice career and had some decent games last year. 

2 weeks into free agency. Is this where we offer Nick Fairley, Reuben Randle/Anquan Boldin and Karlos Dansby incentive laden prove it short term deals?

We will sign a WR before the draft so it is not painfully obvious to other teams that we will draft a WR early.

We're probably going to sign a WR at some point. None of the options look very good but I think they will at least add some competition.

-Boldin will turn 36 early next season. His numbers were way down last year and there aren't many 36-year old WRs still playing. Gives you nothing as a deep threat. 

-Randle is young but rumors are that he just isn't able to learn/understand offenses. Kind of a Jerome Simpson type vibe where he puts up some numbers but just frustrates the hell out of the coaches and quarterback with his mistakes. There's probably a little bit of upside there, but doesn't strike me as the type of guy the Bengals will want. (I really liked him in the draft 4 years ago and was definitely wrong about him.)

-Brandon LaFell seems like a decent option. He put up 3-straight 600+ yard seasons in Carolina and got a pretty good contract from NE. Had almost 1,000 yards his first year with the Pats but had a boatload of drops last year after missing all of preseason and camp with an injury. 

-Nate Washington is another possible vet. He turns 33 before the season but he's had a nice career and had some decent games last year. 

Boldins numbers were not way down. The rest I agree with. 

Roddy White would make some sense. 

I really don't see the Bengals going after another 30+ WR.

After MB got burned on Antonio Bryant I couldn't blame him, makes zero sense unless the guy is very special. The Falcons and 49ers need help at WR but they chose to let Boldin and White leave  so obviously they know what these guys have left in the tank. 

WRRueben Randle-Giants 25 57-797-8Riley Cooper-Eagles 29 21-327-2
WRAnquan Boldin-Redskins 36 69-789-4Andre Johnson-Texans 35 41-503-4
WRBrandon LaFell-Patriots 29 37-515-0Marques Colston-Saints 32 45-520-4
WRJames Jones-Packers 32 50-890-8Roddy White-Falcons 34 43-506-1
WRLeonard Hankerson-Bills 27 26-327-3Bryan Walters-Jaguars 29 32-368-1
WRLance Moore-Lions 33 29-337-4Greg Jennings-Dolphins 33 19-208-1

Boldins numbers were not way down. The rest I agree with. 

Roddy White would make some sense. 

I've always felt that yards per target are the best measure of a WR's performance. The elite guys are usually at 9+ yards per target. For example, AJ Green had 1,297 yards on 132 targets for 9.83 yards per target. Anything above 7.5 is pretty good. Marvin Jones had 7.92 (and almost 9 per target in 2013). Tyler Eifert was at 8.31 last year.

A lot of the older vets we are talking about may have put up okay total numbers, but it took them a lot of targets to do it. Boldin was all the way down to 7.11 yards per target after being an 8+ guy for his career. Roddy White was 7.23 after being a 9+ guy in his prime. 

How about James Jones as a stopgap?

Would be solid. I would think amongst Wright-Kumerow and Alford we have one player capable of being in the top three but that may take time. We also will likely draft a guy in the top 2 rounds. I am thinking Sterling Shepard in Rd 1 now. I love that guy. That seems early but we won't get him in 2 and Doctson and Treadwell will be gone. Then we sign one of the above 12 to a reasonable deal to be a bridge. Part of their role might just be to be a vet in the locker room. 

I've always felt that yards per target are the best measure of a WR's performance. The elite guys are usually at 9+ yards per target. For example, AJ Green had 1,297 yards on 132 targets for 9.83 yards per target. Anything above 7.5 is pretty good. Marvin Jones had 7.92 (and almost 9 per target in 2013). Tyler Eifert was at 8.31 last year.

A lot of the older vets we are talking about may have put up okay total numbers, but it took them a lot of targets to do it. Boldin was all the way down to 7.11 yards per target after being an 8+ guy for his career. Roddy White was 7.23 after being a 9+ guy in his prime. 

Thats definitely an interesting way to look at it. I wonder how much it has to do with QB quality and role in the offense though. 

Rueben Randle-Giants 25 57-797-88.855555556
Anquan Boldin-Redskins 36 69-789-47.172727273
Brandon LaFell-Patriots 29 37-515-06.959459459
James Jones-Packers 32 50-890-88.9
Leonard Hankerson-Bills 27 26-327-37.266666667
Lance Moore-Lions 33 29-337-47.837209302
Riley Cooper-Eagles 29 21-327-27.975609756
Andre Johnson-Texans 35 41-503-46.532467532
Marques Colston-Saints 32 45-520-47.76119403
Roddy White-Falcons 34 43-506-17.228571429
Bryan Walters-Jaguars 29 32-368-18
Greg Jennings-Dolphins 33 19-208-15.777777778

Nobody is touching Randle right now.  There's something wrong there especially since he's young and the market is so weak.  I imagine they will wait until after it doesn't affect compensatory picks to sign one of these guys to a near minimum contract.  This is going to play out for awhile.

Nobody is touching Randle right now.  There's something wrong there especially since he's young and the market is so weak.  I imagine they will wait until after it doesn't affect compensatory picks to sign one of these guys to a near minimum contract.  This is going to play out for awhile.

He's a really talented guy physically and makes some spectacular catches at times. 

But he's developed the reputation as a guy who is kind of an airhead and doesn't give great effort all the time. He is wildly inconsistent (see article here: http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/12/tom_coughlin_giants_takeaways_the_rueben_randle_pu.html)

One of the things not picked up in his stats is how his errors led to a lot of Eli Manning interceptions over the last few years. (See article here for example: http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/12/giants_rueben_randle_explains_what_happened_on_dis.html)

Maybe he'll put it all together at some point as he's still really young. Or he could go the direction of Jerome Simpson and end up running out of chances. The reports from the Giants end of things are really similar to when Jerome hit FA here. Despite some decent stats, the Bengals made basically no effort to keep Simpson and it seemed obvious that Dalton and the offensive coaches didn't trust him to run the right routes and he was at fault for some costly INTs.

Thats definitely an interesting way to look at it. I wonder how much it has to do with QB quality and role in the offense though. 

QB quality definitely has a role in it. The better QBs average more yards per passing attempt (which by the way is one of the best measures of how good a QB is also). So you do have to take that into account a little bit. For example, Russell Wilson had a really great 2015 season and each of his top 3 WRs all came in right around 10 yards per target. So you take those guys' numbers with a little grain of salt.

In terms of role in the offense though, I think that's one of the major benefits of the stat because it allows you to make more of an apples-to-apples comparison between WRs that play different roles. For example, a slot WR might average only 12 yards per catch, but if he's catching 75% of the balls thrown his way, he's right there at that 9 yards per target mark (Larry Fitzgerald is a good example though he came in closer to 8.5 with 75% catches and 11 yards per catch). Similarly, if a guy is a deep threat and only catching 50% of the balls thrown his way but averaging 18 yards per catch, he too is right there at 9 yards per target (Allen Robinson only caught about 50% but was over 9 per target due to all his big plays). 

Archived