Ryan Shazier’s hit in playoffs will now be a penalty

Ryan Shazier’s hit in playoffs will now be a penalty

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 21, 2016, 2:07 PM EDT
ryanshaziergetty0809ftr_1oxbbew8vzy3919wfr9s4c6q27Getty Images

After Stealers linebacker Ryan Shazier leveled Bengals running back Giovani Bernard with a brutal helmet-to-helmet hit in the playoffs, the NFL said Shazier’s hit was legal. But it won’t be anymore.

NFL V.P. of Officiating Dean Blandino said today that under a new interpretation of the league’s rules against hits with the crown of the helmet, hits like Shazier’s will be illegal going forward.

Specifically, the new interpretation eliminates the requirement that a defender would have to “line up” his opponent in order for a hit with the crown of the helmet to be a penalty. Starting this season, when a defender lowers his head and forcibly hits with the crown of the helmet, it will be a foul, regardless of the angle the player takes.

The new interpretation comes too late for Bernard, but it’s a sensible decision by the NFL: At a time when the league calls brain injuries its greatest concern, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to allow brutal hits like the one Shazier put on Bernard.

I don't care what anybody says: I have seen way to many one sided calls to think this game is fair.  And,the way the media makes the Bengals out to be heathens is absolutely appalling.  Imagine the repricussions if it was a Bengal that got banned for a year? And, newest ESPN article makes reference to Bengals goading the Stealers.  You and I both know they are going to go for both Pac Man and Burfect next year to get them expelled.

I continue to, and will forever maintain that, it ALREADY WAS a penalty. What a fucking joke. 

It was. There has always been a general unnecessary roughness penalty. Slamming his helmet into Gio's face mask was unnecessary and deliberate.

To summarize:

- Carson Palmer rule: "Opponent shall not deliberately dive into and cave-in a QB's knees with intent to sever the ACL, MCL & patella tendons." 

- Keith Rivers Rule: "Opponent shall not deliberately blindside crack-back the side of a players face using helmet as a weapon with intent to break jaw & facial bones."

- Gio rule: "Opponent shall not deliberately spear an opponent in the head using full force with crown of helmet with intent to maim or kill followed by celebration." 

- Kenny Anderson rule: "Opponent shall not deliberately twist an opponents head off with intent to maim, paralyze, or cause death."  (see: Linda Blair in the Excorcist) 

Anyone see the common denominator here? 

To summarize:

- Carson Palmer rule: "Opponent shall not deliberately dive into and cave-in a QB's knees with intent to sever the ACL, MCL & patella tendons." 

- Keith Rivers Rule: "Opponent shall not deliberately blindside crack-back the side of a players face using helmet as a weapon with intent to break jaw & facial bones."

- Gio rule: "Opponent shall not deliberately spear an opponent in the head using full force with crown of helmet with intent to maim or kill followed by celebration." 

- Kenny Anderson rule: "Opponent shall not deliberately twist an opponents head off with intent to maim, paralyze, or cause death."  (see: Linda Blair in the Excorcist) 

Each rule was a direct result of a dirty cheapshotting cocksucker that plays for the supposedly classiest team in the NFL that always does it the right way?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, we'll probably be the first team that is victim to this SUPPOSED new rule.

I was thinking exactly that before I read your post. We should have a contest and guess who will be the player to be penalized. Just a note though, Burfict will be out the first 4 games.

To summarize:

It was the Tom Brady rule after KC took him out.  The league didn't care enough about a Bengals QB to put that in place then.  In fact I even remember people saying the Brady rule would not have had any impact on what Kimo did, different hits. 

I'm gonna be the asshole.  Flame and downvote if you want.

If you want to stop the whining and bitching,  PLAY BETTER.  You already know that the refs aren't gonna police every damn thing in the game.  They are ultimately human, just like us, and are subject to prior offenses and bias, no matter how people claim to judge objectively.

If we played better, then even with the bullshit, we would have beat them.  A lot of us are praising Pac and VB because they were balls enough to retaliate in the best way how--playing better, especially VB, with his game of a lifetime in my opinion--sack on Ben to temporarily got him out of the game, made the pick that should have sealed it, and otherwise willing the rest of the defense to fight back, and Pac's clutch runback to put us in position to get the lead thanks to A.J x 2 in the endzone...I still say that just beating them on the field would sufficed--but they both fucked up, Pac more than VB, for what was done.  The personal foul on VB for the hit on Antonio Brown sucked, but in retroset, it can't be helped. So I'm disappointed at VB but I can accept.  So what, it's now 1st and 10 from midfield with less than thirty seconds on the clock,  I'm pretty sure the Bengals would defend and hold there. A 50+ yarder field goal isn't a chip shot, and it's not someone like Elam of Justin Tucker out there for a potential game-winner the other way. That ish from Pac fucked us.  Already at midfield, Pac's infraction moved that from midfield to the 35.  Now it's a chippie...Instead of bitching at the other team, it would be better to just line up, and prepare for 1st,  and knowing Antonio's out of the game,  Stealers would still have to throw.   

.....Damn it,  this had gone and brought to the top of my head again....damn it....

Gio endorses call for safety, can't wait for 2016

Posted 8 hours ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

020416-bernard-gio-2.jpg

BOCA RATON, Fla. _ In the end, Bengals running back Giovani Bernard thought it was hilarious that the NFL on Monday handed down “The Giovani Interpretation,” in his old stomping grounds.

“Boca is where I was a young buck in elementary school and middle school,” Bernard said Tuesday night from his nearby Fort Lauderdale home after reading up on the rule. “I didn’t really know about it until today. My Twitter account blew up and I had to do some research.”

What he discovered is that thanks to his concussion in January’s Wild Card Game, the NFL has re-interpreted its crown-of-the-helmet hits.  If Stealers linebacker Ryan Shazier gave that shot to Bernard in the flat today after he caught a pass and “took a nap on the field,” there would have been no fumble at the Stealers 25 on third-and-nine late in the third quarter and there would have been a 15-yard penalty that the Bengals would have been close to a first-and-goal while trailing, 15-0.

“I’m glad they’re making the game safe for everyone,” Bernard said. “That’s number one. Letting everybody play longer and add years to their careers, it was a good thing. The fact I am part of that play isn’t the greatest thing. You never want to be the guy that gets knocked out, but if it’s furthering the safety of the game, I’m glad to be a part of it.”

Bernard has no problem with Shazier, who lowered his helmet and buried it in Bernard’s cheek.

“He was playing football. He’s a good player,” Bernard said. “He’s doing his thing.  Just a young guy trying to make a name for himself.”

After he was out cold for what looked to be a good five minutes on the field, Bernard remembered his name. He remembers watching the heart-breaking fourth quarter in the locker room with the injured, safety Reggie Nelson, cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, and wide receiver James Wright.

“I took a nap on the field,” Bernard said. “But I was ready to come back and play the next week. I remember the doctors saying when a person gets completely knocked out, he usually recovers faster than someone who just gets woozy.”

Bernard could care less the call would not stand today.

“It doesn’t matter now. It’s over,” he said. “It’s time to get to the next season and be happy about it.”

And Bernard, as he heads into his fourth year, is all about the next season.

“Dude, I just want to play another game and I want this next season to come so quickly,” Bernard said. “The last couple of years we lost, but things just didn’t work out. This past year the way it ended for everyone, it leaves that much more of a bitter taste in my mouth.  I want to get back on the field so badly and I’m sure every guy in that locker room wants to get back on the field more than ever.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Gio-endorses-call-for-safety-cant-wait-for-2016/17dda4f4-f071-4569-a33f-bca10cdbf7b5

Doesn't matter, the NFL will still get the same viewership out of all the ones complaining here how bad the NFL is.  Why SHOULD they change anything they do?  The support will be there regardless.  They have no incentive to change the way they operate because the way they currently operate gets fans to talk about their team ad nauseum.  To take breaks or to neglect their work altogether, and to talk about the injustice(s) the NFL has burdened their favorite NFL team with and how they're so pissed about it they're going to continue to watch the NFL and talk about it on a message board, dedicating yet even more energy to the NFL.  

The joke's on us......  

Doesn't matter, the NFL will still get the same viewership out of all the ones complaining here how bad the NFL is.  Why SHOULD they change anything they do?  The support will be there regardless.  They have no incentive to change the way they operate because the way they currently operate gets fans to talk about their team ad nauseum.  To take breaks or to neglect their work altogether, and to talk about the injustice(s) the NFL has burdened their favorite NFL team with and how they're so pissed about it they're going to continue to watch the NFL and talk about it on a message board, dedicating yet even more energy to the NFL.  

The joke's on us......  

Don't know about you, but I haven't watched a game on anything other than air broadcast since the playoff debacle. I have canceled my NFL Now subscription and I will not purchase any NFL licensed products.

Don't know about you, but I haven't watched a game on anything other than air broadcast since the playoff debacle. I have canceled my NFL Now subscription and I will not purchase any NFL licensed products.

I did not watch a single play of any game after that abortion (it being broadcast in a bar or restaurant in which I happened to be patronizing notwithstanding), nor did I have any desire to do so... 

BFITO and others are right, the rule was already there in black and white but the league, the media and especially Steeler fans keep making excuses (or parroting the excuses of others) as to why it wasn't a penalty.  Remember, the league and the media *originally* said that it wasn't a foul because Gio "was an established runner" or "wasn't defenseless".  After many quoted the "crown of the helmet" rule and pointed out that defenselessness doesn't even come into it, the league is now stating that there is some phantom/implicit "judgement" component to the rule where if the defender comes into the runner "at an angle" or "not lined up" with him, it's not a foul.   This is of course bullshit, and since the rule again has nothing of this in it we're left to either think the league gives special leeway to referees that nobody knows about (possible, but unlikely here), or the league is just making excuses; I believe the latter.  Oh, and watch the hit again - Shazier lined him up straight on anyway.

Nice.  It's going to be difficult at first, but knowing it's the right thing will make it much easier for me.  Nothing that generates any revenue for the NFL.....that's the goal.  Ultimate goal is to stop watching NFL altogether, which I'm not all that far from as it is.   

Nice.  It's going to be difficult at first, but knowing it's the right thing will make it much easier for me.  Nothing that generates any revenue for the NFL.....that's the goal.  Ultimate goal is to stop watching NFL altogether, which I'm not all that far from as it is.   

Like Scharm loved to point out to me.. I doubt the NFL cares. But I care. And it feels right.

Archived