Batman v Superman, Dawn of Justice

Jason

basically I'm hearing its a hell of a lot of fun, but the plot is a jumbled mess with way too much going on.

One review I saw said the entire Batman vs Superman conflict could have been resolved with a brief conversation.  In other words, its not a difference in ideals like Civil War is doing, but rather Batman/Superman simply fighting without bothering to state their positions before hand.

That's not really saying much... 

True because I hated Man Of Steel. 

It has some editing issues, and some moments where they were foreshadowing things to come without much explanation, to include what I think were Lex Luthors motivations for what he was doing, and the some a couple of corny lines. 

But Afflec was a good batman, was an ok Bruce Wayne. Gal Gadot was a awesome wonder woman and an ok Dianna, and of course Cavil was about the same as he was in MoS. 

If you look at it as a stand alone then it falls pretty flat, if you look at it as a setting up things for the Justice League, and realize the things they didnt explain in this movie will get explained down the line then its entertaining. 

I'd give it a 7 our of 10

got to see it finally this morning and...wow.  It may be the most disappointing movie I've ever seen, and it deserves all of the criticism its getting.  The acting is fine, the dialogue for the most part is fine.  The plot is an absolute mess.

There were a number of scenes that they needed to just flat cut from the movie, including most of the Justice League stuff (not counting Wonder Woman, who actually was an integral part of this movie's plot). It was just shoehorned in with no context.  It would have been cool if they had gotten it to work, but there was already too much going on to try to fit all of that (well) in. And there are plot holes all over the place. 

The actual Batman/Superman fight was cool from the way Batman prepared for it (minus the waste of showing him workout), but it still remains a fight that didn't need to happen from Superman's perspective, and the reason they actually stopped fighting was completely stupid.

The best part of the movie was the ballsy ending.  I know it follows the comics, but I didn't see it coming just because its so early in the setup of the universe. Kudos to them for that, but the movie on a whole was full of so many missed opportunities.  a cut scene here, a tweak of the plot here.  If you edit this movie better, there's a potentially incredible film in it with a couple more tweaks. And its the editing that I've seen bare the brunt of the criticism from people who have seen the movie.  A good example is the Batman/Lex confrontation. For whaterver reason it takes place after a scene that doesn't work well but had the confrontation taken place right before that scene, it works so much better.

There were just so many...odd choices in this movie; a movie from a major studio with so much riding on it.  They had to get this one right, and they didn't because they tried to catch up to Marvel in one movie what took Marvel 4 movies over a 4yr span to accomplish.

I disagree wholeheartedly that this movie is a better movie than Man of Steel.  MoS had so much of a better, cohesive script.

got to see it finally this morning and...wow.  It may be the most disappointing movie I've ever seen, and it deserves all of the criticism its getting.  The acting is fine, the dialogue for the most part is fine.  The plot is an absolute mess.

There were a number of scenes that they needed to just flat cut from the movie, including most of the Justice League stuff (not counting Wonder Woman, who actually was an integral part of this movie's plot). It was just shoehorned in with no context.  It would have been cool if they had gotten it to work, but there was already too much going on to try to fit all of that (well) in. And there are plot holes all over the place. 

The actual Batman/Superman fight was cool from the way Batman prepared for it (minus the waste of showing him workout), but it still remains a fight that didn't need to happen from Superman's perspective, and the reason they actually stopped fighting was completely stupid.

The best part of the movie was the ballsy ending.  I know it follows the comics, but I didn't see it coming just because its so early in the setup of the universe. Kudos to them for that, but the movie on a whole was full of so many missed opportunities.  a cut scene here, a tweak of the plot here.  If you edit this movie better, there's a potentially incredible film in it with a couple more tweaks. And its the editing that I've seen bare the brunt of the criticism from people who have seen the movie.  A good example is the Batman/Lex confrontation. For whaterver reason it takes place after a scene that doesn't work well but had the confrontation taken place right before that scene, it works so much better.

There were just so many...odd choices in this movie; a movie from a major studio with so much riding on it.  They had to get this one right, and they didn't because they tried to catch up to Marvel in one movie what took Marvel 4 movies over a 4yr span to accomplish.

I disagree wholeheartedly that this movie is a better movie than Man of Steel.  MoS had so much of a better, cohesive script.

If you cut that stuff then your left with no motivation for Wonder Woman to be in the movie at all, unless you're suggesting that Lex would only have her files on his hard drive and not the other guys files, but that wouldnt make much sense. 

My thing is they could have done a better job explaining things to the people who were not comic book fans about some of the things that were going on, especially in Batman's dream sequences. I found that I had to fill in the holes from Zack Snyder interviews after the fact. Like I found myself wondering what those winged solders were in there and had to go look up what para demons were. Then looked up how the Flash is able to time travel, and then caught a Snyder interview talking about the Anti-Life equation which has the ability to do mind control which I summation is why Lex was acting the way he was. None of which since Im not a comic book fan was at all explained....to a point i get that as you dont want to reveal everything right away, but it created all sorts of plot problems.  

And we will never agree but it is better than MoS, I know people are saying they both killed in this movie (though I dont remember Superman killing in it other than Doomsday) but Batman only killed in his dream sequence. Killing Zod, even if it set up using his DNA to create Doomsday (and what looks to be Steppenwolf) ...killing isnt in superman's ethos, so it ruined the whole movie for me. 

Superman kills a terrorist in the first five minutes of the movie. Way worse than killing Zod, which I was OK with. I don't even hate him killing the terrorist other than it makes the whole Senate hearing lose credibility (that and he easily could have taken care of the guy without killing him). I Actually love the idea of the Senate hearing and think it ties great into the themes of Man of steel, and it's clear he was being framed by Lex for most of the murders but superman actually did end up killing one of them. So he is guilty just not as guilty as they are questioning he is.  I wish they had stayed on that track.  The whole "can/should Superman, an alien, be trusted" that both the Senate and Bruce Wayne parts center on early in the movie. 

It also weakens Superman's position that Batman is too aggressive. You can't have a part of the plot be that Superman thinks Batman crosses a line when Superman kill someone in the first five minutes of the movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for the Justice league stuff, yeah I do think it would've been OK and they just cut it down to the photo. They completely glossed over how and why Lex has obtain all of this information. I get that the reveal will be in future movies, but there just has to be some context. Further, while a smart person can figure it out, they gloss over Why lex wants both Superman and Batman dead. Superman for the same reasons that Bruce Wayne does, and Batman because he stole from lex.

I still think it's a big mistake to have the flash vision sequence in there. It's cool as a standalone scene, but it just does not fit in with the flow of the movie. Further, even as someone who knows more about superheroes than the average person, even I didn't know that the flash could infiltrate peoples dreams and give them visions. I know he can time travel, but  inception (essentially) was new to me. Further they made no effort to explain it and give a context.

There was just so much in this movie that they made no effort to explain. Comic book fans can put the pieces together and get a good idea, but the average moviegoer probably left the movie confused as hell. That's a huge problem and why it's getting horrible reviews and a huge drop off in the box office this week.

Superman kills a terrorist in the first five minutes of the movie. Way worse than killing Zod, which I was OK with. I don't even hate him killing the terrorist other than it makes the whole Senate hearing lose credibility (that and he easily could have taken care of the guy without killing him). I Actually love the idea of the Senate hearing and think it ties great into the themes of Man of steel, and it's clear he was being framed by Lex for most of the murders but superman actually did end up killing one of them. So he is guilty just not as guilty as they are questioning he is.  I wish they had stayed on that track.  The whole "can/should Superman, an alien, be trusted" that both the Senate and Bruce Wayne parts center on early in the movie. 

It also weakens Superman's position that Batman is too aggressive. You can't have a part of the plot be that Superman thinks Batman crosses a line when Superman kill someone in the first five minutes of the movie.

Which is exactly why the idea of Superman killing anyone is ridiculous 

As for the Justice league stuff, yeah I do think it would've been OK and they just cut it down to the photo. They completely glossed over how and why Lex has obtain all of this information. I get that the reveal will be in future movies, but there just has to be some context. Further, while a smart person can figure it out, they gloss over Why lex wants both Superman and Batman dead. Superman for the same reasons that Bruce Wayne does, and Batman because he stole from lex.

I still think it's a big mistake to have the flash vision sequence in there. It's cool as a standalone scene, but it just does not fit in with the flow of the movie. Further, even as someone who knows more about superheroes than the average person, even I didn't know that the flash could infiltrate peoples dreams and give them visions. I know he can time travel, but  inception (essentially) was new to me. Further they made no effort to explain it and give a context.

There was just so much in this movie that they made no effort to explain. Comic book fans can put the pieces together and get a good idea, but the average moviegoer probably left the movie confused as hell. That's a huge problem and why it's getting horrible reviews and a huge drop off in the box office this week.

They didnt even gloss over it, they didnt explain it at all. 

I agree the Flash scene wasnt needed

Oh and Metropolis and Gotham from what Ive read are not close to each other, that was done for the movie.

Archived