How do we get Harvey fired?

I dunno....seemed appropriate to me.   Just not getting the hate for Coley,  he was praised far and wide universally on this board when he first started.  I don't see any precipitous fall off from then.  He doesn't hit a homerun article every time, but he is as good as any other I can remember.   Maybe we can coaxed Mark Purdy back.

I dunno....seemed appropriate to me.   Just not getting the hate for Coley,  he was praised far and wide universally on this board when he first started.  I don't see any precipitous fall off from then.  He doesn't hit a homerun article every time, but he is as good as any other I can remember.   Maybe we can coaxed Mark Purdy back.

Are you high? All of his articles are spun negatively. He sucks.

Are you high? All of his articles are spun negatively. He sucks.

hard core sports town without a championship of any sort in ages are pessimists by and large. As fans we are not rah-rah in band wagoners. Although every spring we're the eternal optimists. But anyway, pandering to cynical fans stokes feedback and that's critical in this day and age of instant social media. Hard core sports fans aren't into reading fluff about their teams. Red Sox, Yankee, Pussburg, and Patriot fans to name a few are insufferable gloats to their rivals but hyper critical on their own teams.

Coley seems like a good guy, but he has added nothing to the coverage of the Bengals. He doesn't seem to have cultivated any sources or anything at all (while guys like Dehner and Owzarcki (sp?) seem to get good inside info). Even worse than that though, he doesn't seem like he is real knowledgeable about the team. That leads to a lot of articles that just seem kind of empty and thrown together to get a few clicks or because he had a deadline to meet or whatever.

Coley seems like a good guy, but he has added nothing to the coverage of the Bengals. He doesn't seem to have cultivated any sources or anything at all (while guys like Dehner and Owzarcki (sp?) seem to get good inside info). Even worse than that though, he doesn't seem like he is real knowledgeable about the team. That leads to a lot of articles that just seem kind of empty and thrown together to get a few clicks or because he had a deadline to meet or whatever.

And he always fills them with recaps of the last playoff game and reminders of the playoff record. Fuckface Fowler constantly bags on Burfict and Coley won't say shit about Shazier or the stealer coaches' horse shit.

I'm going to stick up for Coley here. I work directly with journalists, editors, content managers, SIDs, etc. so of course I empathize with a profession that's become as much of a lightning rod for criticism as umpires and referees. And rightly so -- nothing exposes yourself as much as what you write and how you write it. Personally, I see such lazy and poor quality work across the board that I appreciate someone who puts in the time and effort that Coley does to improve his craft. He's a young kid who has a vision, and has worked hard since high school to get to where he is now. He sought out a mentor in the Atlanta area and continues to lean on him as he gains experience and builds his network. ESPN has rigid requirements and expectations that Coley has consistently exceeded.

You may not appreciate his style of writing and you may not care for what he has to say, but that doesn't mean he's not good at his job. The kid works his ass off and continues to put in the time and effort to get better, so at the very least I hope you appreciate his work ethic. I haven't met him personally yet but I know his mentor and others in his network who have nothing but high praise for Coley. This is a good gig for him - very good - but I doubt he'll be on this beat much longer.

I'm going to stick up for Coley here. I work directly with journalists, editors, content managers, SIDs, etc. so of course I empathize with a profession that's become as much of a lightning rod for criticism as umpires and referees. And rightly so -- nothing exposes yourself as much as what you write and how you write it. Personally, I see such lazy and poor quality work across the board that I appreciate someone who puts in the time and effort that Coley does to improve his craft. He's a young kid who has a vision, and has worked hard since high school to get to where he is now. He sought out a mentor in the Atlanta area and continues to lean on him as he gains experience and builds his network. ESPN has rigid requirements and expectations that Coley has consistently exceeded.

You may not appreciate his style of writing and you may not care for what he has to say, but that doesn't mean he's not good at his job. The kid works his ass off and continues to put in the time and effort to get better, so at the very least I hope you appreciate his work ethic. I haven't met him personally yet but I know his mentor and others in his network who have nothing but high praise for Coley. This is a good gig for him - very good - but I doubt he'll be on this beat much longer.

I appreciate you sticking up for him, but he regularly writes stuff that is stupid. Just saw another example today in his contribution to a NFL Nation piece about each team's biggest need:

cin.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Cincinnati Bengals

Wide receiver

Even with a couple key free-agency losses following the departures of Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu, the Bengals are in a relatively stable spot now from a depth standpoint. That said, the one place where the Bengals are comparatively thin is at receiver. They will be addressing the position's depth via the draft, likely adding a prospect in the first round and then maybe coming back with a Day 3 pick. Brandon LaFell's recent signing helped absorb Sanu's loss. It's all about replacing Jones now. -- Coley Harvey

He is the freaking beat writer and he thinks the Bengals already signed LaFell? Sure it sounds like a deal might get done with LaFell at some point, but "recent signing?" That is shoddy journalism and indefensible for a guy writing at a national outlet whose only job is covering one team. 

Archived